Run Britain & Power of 10

This may be a dumb question/s but I've tried and cant see the answer !!

My son has a profile on Run Britain and also Power of 10 but the two dont seem to be linked and I've noticed that lots are and just wondered how you do this ?

I have a profile on Run Britain but I dont appear on Power of 10 although my son does.  We have just as a family joined an athletics club recently so I'm guessing that he is showing on Power of 10 as he has competed for the club already and I haven't, as he's the only one out of the 4 of us on there ?

My Run Britain only contains my parkruns, if I do something else then 'how will it know it was me' ?

I'm not normaly this thick but I give in on this one image 

Comments

• They are linked, runbritain is a sister site of the power of 10 which now focuses on road running whereas power of 10 is track and field. Both sites are updated automatically without you having to do anything. It was my wife who told me I had a profile!

Power of 10 is what it says the top 10 in that category and then the top 100. To have a ranking your performance must put you in the top 100 approx in the country. I run marathons and I am ranked in the top 10 on power of 10 and then with a full profile on run britain. However, the link isn't very good for logging in. I have found I have to log in to powerof10 first before I can use the same login for runbritain.

I would guess you have a profile on runbritain because park runs come under road running. Presumably your son does track and field. Hope this helps.

• Thats great, thanks.  So if I do, say a 10k, will this automatically go on to runbitain and if so how ?  I wasn't a member of a running club when I set my profile up so wasn't affiliated.  To get the parkrun results they needed the parkrun barcode number. image

• It will go on there automatically only if the race has a UKA Licence. The runbritain website has a full list of eligible races if I remember correctly. I came unstuck with this one. I don't really like short races but I did my running clubs local 10k. Got a pretty good time that would have massively improved my handicap only to find that they did not have a UKA licence so it wouldn't count. I have found the people at powerof10/runbritain very helpful with a very good response to emails.

• Pretty much as above - powerof10 picks up your results automatically after your first top 10 finish.

runBritain doesn't necessarily but you will see a tab at the top which says "add performances" to add anything that has its UKA licence as mentioned by OG.  After a while it seems to pick you up automatically - I guess once your name has appeared in their index so it can link you (not sure how this works if there's someone out there with the same name!) but it's worth checking the week after a race to see if it's been added. 

If you're not sure if a race has a UKA licence - click on the results tab at the top and you will see a list of races with their results status.  If it's red - that seems to mean that they have the results and they are processing them.

Enjoy image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

both are a nonsense for various reasons...

power of 10 for not including non UKA races and Run Britain for having a ludicrous "handicap" scheme that noone understands.

A typical situation would be giving you a handicap of say 3 after one race, and giving you alist of times you need to get down to a 2.9....all of which are miles slower than your pb.

bizarre.

Power of 10 used to give you certain qualifying times to get a UK ranking, all of which were bizarrely out of sync.

For exampe 1:20 for a half marathon, 3hours for a marathon, yet 16:45 for 5k. The first 2 times are about a million times easier to hit than the last one.

Now they've gone too far the other way...reduced the qualifying times to make it a billion times easier to get into the rankings...20mins for 5k now! 1:30 for half marathon...etc

grrr image

• Still loving running bureaucracy then SG image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

exactly Sleepy...i did 3 10ks that hit the old qualifying standard, but they didn't get on the record because they weren't UKA...and now they've loosened the "standard" so low I could have a lie down and cup of coffee and still make it in

got to love it image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    I thought that both Power of 10 and Run Britain only included UKA licensed events. I think it makes sense that there is some inclusion criteria but I'd have thought it would make sense to also include events that have an ARC license, particularly now that a lot of events won't bother with the UKA license due to escalating costs.

Does the Run Britain site do anything other than provide a ludicrous handicap scheme that no one understands?
  • Stevie G . wrote (see)

both are a nonsense for various reasons...

power of 10 for not including non UKA races and Run Britain for having a ludicrous "handicap" scheme that noone understands.

A typical situation would be giving you a handicap of say 3 after one race, and giving you alist of times you need to get down to a 2.9....all of which are miles slower than your pb.

bizarre.

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but stumbled across this after a forum search having just been trying to get my head round the Run Britain Handicap and Rankings.  

Would the argument not be in respect of the above that the rankings are rewarding consistency as well as one outstanding performance? If I've got it right, it's your 5 'best' performances that count towards both your handicap and thus the rankings?  

They do appear to be trying to draw a parallel with, for example, the golf and tennis rankings where it is consistent results that will bear most fruit in terms of ranking elevation.  

Take Boris Becker winning Wimbledon as a virtually unkown 17 year old back in 1985 - this wouldn't have catapulted him straight into, say, the World Top 5. Back it up though, as I think he did, with several QF and SF slam performances, as well as retaining his Wimbledon title, over the next 12 months, and his ranking would have been right up there.  

Take also Todd Who, I mean Hamilton, when he won the Open Golf Championship in 2004, his ranking would have received a huge boost from that victory, but as he didn't back it up, then he didn't trouble the Top 10 in the world, and never has in fact.  

Having said that, I still can't really fathom them, as for one thing, I can't determine who comprises the 250,000 odd folk who now have a ranking. Is it just those who apply for their handicap, or is it anyone who takes part in a UKA licensed event? Can't be the latter as parkrun counts as that, and I think there's already well over 400,000 registered parkrunners. Is it really the former though - would they have to go round the elite runners in the country hounding them into signing up, or do they automatically enrol those of a certain standard? How do folk get struck from the list - is it inactivity over a certain period of time, and at the risk of getting all morbid how do they know when someone dies, and when do the dead lose their ranking?!  

So...in conclusion - you probably have a point after all!  image

• BBB - You raise some interesting questions, most of which I cannot answer.  My vague fluffy take on it is that whilst the ethereal algorithms being used on the runbritain rankings may throw up the odd inconsistencies in the detail, it is basically designed to reward consistent, regular participation for the masses, so it makes sense that you don't need to be hitting PBs every time in order to nudge up your score.

The biggest question I want answered is - how can I tell runbritain that I will never EVER be interested in winning a set of Sennheiser headphones?  image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    One Gear wrote (see)

They are linked, runbritain is a sister site of the power of 10 which now focuses on road running whereas power of 10 is track and field. Both sites are updated automatically without you having to do anything. It was my wife who told me I had a profile!

Power of 10 is what it says the top 10 in that category and then the top 100. To have a ranking your performance must put you in the top 100 approx in the country. I run marathons and I am ranked in the top 10 on power of 10 and then with a full profile on run britain. However, the link isn't very good for logging in. I have found I have to log in to powerof10 first before I can use the same login for runbritain.

I would guess you have a profile on runbritain because park runs come under road running. Presumably your son does track and field. Hope this helps.

just re-read this...it's not just the top 100 that get a ranking! otherwise most of us on here wouldn't get close!

And if you have a top 10 in the country marathon you must be smoking hot...in the 2:20s territory and borderline professional!

or you did a January marathon image

• Heh! Yes, quite. Don't quite get the running with headphones business personally, but each to their own I suppose...though they usually seem to be the stern types who won't even give you a nod when your paths cross. image

Funny you should reply actually, Phil, as I wanted a half decent to stalkee to try to get my head round how it worked at the top end - thus I picked up your result from Brighton, and you can now consider yourself stalked. image

Any road, I think you're probably right. Down amongst the masses they seem to be a pretty harmless and informative way of motivating the likes of me to chase better times to bring the handicap down (whatever that counts for) and improve our ranking. Probably at the top end they've made sure there's a bit of sense there too, though I can imagine that in the 'very good' class of amateur runner there are enough inconsistencies that don't get smoothed out and lead to some disgruntlement, particularly between rivals.

You're doing alright by the way aren't you? Just the 6500 odd spots for me to make up on you in the V40 category!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I think both these sites should be taken with a large pinch of salt.
    Not all races are listed, and you can also add your own race times if you can provide proof (I did that for a handful of mine, and they are still 'pending' over 6-9 months later)

Same with the rankings, it will only list those races that are featured. I noticed that with our club's junior athletes: coach produced a list of rankings, but some better performances not listed as they don't feed the power of 10.

• BBB - you get a ranking on runbritain automatically. You don't have to do anything (other than run!!!). In fact in my case it was someone else who told me that I had a ranking, I had never even heard of the website until that time. 

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Dustin -- How do you add your own race times and provide poof? My 10K PB isn't included as the race isn't in their list.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if it's ARC you can't add it. You can only add it into the free text box.

Vast majority of races are UKA though, so the rankings are about as good and accurate as you're likely to get.

Dustin, if you're bothered about the pending status, mail the organisers of the site, and get them to add it properly.

• One Gear wrote (see)

BBB - you get a ranking on runbritain automatically. You don't have to do anything (other than run!!!). In fact in my case it was someone else who told me that I had a ranking, I had never even heard of the website until that time. 

Hmmm...ok - thanks, OG. 

Answers a proportion of my curiosity.

So effectively that means that from Run Britain's point of view, there are approximately 250,000 active runners from activity in either UKA affiliated road races or parkruns? Seems a very small proportion of the overall population. Well under a half of one percent. 

Is there a specific rolling period during which one of those 'captured' has to remain active to retain their ranking does anyone know?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bobby, you have to be a certain pace to even get into the rankings.

Until about a 9months ago it was (for a male)

16.45 5k, 28:00 5m, 36:00 10k, 58:00 10m, 1:20 HM, 3:00 Marathon.
    ie some reasonably challenging targets in the scheme of things.

Then for some reason they massively opened the levels up, and now you can get in there with a 40min 10k and 1:30 half!

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Any idea why ARC licenced event aren't included?
  • Thanks, Stevie. I think we're talking about different things here though. That's the Power of 10 rankings you're talking about there I imagine, I'm a long way from even those more modest targets - which still look pretty tough to me by the way, though I'd like to get there one day.

I'm thinking of the Run Britain rankings for the rest of us rather more modest plodders...pretty sure there's not 250,000 runners in the country of a 40 minute 10K and/or 1:30 HM standard! 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Maybe they rely on UKA for runner information, and UKA will take their ball and go home if ARC are allowed to play?

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Wilkie -- Who knows eh? But I'm not registered with UKA or anything so the only information they could get about me would be via my event entry, which is pretty much the same information that ARC could get when I sign up to one of their licenced events. As I've previously stated, I can understand there being some inclusion criteria but I wouldn't have thought that ARC are that obscure.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I think there must be some connection to UKA.

I only recently became aware of Power of 10 and Run Britain.  When I looked my partner up on Po10, they have his down as a coach.  The only coaching qualification he has (not that you can really call it that) was something he did with England Athletics, a course to lead running groups.

The only place Po10 could have got that information is from England Athletics.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Wilkie - did your partner do the LiRF course? You get an EA licence and you get auto updated onto the Po10 website via EA/UKA. I know thats how mine got on there.
    EA have sent out a load of blurb about acting with Po10 to justify the sharp rise in affiliation for this year (doubled from £5 to £10 - they initially put it up to £20), and have been promoting their own 'athletes portal'...
    I think they will also try to include only EA affiliated members on the Po10, but not sure how succesful that will prove to be.
    Stevie G - not too bothered to be honest, I thought I'd go through some old results and see if I could add them. Ultimately a lot of my last years races aren't included, so I'd be forever e-mailing them. Not really worth it (at my level). I might think differently if I troubled the top 100.
    Taxi - If you log in, there is a "submit performance" option. From memory you have to add a link that includes your time/distance etc.

• I am not sure about the vast majority of races being on RB. Plenty near me aren't on. Maidenhead half, Shinfield 10k, various 10ks in Richmond, some of the Datchet 5 and 10ks round the resevoir etc. if anything it seems only the high profile runs are on.
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Surrey, Maidenhead for example was UKA licenced in 2011 and would appear. In 2012 the organisers went for a ARC licence instead (cost maybe??) so did not appear on Po10 / RunBritain, nor  did my pb!!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Maidenhead is an odd one. The race results are listed for prior years (2008 for example) but not all runners listed. Found my time via athlinks.com
    I guess Po10 include you if you were registered at the time? I note there are some unattached runners listed there though.
    I have never looked at RB

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Dustin -- Thanks for the info... I had a stab at the "Submit Performance" option but for all the events I tried to submit I got a message telling me that they weren't UKA licenced, which I guess is why they weren't included anyway. Not to worry, it's just a bit of fun... Although I'd probably be more bothered if I was troubling the top 100 image
  • Dustin,

Maidenhead half only started in 2011, think you are getting confused with Maidenhead 10.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dustin, what kind of paces are you by the way?

I note people keep mentioning top 100, including yourself, top 100 is phenomenal standard!

Top 1000-2000 will be auto included if they are run at UKA events.
    Top 100 will be pretty well known runners!

Taxi Driver wrote (see)
    Any idea why ARC licenced event aren't included?

Surrey Runner wrote (see)
    I am not sure about the vast majority of races being on RB. Plenty near me aren't on. Maidenhead half, Shinfield 10k, various 10ks in Richmond, some of the Datchet 5 and 10ks round the resevoir etc. if anything it seems only the high profile runs are on.

In our sort of area, we seem more prone to ARC. Up north they tell me most events are on there....
    Shinfield 10 I'm sure was on there in 09 or so when I did it. I remember it, as I beat it about 4 times in a row, but at ARC events, meaning my Shinfield 10k stayed as my "Pb" for ages. Annoyingly.