Comments

• Hilarious, Tricky. The complete lack of understanding irony displayed by mike/Nick must be an elaborate joke on their part. Either that, or they have a split personality..double hmmm..
  • Sorry Nick, it's your deadpan delivery
  • So...Bolton Park Run Mike Rushton is the name to look out for.

I just lurve these threads.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Fraser...he's changed his name now...but the pressure is slightly beyond what it should be.

ps i wish my local park run had sections on track, instead of dodgy gravelly mud which when wet is a write off.

(awaits certain people rocking on telling me what a fast course it is....you know who you are)

• Thanks for those additional strategic insights Nick. Just to summarise, I should just tuck in and conserve my energy running the first couple of hours at 20km/h pace, then utilising my natural fountain of youthful energy, kick from there on to the finish. Makes sense really as at 44 I'm not getting any younger although I do have some racing flats. Well, they were normal running shoes when I bought them 9 years ago, but they really are flat now.

I reckon as long as I do intervals once a week, shouldn't be a problem. Could even throw in a long run too if I want to be absolutely sure. Any other tips gratefully appreciated. Anything you can add Mike?
  • My names Michael Rushton on the parkrun.

Tricky if your running marathons, you evidently have more experience and knowledge than me in running so I don't know what advice I can give.

Just ran my first hill reps session, legs are tired, having an ice bath to recover! image 

• I can now verify that Nick has been taking the piss all along although no doubt he will counter otherwise. He plays a straight bat alright.

Good luck Saturday, Mike. For all the jesting, I hope you attain your goals and if not you are sure to be a good runner whatever.
  • Mmm, stuff to reflect on here. Thanks Mike and thanks too Nick. I've had many people comment on my youthfulness, although that was about 26 years ago. However, I feel really motivated to train hard now as Rio is only 4 years away and I should use the fountain whilst I've still got it.

Good luck on Saturday Mike. Sub-17 this week and who knows what the following week could bring. Go for it fella!!

• Thanks for the support!

Tricky - I hope you don't mean me getting sub 17 this week, off a 18:48 last week, and this weeks route being harder? image

I will stay on the tail of first place and try to stay with him/her, will be tough though, some of these guys have been running for years and I don't have the legs they do yet.

• I wouldn't waiver in your self belief Mike. 18:48 after 4 weeks training of 15mpw, not sure what can hold you back. OK, maybe sub-17 will be hard this week, but maybe by the week after you can do it? A young wolf like you should be able to tear up all those old dogs, worn down by the tens of thousands of training miles they have already run.

Mind you, I've noticed in all those interviews with the elite sportsmen and women on the tv at the moment, they do seem to work extremely hard and have been doing it for a while. In fact, I hardly ever hear them saying that they combine their main sport with something else. They seem so single-minded and focused.

Anyway,  with the footie season just round the corner Mike, I'm sure that extra training will help lift you even further. Do you think you can be in to the low 16 minutes by mid September? Cheers, good luck tmrw.

image image

• If I can avoid injury and progress in my training I think in 2 months I can break my parkrun record. image

Mid september is a bit too soon i think. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mike, 90% of this thread is silly nonsense, so let's get real here.

If you break 16:06 on a measured licensed 5k road race/park run before October 6th (the saturday) I will personally drive to your house and kiss your feet.

Unless that 18.48 effort was run with a cigar on, or involved a quick sit on a bench reading the paper there's no chance pal. However, it is guaranteed you can take that 18:48 down hugely over time.

This game is about consistent and long term training, you do yourself no favours setting silly unattainable short term targets.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

If you break 16:06 on a measured licensed 5k road race/park run before October 6th (the saturday) I will personally drive to your house and kiss your feet.

You may want to give it a couple of hours after he's run 16:06 before kissing his feet.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

he's got to break 16.06 Dachs in the next 2 months

... 16.06 = no feet kissing image

• Stevie G's not wrong Mike. The most sensible way to establish a goal is not to say what you can achieve in a month's time. It's better to look a few years down the road, having a grand target. Then you ask yourself, "What do I have to do in order to realise that goal?". Do I leave home and take up altiture training in Mexico, do I run twice a day six times a week, do I give up drinking beer and playing football.... etc etc. So it's a working backwards. I want to be there in the future, so thias is the next step i have to take. In your case it may be to join a running club, or to start running 4x/ week. I don't know.

What I do know is that if you set an elite goal, you have to make elite sacrifices. Also, it's not a sensible goal to set your ambitions relative to other people's performances - perhaps not until you get to a very high level of competition. It may well be that there are people on this thread who have runs tens of thousands of miles in training, in rain and wind and snow and turned their guts out on to the pavement/ track in order to become faster.

So if you just turn up and say that because you are naturally talented, you are going to beat people like us in a month or two (which you might!), then it's a bit of a slap in the face for those who've done all that work. Mind you, I have a feeling like Stevie G is suggesting, that the improvements will be quite tough to come by unless you become a lot more focused and dedicated.

So we may have been joshing with you a bit, but don't doubt the sincerity that we'd like you to do well and succeed in realising your goals. Just don't be a muppet and think that there is any other way to do it other than through bl**dy hard work, whatever your age or talent. Wishing you well.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good post tricky, you've reduced the silly posts percentage on the thread substantially with that one.

• You may be right again Stevie although I don't think you've brought all factors into the equation. Apparently this thread has been read 1199 times so far. So it must be a lot more entertaining than it has been informative. No one has been nasty either which is good.

I might also add, that good advice has been dispensed here to our young friend, but as with everything in life, we don't always realise the value of what is in front of us, at the moment it is offered. I've had so many slapdowns in life in one way or another but that's the sort of process you go through to become perceptive and aware of others. I guess it makes life fun.

Now Mike, I'm begging you to make all us smug old gits look like chumps by doing the run of your life tmrw. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

predictions for tomorrow's race? 18.48 to beat?

i go 18.41

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

All we can guarantee is that it will be 5 to 10 seconds faster than second place, because Mike will have been hanging on his shoulder until the sprint finish.

• I'm backing youthful exuberance - 18.30