Andy Murray

So Andy Murray has just said on BBC1 how impressed he was with Mo' Farah's last 53 sec lap as he does his 400 reps in 57 secs. Oh Really Andy?

Comments

• No he said his best is at 57.

• He has a great level of fitness so why doubt him?  I'd rather congratulate him on a masterclass in tennis this afternoon. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

come on Cop Out....slight difference between doing reps in 57, and doing ONE 400m in 57

it's clearly the latter.

• Not the impression I got.

'Intervals at 57 secs' was his phrase which initially raised my eyebrows but then I thought but hold on this is a full time sportsman for whom fitness is paramount, so why not.

Impressive but certainly doable.

• No... he said 'I do 400 repetitions, when I'm fresh I can do 57secs'. This says to me that he does his first at 57sec pace and then slows down as he tires. Anyway, amazing tennis - I don't think he was trying to show off, I think he was trying to say 'look what an amazing athlete Mo Farah is'!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I thought he said he did 400 reps, but then said he could run 400 in 57.  I bet he could cream me over 400 but that sounds bloody fast for reps.

• It would take me about 5 mins to run 400m!

• Regardless of what session he was describing, I think he meant it in awe, as he followed on with (and I'm paraphrasing here) "farah ran his last 400 m, having run 9600 m already, in 53" He was saying that he'd found performances like that inspiring, and that the way the team has performed so far these games was a factor in him getting a win today. 

People ought to stop looking to rip him to shreds every time he opens his mouth. The number of times people here come back with "that wasn't what I meant" you should all know how difficult it is to be exact in phrasing on the spur of the moment. 

• Pretty sure he meant 57 was his best when fresh for a stand alone single rep. He's still a miserable bugger though
  • "Yes I would like to buy a tv"

" Any particular type"

"Any as long as it doesnt have any sound"

" No sound sir. Why so?"

"Oh i never actually listen to anything anyone actually says I just make it up"

"I understand. Sir  will be wanting  our "Idiot Set top Box model then"

• er what? this chat is chronic.

he clearly said, I am in awe of Mo farah because he ran his last 400m in 53 secs AFTER already running 9600m. he said when fresh, ie his first 400m he can do at best in 57 secs, a full 4 secs slower than Mo. even though Mo has ALREADY ran 9600m. ie Mo is a legend and the fitness involved is mind blowing.

Andy Murray wins gold and takes time to mention how in awe he is of someone like Mo farah and you are still having a go at him because you either cannot understand plain english or simply want to have a pop at him. pathetic!

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Apparently Mo thinks Andy's cross court backhand is shit.
  • I have never liked Andy M, until Wimbledon 2012 I didn't think he had 'anything' about him, his emotional outburst there was a little silly but at least he showed some emotion.

During the 'lympics my thoughts about him have totally changed, he was happy, smiling,  playing 2 competitive matches a day and, in his interview he wasn't saying he reps 57s/400m he was most definately singing Mo's praisies. Looking at his GF he is punching above his weight though.

• Well done to Andy Murray. I actually thought he menat his best 400m rep was 57 secs.  Whether he meant it as such I don't know.

But he was congratulating Mo Farah on his great 10,000m win

Two British Olympic Gold medalsits. I'm proud of both of them.

• I think Andy was a superb British winner in the tennis. Makes up for the dissapointment of Scottish loser Murray in the Wimbledon final who also let down Birds of a Feather star Linda Robson in the doubles final.

(thought I'd join in the tabloid style reporting of the truth in this thread)
  • Don't understand why people want to knock him all the time, watch it again cop out and listen properly to the whole interview.

He doesn't support Portugal, this was a joke that has been blown out of all proportion, because he didn't follow it up by hitting a symbol and saying something like "i'm here all week" some people don't realise its a joke.

Well done to him, hope this helps him win more tournaments

• I think people want to knock him as his personality in the past has been so dull.

But at the end of the day he is there to play a sport not for his personality.

Having said that, I've never particulary warmed to him either.

• He clearly said that at his best he can do his first 400m rep in 57 seconds. If you think he said anything different then have a look on YouTube or iPlayer for the interview and watch it again.

Really sick of all the garbage about him in the media today, he wins gold and silver medals in two events that are not even 2 hours apart, and all anyone seems to care about is how much of the national anthem he sang. Should he be adding in verses of God Save The Queen between his 400m reps? Pathetic.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think for me, one of the joys of winning a gold medal at the Olympics would be the opportunity to be all subversive and sing the wrong words under my breath.  God save our gracious queen, give her a jelly bean... was one of my brother's favourites when we were nippers.  Teehee!

Hats off to Murray.  Two finals in one day, the lad done good.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Andi McGill 2 wrote (see)

.... Looking at his GF he is punching above his weight though.

"....and what is it about dull, unattractive, multi-millionaire Andy Murray that you find attractive?"

• Somebody tweeted during the match that Federer was playing like he'd bet money on Murray winning.

You look at Murray's mummy and you just know that if you met her you would hate her guts.

Thanks for the medals and for bumping up Team GB's total Andy but I'm not ready to love you just yet.
  • Haha, I can only imagine the headlines "MEDALLIST JELLY BEAN SLUR ON QUEEN"

Would be hilarious though image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Yeah, you know someone who lip-reads would grass them up!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Slightly convoluted praise of Mo - but I think we know what his sentiment was regardless of whether you like him or not.  Wouldn't have thought 79s is out of the question with fresh legs for a rep or two.

Get you Murray interval workout here image:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/cardio-exercise/andy-murrays-track-session

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

79s Also ran? I think most people on here could comfortable do 79s for a rep or 2

the debate was 57s....and it was clear he meant that was his flat out one.

• "I do 400m reps in training and when I'm completely fresh I can do it in 57secs."
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    57, 62, 99, whatever! In a slightly clumsy way he tried to say what an inspiring saturday he witnessed. I'm not that keen on the guy, but I got the jist of what he was trying to say and left it as that. I can't even type 57 in the comfort of an armchair without it appearing as 79. He's an awkward guy, who says things in an awkward way. I can relate to that.

Anyway off to do the Murray 10 x400 85s, preceeded by one at 57.
  • How can you guys judge someone you've only ever seen on TV? He had 2mins to talk to someone and come up with something intelligent after winning the most prestigious medal of his career.

I'm sure he knows how fast he can run 400 and he's not about to lie in front of 2M+ TV viewers. Most of us can relate to Mo's unbelievable 10k times and I'd hazard a guess at least 25% of us know how fast we run 10k on the road.