Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• This is interesting about barefoot running...:

http://zenhabits.net/barefoot-running/

I think I'll continue with my 10 minute sessions and give my feet time to adjust...  of course, if I feel any twinges I'll stop..

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RS - are you announcing an intention to spectate?

TD - No, Midichlorians are from an equally valid 'religion' - The Force

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

* If Ms. ATM ever wanders onto this thread, I'm dead. I think that's unlikely, though...image *

RS, I confess to having watched ' Glee' and the gym teacher's wedding dress should be your guide..

DV, Finn and I met an ' Italian-version-of-Vibrams' runner on the Start in Venice and he was still smiling at the Finish.And there before us...*I know it's not the same, of course, but after the horror of stability issues/orthotics/blisters that wouldn't heal/repeated reblistering etc, I decided that the feet I've got are the ones I'm going to run on, bought neutral shoes and have had no problems since. I bet, your body will follow your head. Wait...Maybe that's not the way to go..image

• Makes sense to me DV - foot strengthening to get away from the artifical aids of orthotics. We al know the body adapts fabulously, as long as we give it enough time to do so. And you must be the master at making long term plans. I don't need orthotics, so for me personally, I see little advantage in going bare...as it were.

In my first mara in Germany, I had to follow this big dude in a g-string for a while. That was an unpleasant sort of bareness, but it didn't put me off maras. I've done 11 of them now but have yet to see a lady doing the same thing. Still, back to Berlin next month. Maybe I'll see it on my 12th.

Running Rodent - can I say how much I am enjoying your's and Radar Sal's "on the scene" Olympic reportage - the fan's eye view. Really adding to my enjoyment of the events. Thanks ladies.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Monday morning intervals for me.  Oof.  

TD I have to say I share your opinions of the sprinter ego....I was having a bit of a grumble to Mr Maj about it last night.  I know they are billed as the Alpha Males of the running world, but oh boy, the posturing that goes with it!  You're the fastest guys on the planet, that's actually impressive enough for me....

• Hi everyone, I am so touched by your wishes and concern.

I hope I'm still able to play in this sandpit, even though it's highly unlikely that I'll be in Paris for 2013. Not unless some miracle happens on the career front...Sorry, pretty glum today. Troubles at work.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Maus, this thread is like Hotel California....

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

......you can check out any time you like but you can never leave image

• TD - good to hear that i'm not being toooo madly smug...but for this afternoon's entertainment imageimageimage The olympic park for some park live action (if we can find a seat) and THEN athletics in the evening!  I get to go to the stadium WOOO HOOOO! mens 400m hurdles, mens 400m and women's 3000m steeplechase THEN there's NZ's big medal chance in the women's shotput!  YAY!  So nervous watching the prelims of the shotput. image

No running or cycling for me today.  Ahhh...rest day is good.  The stumpies are very tired.

MM - once you get this sandpit sand between your toes it's hard to shake offimage

Orbutt - if amsterdam goes well, then will aim for London for my 5th.  Doing both paris and london would be too much for me...so I'm probably going mad supporter styles for Paris...although entering as a precaution could be an idea...

• TD - you'll notice that RS actually has tickets, whereas I'm doing all the free stuff image .

Fascinating graphics from the NY Times about how sprinting speeds have increased over the years http://t.co/ijRk9reG
  • So So jealous RS. I'm actually green.

DV I really enjoy my 10 minute barefoot runs. I don't do them that often as it's somewhat difficult to find an expanse of grass that I trust not to have broken glass hidden in it in the city but I do like them. I reiterate what the others have said though - be careful. You may not feel the stress at the time but the stress on your calves can build up over a week or two.

You might remember but I had all kind of issues and was running in orthotics but didn't feel they did anything for me at all. I went chi(!), binned the orthotics and am now in much flatter shoes (4mm). They still have a bit of cushioning too but the next step will be down to 2mm with a thinner sole. Step at a time! Anyway, apart from a freak ankle sprain I haven't looked back so I wish you well.

• Got myself a lovely 2km swim at lunchtime in the open air pool. Had it all. Brilliant sunshine, heavy downpours. Feel like my technique is improving so I am not dropping a lung at the end of every length. Have that lovely buzzy feeling across my chest.

And now for some mental exercise to complement the physical stuff. My mind will be tortured by my French teacher so in 90 mins time I will feel like an inadequate dummy again.

• TD..   you are just one credit card payment away from an Iron Man entry....     go on...  you know you want to...   it'll be a welcome change to the constant running and give you something else to think about....

HS..   thanks for the feedback.    I spoke to another runner this morning who also ditched the orthotics in this way.   I think its a step in the right direction...  slowly and gently, but generally the right thing to do...

• "Get thee behind me Vader"

OK, bad mixture, but until I have an idea what sort of training effort my body can cash in, I'm not setting any goals. The swimming felt really good, much easier than before, a sort of sustainable stroke. Doubtless there are massive efficiency (and therefore speed) increases still to be made. I'm just not practised enough.

Anyone else cheering on the Belgian twins in the 400m Men's Final tonight? Poor Belgium only has one silver and a bronze. Unfortunately for them, cake-making and beer-brewing are not classified as sports.

Oh yes RR - the New York Marathon that was highly recommended to you. My personal opinion (which I never seem to be shy in sharing hey), is that it should be the renamed "The Marathon Hanging about before and after a run past the 7 Dunkin Donuts of Brooklyn Marathon"

If you want a lifetime experience, you can do much much better than this. I went there and bumped into DV. He looks less impressed than I was.... image

/members/images/345267/gallery/DV_and_TD_in_NY.jpg

• That's my enigmatic smile...   image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

TD - I'm willing to support our Belgium friends in pushing cake baking as a sporting event. Particularly if I get a slot on the judging panel. Just be aware than any submissions containing marzipan will suffer automatic disqualification.

RS - Very jealous. You seem to be having a great time at all these Olympic events.

RR - I originally thought of New York for this year, but the cost of it put me off. I ended up signing up for Chicago instead. Plus Chicago works on a good old fashioned first come first served, rather than a ballot. That and for less than one four day running package for the NYC marathon I got four days in Chicago and then five down in New York to stuff my face with pastrami sandwiches washed down with cel-ray and plenty of Juniors cheesecake. Who said I think with my stomach? image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Mmmmmm marzipan.....

• OK then, I'll go and visit Mary in Chicago instead image .

Cheeky 14 miler for me this evening, taking in the sights and turning round on Tower Bridge. I have become so infused with bonhomie that I keep offering to take photos of people 'so they can all be in the picture'. I'm not sure they all want to be in the picture. In fact I think some of them may now have pictures of themselves with complete strangers. I fear it is only a matter of time before I am known as the madwoman of Tower Bridge.

Run was interesting. It was, by a fair way, the longest run I've done since Croydon in early July. I was suffering quite a lot from general lack of energy from about 45 mins in, but then after about an hour and a half it all clicked into place. Just as well really, I need to get back on board the 'Dam plan.

And a thought - steeplechase - why? Why would you choose to run 3,000 meters with wet feet?
  • Cross post with Eggy. Great minds - apart from the marzipan thing. In fact, I think I have some in the cupboard...
  • TD: Alcohol my friend. Alcohol is the social lubricant of fluent second language acquisition. My parents-in-law ALWAYS comment on the fluency of my German when I am absolutely, totally, thoroughly blotto. Sadly this can't happen very often given drug intake...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

My only serious effort at barefoot running was on a beach in Florida a few years ago. It was only when I had finished that I realised in the heat I'd seriously burn't my feet. They blistered up and I suffered for a week.

Not sure about the marathon Tricky but NY is running city- just training in Central Park is fantastic.

Did somebody mention cakes image

• I can't afford the NYC marathon either - I'd love to do it though, (despite TD's warnings...)

Eggy - looking forward to hearing about Chicago - when is it, when'd you get the place?

I don't think I'll be able to stretch to many more far-flung marathons for a year or two though - it may be the Sunderland Marathon next year, if I don't get London place!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Iain - The Chicago marathon is on October 7th. I got the place in February. Entered as soon as the ballot opened. It sold out in about a week this year.

I know what you mean about the costs, between that and Paris I've been pretty skint all year saving up to pay for it all.

• Morning all,

I had been planning on the New York marathon but cost and the time of year is a major set back( can't really take the kids out of school for any length of time in November??) so we are now going to New York in April 2014 and my BF is planning on taking me to Chicago for the marathon in October 2014. He is already saving!!! I think I am going to be skint for the forseeable future!!!! What really stunned me was the girls saying ' we don't mind not having treats mum, were going to be having amazing holidays!!!' image

We, apparently, had 24.6mm of rain in 6hours yesterday. It was unreal. I have postponed my morning run in the hope that things will be drier laterimage And to be honest its a tempo run and there is no way my legs will do tempo this morning - they ache just going up the stairsimage

• Last night wasn't great on the track or field (but I still really enjoyed being there image).  Val (NZ's big hope for anothe gold) couldn't match Belarus in the shotput and got silver, Bleasdale dropped out very early in the pole vault (it's amazing how much they all miss BUT her boyfriend proposed afterwards which is super sweet) and Dai got 4th by a TINY margin.  Got to see Bolt get his 100m medal though image  The steeplechase was quite bizare though.  Masses of neon shoes, again!  Managed to find a spot in Park Live to watch the gold win in the show jumping (mental how high though jumps are) and first few sprint rounds.  My time at the olympic park is done. image Tonight it's the HUGE BIG MASSIVE boys weight lifting!  Will be VERY different.  They will be lifting so much the bar will bend image

Should go for a run today...might go watch the triathlon insteadimage

• oh yeah...and the start for the NY marathon is supposed to be very unpleasant if you're on the bottom of the bridge.  I'd still like to do it though...

• I would still love to do it too RS, but think I might need to wait a while for the 'Get out of jail free card'!!!image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I have to say that the NY marathon doesn't appeal.  Visiting the city does, however, so I could be an entourage?

Current plan is to do Paris and Berlin next year and possibly Copenhagen and Amsterdam the following year...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I must admit I'd still like to run New York at some point. It's one of my favourite places to visit and one of the races I've watched umpteen times thinking I'd love to do that. The marathon is just so bloody expensive though.

• Paris and Berlin for me next yr tooooo!!!! As for the following year, probably no spring marathon but a trip to NY instead and  then hopefully Chicago in the Autumn. Depending on funds I would like to do the Tromso Marathon.image