Just ran my first 10km at pace, what do you think? HONESTLY LOL

So just ran my first real 10km distance with a quite quick pace, I've decided I want to get up to competition standard no matter how hard or long it takes. So anyway I ran 10.14km in a duration of 49.26 minutes, Pace at an average of 4.52min/km with a max of 2.42min/km. Also my speed was an average of 12.31km/h with a max of 22.13km/h.

I believe I could improve on this time as I did a 300m sprint finish and still felt like I had alot more in the tank. Also was at work all day doing physical labour with a poor nutritionally balanced diet recently. 

Would love some experienced runners thoughts on this and any runner who want to share comments.

Comments

• Thats a good first attempt Ronnie have you done much running before or is this just a first outing all together?

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    A real good run, Ron, a real good run.
  • How long is a piece of string Ronnie? Immcertainly not trying to be dismissive but if you consider a sub 3 hour marathon, that is 4x longer distance plus some, would mean running around 2kmh faster than your 10k pace.

About 5% of race entrants would typically go under 3 hours. My guess would be that in a normal club race over a flat 10k, probably 90% of runners would get under 50mins. To get a more objective benchmark, I suggest you consult the WAVA performance tables.

But more than that, take encouragement from the fact it felt good and you have determination to mprove how would you feel if you were 10 or 15 minutes faster? Good luck.
  • I did the marathon 2012 off no specific training in a time of 4:27 but have played football for many years at mixed levels, im only 20 so hoping to get good at this running lark image think the 10k could be something id do well(ish) in. Want to eventually join a club but first want to personally shave some time off that.

• Thanks for the honesty tricky dicky i appreciate it! And i believe i could go 10 minutes faster with some training and focus. I will now look at them tables and structure a plan to achieve more specific times. Thanks

• Thats a good time Ronnie, im of similar circumstances to you, played football all my life and started to get interested into running, been doing it for 2 months now. Back then, my first 10k time was 51:07(yes I write all my times down image), couple months later im running sub 19min 5k and sub 40min 10k.

With some decent training and a balanced diet that time will drop for sure. Keep at it and good luck! 

• just keep going Ronnie your time will soon come down the more you run

• Thanks to both of you and im sure you two will also continue to improve! Also mike I love that you write all your times down, if you have a smart phone i highly recommend mapmyrun, used it today for first time and was brilliant.

• I looked at your profile and you say you have been running less than a year but run 31-50 mile a week and run every day.

1. dont run every day. You reap what you sow when you rest

2. if you milage is consistantly atleast 31 miles a week, including a stamina/speed session you should be sub 40 minutes for a 10k. It took me 3 plus years coming with no sporting background, school excluded, to confortably be able to run 31-40 miles a week including stamina/speed work. When I could I ran my first 10k ever under 40. I was 43 years old.

3 your doing too much confusing quantity with quality.

Was this 10k a race or did you run 10k to see how fast you could go?

There is an immense difference.

I suggest Daniels formulas, and the competitive runners hand book.

Read them as random training produces random results

Good luck

• Its a good idea to write all your runs down Ronnie makes good reading to look back through plus theres no better motivation than seeing in black and white your improvement. I got my 1st 10k of 46.59 down to 42.04 in a few months too, hopefully i'll get that down somewhere near Mike's sub40 soon image

• Ronnie Mewes wrote (see)

Thanks to both of you and im sure you two will also continue to improve! Also mike I love that you write all your times down, if you have a smart phone i highly recommend mapmyrun, used it today for first time and was brilliant.

I use http://gb.mapometer.com/ to measure the distances of my runs, it lets me note how many miles I log weekly and it shows alititude differences, a really good tool.

Your next target should be sub 45 minutes, you'll see big improvements in your time as you start off (7-8 minutes improvement in a months training) but then your improvement will gradually get less and less. Start off with some good aerobic base training i.e 20 mpw and increase it to 30-35 mpw, this will give you your 7-8 minute improvement, then you will have to start speedwork to continue to improve your time; intervals.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Um - and don't be disheartened if, contrary to Mike's suggestion, you don't see 7-8 minutes of improvement over a month.

• Haha good point Dachs! I'm sure you will see enough improvement to keep you encouraged Ronnie! Enjoy buddy!!!!!
  • Dachs wrote (see)

Um - and don't be disheartened if, contrary to Mike's suggestion, you don't see 7-8 minutes of improvement over a month.

Dachs wrote (see)

I started at 58 mins and it took me over 6 months to get down to 48 minutes. Then again, I'm 30 with the body of a 50 year old image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Ronnie Mewes wrote (see)

.... Want to eventually join a club but first want to personally shave some time off that.

Why wait?  So that you can impress?  Join now and start getting the benefits of training with other (faster) runners.

• Well done ronnie thats a great start. im 48 and took up running 2 years ago, as i was a 16 stone couch potato, i have noe done the  London marathon twice, the Dublin marathon last year, Also i have done 3 half marathons, And in november im off to Spain to run in the Valencia marathon, As they say  your never to old to learn, (by the way im down to 12st 4 pounds vimage

• Thanks everybody for your great comments. I do have a sporting background of such as I've played football for 12 years at mixed levels and I'm a third year sports science student. After running the 10km at a pace I tried to speed up I realised running that everyday would kill me so I've narrowed my training down. And to be honest yeah I do want to impress and think I can. I have great lung capacity and peak flow readings showing potential but probably football had trained muscles to be more fast twitch due to me beig a forward. I believe I just need to focus and run on a consistent basis. Also I ran the 2012 London marathon in 04:27 with probably 3 training runs and playing football so I want to get more serious about my running!