Is this joke Racist?

13»

Comments

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

I think what is even funnier than any joke, is when people show mock offence, or who become indignant on behalf of others, as in the politically correct brigade. A joke is meant to be fun and will always poke funin one direction or other.

Given that your posting record is basically a history of snarky and unpleasant comments, your definition of 'mock offence' and 'politically correct brigades' and 'poke funin' are unlikely to shared by many people.

• bos1 wrote (see)
      Some jokes clearly have an intention only of saying "muslims are bombers!",  "Irish are stupid!" and signalling that to like minded people.

Don't forget nun's all being soapy masturbators !

• The discussion about the joke came after the case last week of the male who phoned up the airport when his flight was cancelled and stated he was going to bomb it. His arguement was that no offence or threat was made as he was joking.  A point of view that was supportive by a lot of people including some leading comics  So the discussion started about whether humour can go to far and someone used that joke as an example. I'll admit I smirked at it at first but then though it could cross a line which in turn started a debate over what is and isn't racist in humour.

I saw Reg D Hunter (Black American Comic) last year and the first part of his act is about the "N" word and how he will quite happily use it yet his Bristish friends/colleagues simply won't use the word and he can't understand as an American why the Bristish are scared of using words incase we cause offence! I think any use of the "N" word goes too far. But he argues that comics should cause offence and make us question the staus quo  and that without the ability to cfause offence then humour doesn't work. 

• Nearly all jokes and humour are about some real fear or concern. People make a joke because they can't talk about the thing in a direct way.

• The great comedian raise awareness and ridicule prejudice.  Chris Rock and his ilk holds up established stereotypes and says 'What sort of idiot actually thinks like this?'

That is completely different to insideous casual racism, which, whilst it might not be the intention to cause offence, and maybe no one is offended by something so banal, reinforces negative attitudes. 

See a group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....

If people hear it often enough some will come to believe it and this is the root cause of mistrust, prejudice, fear, hatred, 'paki-bashing' and murder, which, have no doubt has result in more people dead in the UK over the years than islamic terrorist activities.

• Lou Diamonds wrote (see)

See a group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....group of muslims - One of them might be a terrorist.....

If people hear it often enough some will come to believe it and this is the root cause of mistrust, prejudice, fear, hatred, 'paki-bashing' and murder, which, have no doubt has result in more people dead in the UK over the years than islamic terrorist activities.

Lou  

Don't agree I think we underestimate how intelligent people are the vast majority of people know the statement you made to be untrue Recent cases the majority of people accused of terrorism have been Muslim in fact two were convicted this week however are all terrorists Muslims NO  in fact I would say less than half a percentage are, just as less than half a percentage of all Irish Catholics, East European Christains are terrorists. 

Following the recent Rochdale case are all male Muslims sex offenders  NO  but it was highlighted that there was a problem that parts of the Rochdale community were turning a blind eye too.

I think too many people are afraid to speak out and highlight the extremists amongst us and that is a greater threat than un-PC humour.

• Dreamtwister wrote (see)

Disagree NW4 saying one comedian is just the same as another. It's how you approach the subject. It's not the subject.

Bernard Manning was a racist... Chris Rock, Reg DHunter and I think I've heard Stu Lee talking on the subject in a brilliant and funny way

I agree BM made a living out of being racist where as Chris Rock et al make a living out of laughing at racism and the people who have adopted it as a cause celeb to further their own agendas.

• MikeFrog wrote (see)

What word do you use when a "joke" targets a particular group (like Muslims or Christians) but that group isn't really a race, so "racist" doesn't sound quite right?

The generic term that covers all the "protected characteristics" is Discriminatory