Running clubs

I have decided I need some support/coaching as I have a tendency to slow down when I get a bit hot and sweaty! But, all my local running clubs train so early; 6.30pm. Who gets home from work that early?! What do others who can't get to a session before 7.30pm do?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I'm home before 6.30 pm, and I work 35 miles from home. 

I'd guess that many people are home by then, otherwise the the clubs would have no runners showing up. 

It also allows time for a decent run and then  something to eat when you get home, all before bed time.

If you want to take advantage of coaching, etc., you'll need to find a way to get to the club.  Can't you change your hours for one day a week?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    It's one of the reasons that I do put go to a club. I can never get home before 7pm and I travel so much that I can't attend on a regular basis.
  • How much do clubs charge for membership on average?  Joining a running/athletics club might be fun. image

• All my local clubs start at 6:00 / 6:30 and I work 60 miles from home so also no good for me either.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I have to change at work and drive quickly to to my club nights to get there for 18:40, I ve been looking at joining another club nearer work and going straight there, could you do that?
  • How about runs before work, I get up really early to run (04:30) and have the whole day ahead of me. Couldnt imagine me doing that a few years ago but now I wouldnt have it any other way.

• I have run before going to work, which is actually quite meditative but solitary. Mr Puffy I've thought about a club near work but that would be central London and I am slightly intimidated. Maybe I should start with parkruns as just being with others might spur me on.
  • Membership tends to be between 22 and 32 pounds. You should make that back in reductions at Sweatshop and lower fees for entering races as you become a member of UK Athletics with your membership fee.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

You could try the Serpentine Running Club, they are central London. 

Membership of my club is £12.50 a year.

Membership of UKA is not necessarily included in club membership fees, so worth checking whether it is or not (if you want to get the discount on race entry). 

My club doesn't include it, it's extra for those who want it, as not all members enter races.

• Thanks for all your help. I've been watching the Olympics and this is the first time since I was about 10 yrs old, that I've felt inspired. I'm too old to think of a running career but I am not too old to work at being the best I can be now. Just rewatched Mo's 10k win and cried all over again. image
  • Tell me about it - if I had this interest in running when I was ten, maybe I would've been with Jess, Mo and company as we speak!

Regarding running clubs, do they all require membership?  My local one look like they'll require £49 a year and £3.50 per session - aren't there any where you can just turn up and pay the one off fee without a hefty membership fee?

I'm very unlikely to start becoming 'competitive' - I just want somewhere where I can run with others round an athletics track from time to time.image  None of my friends are into running, no matter how much I try to convince them otherwise. image

• If you'd like to join a club for free see www.londoncityrunners.com

We set off at 7.15pm on Tuesdays.

• A lot of clubs have an unoffical run on a Sunday morning, you could join a club and then run with them on a Sunday. You would also receive the benefits of discounted race fees by been in a club.

When you are not working you could run with them during the week.

• Lots of clubs round us run on Sundays. Can't you join a club near work? I sometimes struggle to make the 6pm start at mine, but if it was a problem constantly I would join one of the clubs between work and home.