Just had a scam phone call

I've just had a phone call, not even number withheld, from a guy called Michael who said he was from Microsoft Windows, to ask to speak to my OH because their computer was reporting that it was infected with a virus.

Ok, firstly I wouldn't expect Microsoft to be phoning up every person that has a computer virus on their PC.

Secondly, when I tell you that OH is away and has their computer with them then I would expect you to understand that it is impossible for me to therefore turn on their computer so that you can walk me through the steps needed to get rid of the virus. Especially as unless you've got the instructions for every single piece of anti-virus software then you aren't going to be able to walk me through it.

Finally, when I tell you that I work with computers, I test computer software for a living, and that I know perfectly well how to run a scan and remove any viruses that might show up then you really should realise that you are talking to the wrong person.

It seems that there's a nice little phone scam doing the rounds as my mother-in-law and father-in-law have both received the same phone call. Apparently the guy that rung father-in-law got quite nasty when he refused to do it.

Comments

• i get them all the time........i just say that i don't pwn a computer or s lsptop so they are very clever to find s problem......they quickly ring offimage

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

This one's been doing the rounds for a while now, I had a similar call a few months ago. It took me a while to get my head round the reason for the call, but at least I kept them on the phone for a while whilst I quizzed them.  It all sort of fizzled out when I asked for a number I could call them back on.

It's sad to think that a lot of gullible people must get sucked in with this shit, so I say keep them on the phone as long as possible - if you've got nothing better to do - without letting on that you know they're on the fiddle.

• seren, I had the same thought if they ring back asking to speak to me.

phil, I've still got the number logged on my phone, not sure if its possible to report the call to someone.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    My dad ha a similar call. He must have got them so confused with his questions that they ended up hanging up on him!
  • Emmy, that's fab.

I'd almost be tempted to play along with it while actually doing nothing to see what they said to do. Wonder at which point they'd ask you to download something from a website or ask for credit card details so you could buy some software to remove the virus!

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

I had this too.  They rang twice.  I knew it was a scam but kept asking them maddeningly stupid questions.  Also the kids were genuinely playing up so I kept having to leave the phone on the table to deal with them.  The last time I went back they had hung up.  Haven't called back since.  Funny that...

• Use the Eric Morecambe response,"I'm sorry, we don't have a phone in this house", and hang up.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    How about "I've only got an ipad?"
  • Nurse Ratched (Baconlube CEO) wrote (see)

Use the Eric Morecambe response,"I'm sorry, we don't have a phone in this house", and hang up.

I think I must have missed that one but I do like that. I'll have to remember it for next time someone rings up to try and sell me something.
    The other thing would be to tell them you're going to turn the computer on and then leave them hanging on the phone.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    JvR wrote (see)

Emmy, that's fab.

I'd almost be tempted to play along with it while actually doing nothing to see what they said to do. Wonder at which point they'd ask you to download something from a website or ask for credit card details so you could buy some software to remove the virus!

The thing is that he tries to understand because he wants to learn... if it's anything like his call to the 02 technical hotline about his wifi connection (where do I plug my computer into?) - it must have been a great listen!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

a guy at work when he gets similar calls simply replies "wibble" to everything they ask, until they eventually lose interest.

Makes me chuckle

• thers an American comedian called Tom Mabe gives telemarketers a really bad time - this is him pretending to be at a murder scene after he gets a call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I

being cynical part of me wonders if its all a set up, but in any case its very funny! If it is real i wish i could be that quick at thinking up a good responseimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Max's mum - that has just made my morning!

• I just creased up when i first heard it!

• Max's Mum, thanks for that link, I'm going to have to have a listen to it later as I've not got my headphones to hand and I don't think it might go down to well at work. Read the captions and its awesome. Made my day image

Emmy, your dad sounds brilliant, my parents aren't really technically minded, in-laws tend to ask me to sort out computer problems when I see them. Once you tell them that its ok to do something then they get the hang of it though.

• Yeah, that's been on the news pretty much lately. Well, I didn't expect to get a call like that myself but I did. This guy who said his name was Harris told me Microsoft has detected a virus in my computer and he called to help me remove it. All I needed to do was purchase the antivirus software and pay the service fee for $150. I was amazed listening to how Harris try to sell me his services. If it was a different situation and he was selling a different product, like a vacuum cleaner maybe, I just might have been another buyer for him. But it's disgusting to realize that this professional-sounding man was a lousy scammer. He never even bothered to ask me if I was using a windows computer. Because I wasn't. I got a mac. I hung up.

• I got Harris' phone number and reported it to http://www.callercenter.com and the FTC.

• I either pass the phone to my youngest son or put the phone down off the hook till they've gone.It's their phone bill.

• I do the same as Seren and tell them I don't have a pooter...they insist that I do own one...so I then tell them I live here not them and I know there isn't a pooter in the house.

I do worry about my mum & dad getting this type of call...we're good to go if it's my mum who answers the phone as I don't think she'd have a clue how to switch their pooter on.

• ................ hang on a minute,   I will just go and get my laptop,,,,,,,,   it is amazing sometimes how long they sit there waiting for you to come back....image

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Tell them you've gone for a swim.....
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

I had a similar call a few months ago. Obviously a scam.

I thanked him profusely for such good service and asked for his name as I wanted him to get some recognition from my mate who's European Service Director for Microsoft (which he is).

It went very quiet and then I hung up.

• Apparently the called an 80something year old relation of mine, and got all their bank details etc...

Bank were very helpful sorting it out with the old dear. 

I actually own a landline purely for the ADSL, I haven't had a phone plugged in for at least 3 years image so I don't get any annoying calls... In fact I just don't get any calls image