Honest opinions please

Hi there everybody of RunnersWorld!

Well basically this is my second post and I just wanted to know if its too late to compete for a place in the olympics (ambitious i know)... Im currently 17 and turn 18 next year and I've contacted my local athletics club and they are willing to take me on board and I have to go to chat with them next month. I currently go for a run every 2 days with a rest day in between. I progress my running duration as the days go by. I am willing to do extra training such as plyometrics or anything else to help develop myself and also change my diet. Oh yeah I do the 800m and 400m. Just want honest opinions on whether its quite late as most runners do start training from young image also constructive criticism would help.

Comments

• Hi Riefa,

You are never too late in your teenage years imo, I am 18 myself and only started running 2-3 months ago and I have the same dream as you do. It all depends on yourself, if you are dedicated enough, have some natural ability and can avoid injury, you will achieve your dream of competing in Rio or maybe in the 2020 Olympics.

Think of most of the British gold medalists and listen to their stories, some of them only took up the sport 3-4 years ago just as you are doing, just stick at it and you can achieve anything.

Good Luck! 

• It really depends on your current times Riefa and how much they improve over the next few years.

Anything is possible and its great to aim high, but Olympic places really are reserved for only the elites. Going for a run every two days ain't going to cut the mustard though.

You really need natural talent, a terrific work ethic and a good coach to guide you......and even then you might not get anywhere near Olympic standard. But that isn't the point, enjoy your running, improve, get fitter and you'll probably enjoy the sport anyway. If you prove to be something special......brilliant.

• Not sure if it applies to running, but I heard at least one story in the Olympics of an athlete who'd only picked up their sport four years previously...

• You never know. If you want to improve your odds though, picking the right sport and marrying someone from the right country will help quite a bit!

• Hi Roadrunner76,

I don't doubt that there may well be a few Olympic tales of those who only took up their discipline 4 years previous. But I'd have said that would apply in the vast majority of cases to Olympic sports that aren't truely based on sheer athletic performance.

For example, you might be able to become a superb fencer with only four years experience, or a superb amateur boxer too or an archer or shooter. There really are so many skills based disciplines where a dedicated individual might attain a world class level in four years of training.

But with running events, even in the cases of supreme talent, it is very rare to attain the types of fitness required of a peak athlete and I'd say the longer the distance of the running event, the less likely anyone might be to get to the level of fitness required within 4 years.

The best chance for running in my opinion would be for the many 15-16 year olds in the country who can run 11-12 sec 100m sprints just on their football training. We had one in our year. surely the UK must be full of them! Four years of sprint specific graft at that age with a decent coach might well be able to get some of those guys gown to 10 sec level.

• Thanks a lot everyone who replied much appreciated! I will continue to work even harder and aim to push myself further!

• mike rushton wrote (see)

Hi Riefa,

You are never too late in your teenage years imo, I am 18 myself and only started running 2-3 months ago and I have the same dream as you do. It all depends on yourself, if you are dedicated enough, have some natural ability and can avoid injury, you will achieve your dream of competing in Rio or maybe in the 2020 Olympics.

Think of most of the British gold medalists and listen to their stories, some of them only took up the sport 3-4 years ago just as you are doing, just stick at it and you can achieve anything.

Good Luck! 

Much appreciated Mike, it is motivating to hear that. I will try even harder and put in much more work to try and reach the top if possible, I hope you do aswell!

Thanks