Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• RR - your feet sound like an olympic venue.

I'm jealous of people being able to show 4 things on one garmin screen..although I could set mine to scrolling over 2 screens so would see 6...  I have my training screen set to time, distance and lap pace.  My racing screen is HR or time, average pace and lap pace.  Dannirr, if you want to keep you pace constant but not have the instant (aka all over the place), set a small lap and have lap pace (as TD and NB say).  Your watch will go beeparama with each lap but think that can be turned off too.

Kaz - I don't use the manual laps for races.  It's great for interval or speed sessions but takes too much concentration in a race, the markers are often not in exactly the right place and yeah, you can miss them.  I can see why you'd want to do it though.  My garmin is definitely male and always says races are longer than they are measured as. image or maybe I run in a zig-zag...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

HS - Have a great weekend. The Aviemore midgies aren't too bad. It those flesh eating Sky ones you need to watch out for.

Kaz - I must admit I just tend to use the race clocks on course more often than not during marathons to keep track of my times. Amsterdam was great for that as they had a clock and timing mat every 5km. I just worked out what time I had to make the next 5km marker to make my target time.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

HS, did you do the ' Tron' light thingy in Edinburgh? If so, can we see photos? There are some great ones in the papers, today.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. I have always used average pace with auto lap at 1 mile. But with intervals where I need to vary the pace more intentionally, I thought Instant might be better as I would not have to be halfway through the interval before getting a reliable reading - but it seems better to stick with average and use a shorter auto lap.
  • TD and IM2: I think the Aussie swimmers were rightfully taken down a peg or 2. Naturally, they are all now claiming that Olympic sports are insufficiently funded. Thankfully the commentators now have to show us other sports. If the could only show us ones where the Australians were doing well, there'd be about 15 mins of footage to play over and over again!

And on the contrary TD. The minute I can sort out career stuff, I'm outta here.

Kaz: I'm with RS. My watch doesn't have a lap feature when in HRM mode. So for Paris, I got an extra watch just to use for a lap function at each kilometer . It was a disaster. It's a decent watch, but the lapping worked by touching the face of the watch. I thought this would make it easier than a normal push button, but it was either too sensitive (in which case it lapped at 5 secs) or wouldn't respond to my finger. Or I missed the marker.

It's the one failing of the watch and I'm not really a serious enough runner to justify spending the money to upgrade.

Ohhh HS. Fiat 500s are supercool!
  • And DLR: I have missed you so. Really, truly...
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannir - have you tried setting up Custom intervals on your Garmin?

Tricky has us doing Pyramids at interval pace, so I've set up the entire session in mine. So, for example, I've got it set to do 400, 600, 800, 1k, 1.2k, 1k, 800, 600, 400 with recovery in between.

If you stray out of the pace zone, the watch tells you off. I find it really useful but it can be a bit frustrating if you encounter a hill during an interval and the damn watch keeps telling you to speed up image

• Aah, those custom workouts are a joy huh Orbutt? It's easier to program them in Garmin Training Centre than on the watch, then you just upload the workout. There's also a plug-in on Sport Tracks that lets me do the same thing. However, I've gone off Custom Workouts now - prefer to judge stuff myself (longer/ shorter recoveries etc).

Eggy - I ran another 10K this lunchtime after your great effort a week and a bit ago. I managed to knock a whole 5 seconds off to clock a 43:59! I broke the 44min barrier! Mind you, it is 5-6C hotter today and it was quite an effort.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky - agreed. I use Garmin Connect to program them and then upload (learned the hard way). I also set mine to wait for a wait on the lap button before re-starting after recoveries - that way, I can take as long as I want image

• Dannirr...  I don't know if you an access your email...   I have just emailed you...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

TD - Great going on your 10km. Although to be honest I've struggled for pace on my runs all week. The half on Sunday took way more out me than I thought it would. I guess that's the price I pay for knocking 4 minutes off my PB.

I have a 21 mile LSR planned for tomorrow. I certainly won't be pushing it. Looks like it could be a hot one too, better set my alarm for kaz o'clock.

• I think the heat is affecting me too image went out at 11 today and had to cut run short by a mile.  Think I'm going to have to get up at kazy o'clock tooimage

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Kax O'Clock for me tomorrow too - got a 24k run to do and this morning it was baking by the time I got home at 9 am!  Aiming to be out before 6.30 I think image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

DV - yup, got the email - replied - and  more when I  get ome from work.

Orbutt: thanks - I have not used that function but I will give it a go. I'm not doing pyramids, but I think it will be great for my intervals. I tried the Virtual Racer but didn't really like that.

RS - having lots of fields to look at on one screen is nice....at your age. When your eyes begin to go, you can't see the small stuff image.  Might have to use my bifocal sunglasses.

• Kaz o'clock for me tomorrow and Sunday.     Tomorrow I'm helping to marshall and on the aid station at mile 43 of a 100 mile ultra (North Downs Way).   On Sunday morning I'm running the last 13 miles of the ultra as the sweeper...     I'm really looking forward to both days...  it'll be great to help out and give something back.   The ultra community are just a super bunch of people...   all completely bonkers...  image

• Dannirr wrote (see)
    RS - having lots of fields to look at on one screen is nice....at your age. When your eyes begin to go, you can't see the small stuff image.  Might have to use my bifocal sunglasses.

darn!  On my screens (405xtor something) I can choose to turn off fields and eventually it reverts to one field per view and then I could make it scroll...(something to plan for as since I've had eyes lazered think I'm liable to go long sighted sooner rather than later image )

I'm going to have kazy o'clock tomorrow to cycle out to eton dorney (sprint kayaking, GOOOOO NZ in women's k1 200m!!!).  Hopefully it'll mean that the roads are nice and quiet image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Lazer eyes sound awesome.

• O.M.G.....!!     This sauce is AMAZING!   image

http://thegarlicfarm.co.uk/Barbecue-Sauce-5301536B94.aspx

I was previously addicted to chilli mayo...   but now I'm addicted to this sauce....

+1 for RS's laser eyes...    sounds very useful in a war against super-heroes....

• Kaz o'clock image  I like that.

Maus - I know you cry yourself to sleep every night I dont postimage

Looks like it'll be 12 days without running for me then straight into a 22 mile test.  If its ok The 'Dam is very much still on, if not I suspect I'll be switching to the half.

• image DLR - it's not just MM, it's all of us...

Watching the women's 5k just now it was really noticeable how high the front runners were lifting their feet. Dibaba was almost literally kicking herself in the bum with every step, but all the Ethiopians in particular were doing it. I wonder if they are trained to run like that, or if that's their natural style?

DV - I think the place I'm going for coffee tomorrow morning stocks that stuff. And it would have the advantage of keeping vampires away image .
  • Just back from my 10k. Finished in 42 mins which i was a bit disappointed with. It was hot and very hilly. After the first 200m the route turned into a narrow track and there was a bit of a scrum to get there first. I got caught up in the excitement and my first 2 kms were in the 3.30 min range - far too fast, and i paid for it later on the long uphill when it felt like the entire field overtook me. Oh well, apparently what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Interesting GPS result today.  I ran on a high school track simply as a friend wanted to run with me and she needed to do some track work for her running program. As I only had a 4 miler scheduled, I thought that would be not too boring on a track.

Here is my GPS track - interesting that the first lap is shown so way off the track - not where I ran.  Wonder what caused this? A few meters is common, but this is way more than that.

/members/images/698298/Gallery/track.png

• Neil, I dream of the day when I'm disappointed with a 42min 10k!

Fantastic.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannir - I think that GPS is a little more innacurate than you think. It has a certain accuracy which I think  is around 25-50m. If you take that into account and consider that you are running in a gps circle of 50m diameter, then you could, theoretically, be anywhere within that circle - even on the edge.

So, if you look at your plot, when you first start off, it has found you 'somewhere' within that circle  and started from there. As you have continued it has refined it, so that you are on the track.

This is why most GPS watches show races to be either over or under the distance - it's not that it's measured incorrectly it's the tolerance of the GPS footprint.

I notice this when I'm using my instant pace display, if I turn a corner than the pace will drop considerably until the positioning realises that I'm not standing still.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Brief London to Brighton update:  The challenge is on! DV and I will "race" to Brighton on Nov 4th. - officially approved by the organisers. DV will be on Regent Street sometime on Saturday 3rd with me and the car (and 100 other Vetrean cars) too.

On either Thursday or Friday evening (1st or 2nd) I think it would be very cool to have dinner somewhere in London for any of the folk on this thread who are in or near central London and might be interested in a little thread get-together. DV is available. Anyone else interested?

• Dannirr. The first lap you didn't have a proper GPS lock on. Not difficult to be upwards of 50m out. Was there some tree cover? When initializing the GPS you can view a screen showing how many satellites are visible and the estimated accuracy as it locks down.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Orbutt:  GPS has a defined accuracy now of less than 10 feet (3m) ever since the US militiary turned off the intentional error about 10 years ago. I have some GPS units that plot accuracy and have confirmed that for myself.  In a race, the biggest reason why GPS watches are over-distance (I have never seen one under distance) is because we don't run the shortest route (the blue line).  When turning a corner, the GPS assumes you took the shortest route (which would be to cut the corner) thus the change.  I really don't think this plot I show above is the normal GPS error - the watch had found the satellites at least 3-4 mins before I actually started the run (I was chatting!). I have never seen this with my watch before - it's always spot on.   But, I will say, the shape (ie exactly like the track) does suggest that you are correct!

• It's past Kaz o'clock but still very early for me. Beautiful morning for my LSR. 16 miles planned.

London to Brighton race is brilliant idea. Maybe Top Gear would be interested?
  • Dannirr and DV - count me in. If you're willing to race to Brighton, I'm willing to step up to the plate (literally) and eat dinner image .