Constant bloating and pain

I have been running for four weeks starting at 20 mins a day on an indoor tredmill. For the last week I have been running 40 mins a day, sometimes outside. For the last 4 days my stomach has bloated out so much it looks like I'm 4 months pregnant and I have a constant sore/swollen feeling which somtimes stops me from walking and I have to sit down. I have read that it may be a sodium problem but how long does it last and what can I do about it?

Comments

• I'd pop down to the Doctor's to be safe. image  When it comes to anything going on with your body, don't trust too much of what you read on the 'net.  A lot of it is wrong, and some will just scare you.  It's probably nothing, but if it was me, I would go to the Doctor's. image

• it could be an IBS issue. The increased excitement of being new to training, increased adrenaline, the body adapting........even possibly the glee of potentially dropping a dress sizeimage. It can lead to symptoms that are more linked to stress related conditions, even though you dont actually feel stressed. Might you ever found a similar bloating or discomfort after a really bad few days at work or after a tough time in your personal life?

Dare I say you might doing a little too much for someone in their 4th week? 40mins a day for a 4 week newbie is admirable/keen but probably too much. You might be 'running' yourself down, please excuse the pun.

I'd Google some beginner training plans which will show you with some variety the best way to go forward and improve as a runner.

Most competing athletes won't like to admit that they can be plagued by all sorts of bowel related annoyances around races, including 'runners trots' (diarrhea before, sometimes inconveniently during and after distance races).

As for a sodium problem? I presume you are referring to the effects of losing too much of the body's salts, minerals and electrolytes during training. I can't say that I'm aware of there being a link between that and stomach bloating. However, make sure that you are well nurished and hydrated prior to excercise (obviously leave exercise at least 60 mins after eating) and make sure that you eat and drink as soon as possible (within 30 mins) of training to replace what the body has lost and to start building up glycogen again.

• what are you eating prior to running?  Running with a full tummy won't help....  could also be an intollerance to a or certain food groups.  Trip to the doc might be a good start (although my doc knows jack diddly about sport related issues it seems)!

• is this only happening when you are running or is it all the time? As others have said there are various causes of stomach bloating, some of which may be nothing to worry about, some could be more serious. You  should see your dr so that the serious things can be ruled out.

• tanya featherstone wrote (see)

I have been running for four weeks starting at 20 mins a day on an indoor tredmill. For the last week I have been running 40 mins a day, sometimes outside. For the last 4 days my stomach has bloated out so much it looks like I'm 4 months pregnant and I have a constant sore/swollen feeling which somtimes stops me from walking and I have to sit down. I have read that it may be a sodium problem but how long does it last and what can I do about it?

OK, just re read your post.  For someone who's only been going four weeks, I'd say that forty minutes a day is overdoing it a bit.  If you're comfortable with forty minutes (well done on that by the way) then keep with it - but have a day's rest in between.  Pop down the Doc's though, just to rule out any potential problems that might crop up now or further down the line. image

• To put your mind at rest a trip to the docs is the place to start.

Are you drinking enough water?
  • RoadRunner76 wrote (see)

I'd pop down to the Doctor's to be safe. image  When it comes to anything going on with your body, don't trust too much of what you read on the 'net.  A lot of it is wrong, and some will just scare you.  It's probably nothing, but if it was me, I would go to the Doctor's. image

EDIT: I just found this article through Google. I hope you find it helpful:

5 Foods That Cause Bloating

Unless you are suffering from some terrible stomach disease (in which case, you need the attention of a physician), your stomach bloating is probably just a result of some of your poor food habits. Often, replacing the bad foods (that cause bloating) with healthier substitutes can offer you permanent relief from bloating and flatulence. In this article, I will tell you about the foods that can make your stomach bloated and constipated! Don't be surprised if some of these foods form the core of your daily diet!

Article Source: http://totalinfotips.com/bloating/5-foods-bloating.php