Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 Trail Marathon

Comments

• UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    Impressed with the organisation on this one - entered yesterday and got my race pack this morning!

Route is very similar to the last time I did this just with an extra loop to make it up to 50k...and the yew forest is on the route still image
  • This is one of the best organised events I've ever done - from the comprehensive information sent out beforehand, including maps, to the way runners and walkers are looked after on the day, including the option of having a post-event massage.

I've run it a few times and, apart from the unavoidable road sections that I don't like, the only downside is the magnificant cathedral spire that never seems to get any closer over the last few miles!

See you all there - I will be wearing my 100 marathon vest for the first time.

• Was going to be my first Ultra but with so many injuries I knocked it down to the 30k. I just couldn't live with myself if I chose to do the Marathon and had something left in the tank to have completed the 50k. SO 30k it isimage Still a bit hit and miss but it will be my furthest event to date image and it seems to get many good reviews so well looking forward to it

• Good luck with the 30k.

Could anyone tell me how long the road sections are? Still trying to decide whether to do this one due to the amount of road. If the road sections are spread out in short bursts over the 26 miles then it won't be too bad.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell from the maps the road parts seem to be in sections, maybe a mile or 2 at a time maybe slightly more. It won't be like 13 miles trail then 13 road. Hope this helps.
  • Competing the 21K in preparation for the Wightlink challenge next month. Anyone know if it is the same course as last year? Will aim for higher finish than 33rd although running with suspected shin splints! Cure??image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Cant help you I'm afraid as not sure what last years route was for the half. There is a map on the back of the info sheet they sent through. That should give a good idea.
  • UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    The mara route is the same as before but I don't know about the 20k one
  •  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

20k route looks the same as the one I ran a few years ago. Let me know if you want me to send you the map (pdf)

• Thanks Mick, Got it through the post today! It's going to be a tough one.

• I am doing the 30K traveling down from Worcestershire, looks a tough run, anyone done the 30K before? is it better to take your own water? as it suppose to be a hot day sunday. Anyway looking forward to seeing some of the sights of Salisbury. Best of luck to everyone image

• I've ran the marathon twice and the ultra once and what a great event. The points are very well stocked and the whole organisation is one of the best I've ever experienced. It's the ultra for me again but I will enter on the day. 9am start. Road shoes are the ones to use as the ground is hard. There is also a few big hills. The points are enough for supplies but I would bring gels too. Other than that if you are trying the ultra then bring a camel back as after the hills and sun the last few miles can be difficult. Thats if you don't mind the extra weight.

• Thanks for advice, def bringing gels, all the best in the ultra, WhichWayNow that will be me on sunday as i been told that a few people have got lost.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Is very hot in Salisbury today and forecast says pretty much the same for Sat and Sun. I would recommend having a good look at the map supplied just to get an idea of where the route splits up for the various distances. It's pretty well marked but you can get lost if you are just following the person in front as they may not be doing the same course as you.

Good luck to everyone on Sunday!
  • Yep thats whats scares me, maps a little small colour very similiar, and im coming from worestershire, so dont routes or area at all. Never mind it should be fun.

• Having ran the event three times there has been very good improvements on the signs. They are now very large and placed in more tricky points. Everyone should now be fine as long as they follow the correct marked sign at the splits but there are people pointing you the correct way. In the forest area just follow the string. The only tricky part I would say is the last few miles towards the cathedral area. Tourist dodging! Out the main gate, past the shopping area and cross the road over the river along the large car park to the finish! I would reccomend stopping at each stop for a real good refuel and a lot of fluid. All in all enjoy. I'd say that the field of runners is normally good until around the 22 mile mark. As I said previous I would also use the road shoes and take plenty of gels and isotonic mix drink. The weather can be harsh in the open fields and hills. Other than that enjoy the day.

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Hi, coming from Cardiff to run the 30k tomorrow as prep for Snowdonia in October.  From the forum have established that road shoes are the way forward tomorrow, however how much shade is on the course?  Is a lot in woodland?  Or does trail mean open fields with no tree/hedge cover?  Also, info states 12+ checkpoints, is this for the Ultra, anybody know how many checkpoints are on the 30km?  Really struggle in the sunshine and always need a lot of fluid at 1/2M + distance, thinking I may have to carry the pesky bladder pack unless the BBC forecast is correct and it may actually be raining at 10am (fingers crossed!!!)

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I did the 30k last year, so I'll try to remember as best I can.

Shade wise there are a few sections on the Clarendon section where there is cover under the trees and and some towards the end around the back of the racecourse. I'm doing the 50k and had to go out and buy a running hat yesterday.

As for water stations I think there were about 6 or 7 on the 30k course. I can't remember 100%. I aim to walk through each one and make sure I take on extra fluid at each one.

Hop this helps.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just remembered there is a couple of miles of tree cover about 11 miles in after you cross the A338 (this is for the 30k route)
  • LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Thanks Millsy1977 that helps!!!  Entered this a bit last minute so hadn't read all of the reviews till now, but do the organisers provide further info than that posted?  Race pack arrived a couple of days ago with no route instructions (seen reviews that refer to route instructions I haven't received this just a very small map with multiple routes drawn on!)  I am not too fussed about getting lost but would rather run over than under as this is my first LSR for Snowdonia.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I take it the small map you are referring to us the one on the reverse of the race information that came in the post. If I remember correctly you bring that with you to the registration desk on the day and they then give you your number and a better map with more instructions on it. Hopefully they will be doing the same this yr.
  • LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Great, thanks for the info Millsy1977, tried to follow the route on an enlarged googlemap earlier, and worked it out so reckon it will be fine tomorrow, and any added scenery is just a bonus!!!

• Anyone know what time it starts tomorrow - haven't entered yet & can't find timing info anywhere
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    They start at different times 50k starts at 9am and the others every 30mins after that. Which one are you doing?
  • Ran the ultra and started at 9am. Slight bit of rain but it kept off the heavy stuff. A pre loop for the ultra before joining the marathon runners. Did anyone spot the Lama and the one hump camel sat in the middle  about 3 miles into the ultra? He was there last year! Well stocked check points and friendly staff. Thank you to all the helpers. Very well organised and good signs, nice and clear for all events. Course was slightly hilly and a good mix of road and off road. I really enjoyed the forest part following the string. Cathedral area is also fun dodging tourists and seeing how many pictures that you can get in on. Great start and finish point at the fire station and good use of the leisure centre facilities make this one of my all time favourites.
    4hr 29 min finish for a 50k.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that camel has 2 humps. Was a brilliant race, really enjoyed every minute of it (well maybe not mile 28-30). Finished my first 50k in 4hrs 6min for 4 th overall. Am chuffed to bits.
  • This event sets the benchmark for organisation. The Chirunning enabled me to set a PB for the course and I would have broken 4.30 if I hadn't run out of energy in the last mile. Someone said they had measured the marathon course as nearly 27 miles - is this right?

• Definitely a 2 hump camel, a little bit surreal, if I'd have seen it at 30 miles in I would have thought I was hallucinating.

• i done the 50 k  as my secound ultra went of to quick & paid for it later , very well organized race & a great route, no need for map reading as course was very well marked with plenty of checkpoints .

the camel had to humpsimage