Running Tempo runs too quick!

Another daft question.   If I run a 6 mile tempo run 30 secs a mile quicker than quoted on McMillian am I not get any benefit?

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

If you're capable of running a tempo run 30 secs a mile quicker than quoted on McMillan, you're fitter than you thought or you've worked it out wrong!  What stats are you using?  Were your guts hanging out afterwards or was it very comfortable?

• For me that 30 secs would be 5k pace so you are working it out wrong
  • Well I am going off a marathon time of 3:51 from March in Blackpool.   So a 4 month old race.   My guts were not hanging out and could of carried for a couple of more miles I reckon,.

I have been struglling with running at easy pace recently but maybe that is because of a Synus problem and the heat.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Can I take it you managed a 6 mile tempo effort at around 7:30/m then?  If this is the case, it would suggest that your marathon time is soft compared to what you're capable of at shorter distances, e.g. from 3:51 your 10k equivalent pace is 7:55 but you can clearly run quicker than this if you're virtually covering the distance quicker in training with something left in the tank.  If you haven't got any recent (good) race times over 5k - half marathon range I would suggest scheduling a fast 5k or 10k to revise your training paces, and in the mean time just use perceived effort for your tempo runs.  Anything around 3 - 6 miles continuous at a "hard but not killing yourself" effort level will be working somewhere around your threshold so you'll definitely benefit.

• Thanks Phil.   I did 6 1/2 miles at 6:30 average.   The reason why I asked is because of I have been struggling with some runs some days being easy and then others seeming a struggle.

• if you can do 6.5 miles at 6:30 average as a training run then you are capable of at least a sub 40 minute 10k. This would predict a marathon time of around 3 hours 6 minutes. So as phil says it looks as though you've either had MAJOR improvements in fitness over the past few months, or your marathon pace is a bit slow relative to shorter distances. So I'd also suggest doing some shorter races and creating a plan from those, which will provide far more suitable paces; you're clearly far faster than your current plan thinks you are.

• shale my Tempo run was about 7:30 min miles.

• spen71 wrote (see)

Thanks Phil.   I did 6 1/2 miles at 6:30 average.   The reason why I asked is because of I have been struggling with some runs some days being easy and then others seeming a struggle.

I guess i was fooled by that sentence!

• imageSorry a typo.  I do apologise

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

What Phil said.  Have you got a local Park run?  I'm on a fairly steep improvement curve at the moment (coming back from having a baby) and finding my training paces keep getting out of date really quickly.  So have been doing a Park run a month to adjust them whilst also training for a Half.  It's also really satisfying to see the progression. I never used to race 5k's before but have started to enjoy them

• I have never raced below half marathon pace tbh.  Would not know what pace to start out at!

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

That's the beauty of the Parkrun.  If you balls up the pacing you can just do another one next week!  image