My road to Rio

Comments

• Good luck to you Mike.  If you believe you can do it and you back up your words with commitment, then I wouldn't bet against you.  

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Mike, I'll see you in Rio.  I'll be performing a selection of my massive international hits at the opening ceremony.  I haven't written them yet, but I've still got 4 years.

• I hope you do not get too disapointed.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I have an inkling that he did better than 2.57. More like sub 2.30 or something. I can't find anything. Does anyone else remeber what he managed or am I just going crazy?

I think Vero had to run a sun 2h30 to prove he was on target to achieve his goals, and this would unlock some sponsorship/ funding. He was running out of time and had one last opportunity to do so, which was something like the Malaga Marathon (not 100% sure). He had an achilles problem going into the race, managed to stay on 2h30 pace for quite a while then broke to pieces in the end.

Vero called this an extreme near miss and i call it a typical pattern of failure for someone over-reaching.

How does this relate to you Mike? Well, as on a previous thread, you showed no grasp of the magnitude of the goals you set out before you (and as Stevie G is politely putting), you are flaunting in front of us who will never achieve such goals. If you could comprehend the size of the task and show some ability to break it down into meaningful chunks, a large group of people would applaud you.

When I listen to you, I am hearing the tune "I believe I can fly". To the best of my knowledge, R Kelly was not referring to his frequent flyer/ credit card combination effectiveness, and neither has he been able to take off under his own power (unless my news websites are hiding something from me).

Have you spoken to a coach yet? Have you checked out the facilities and record of the 5 nearest athletics clubs to your home? Have you told the manager of your football team that you are jacking it in to focus wholeheartedly on your obsession of gold in Rio (and chucked in your GF too)? Dreams are good, but without execution, they are just pleasant unreality.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

not sure why anyone would be offended by Mikes goals way regardless of how stretched they are.

Mike you have a good attitude but this will be eroded very quickly when the improver bubble bursts. Go to a club and get some structure.  A good attitude and a structured training and you will help you reach your potential.  it might end a nudge under olympic glory but as long as you peak who cares where that line is drawn image

if i said i wanted to play for Man utd next yr but i hadnt played for any team yet but i looked handy in kickabouts in the garden what would you advice be for me to achieve this goal?

• I don't know if he has a good attitude or maybe just a strange sense of humour. I tend not to take his claims any more seriously than some kid in the park wanting to be the next Wayne Rooney. Good luck to Mike and good luck to the kid in the park too!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I have an inkling that he did better than 2.57. More like sub 2.30 or something. I can't find anything. Does anyone else remeber what he managed or am I just going crazy?

I think Vero had to run a sun 2h30 to prove he was on target to achieve his goals, and this would unlock some sponsorship/ funding. He was running out of time and had one last opportunity to do so, which was something like the Malaga Marathon (not 100% sure). He had an achilles problem going into the race, managed to stay on 2h30 pace for quite a while then broke to pieces in the end.

I find it quite interesting how inflated people's memories are of the whole Vero story...

He had to break 2:45 to get an extra year's funding, was on for doing so, but did the last 2miles in 28mins to come in 2:57.

He did a 1hr 13 half at peak...to say he was on target to ever break 2:30 is astonishingly wrong, and impossible.

• Thanks for all the support so far!

My current 5k pb is 18:43 

My short-term goals are:

Christmas - 17:30-17:45

8 months(March/April) - sub 17

12 months - 16:00-16:30 - this time can compete at county meets, right? 

I watched that Vero documentary and found it very interesting, I find it very inspiring that an overweight adult can turn their life around or whatever through exercise if they put their mind to it, and still achieve a pretty high standard. If he started when he was overweight and older, why can't I?

Also, I want to join an athletics club, just waiting for the money, hopefully will be joining Bolton United Harriers AC soon. 

PS. Im contemplating running the greater manchester marathon in april 2013, although I have a fair bit to go, furthest ive ever ran is 13 miles but that was training. image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Mike: in all seriousness, if you want to succeed as a runner, don't do a marathon in your first few years.  Build up a decent aerobic base (lots of steady running) and improve your 3k/5k/10k times before moving up the distances.  Yes, lots of adult beginners jump up to the marathon quickly, but that's because (in general terms) we're running for fun, not to reach our absolute peak.

• Ok, how about a half marathon then? I think I could tackle the great north run and do pretty well in it. image

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Stevie G - the extra years funding was the required finance to produce the documentary rather than to fund his running training.

Mike, in twelve months time you're planning on running 16:00-16:30, that's equivalent to 10k in 34mins which only leaves you three more years to reduce that to 27:30. I think you're cutting it a bit fine, don't you? Oh and by the way, Mo Farah ran 13:56 for 10k at age 18....were you planning to go for golds in both events or just concentrate on the 5000m?

I'm trying not to be unpleasant about this, so apologies for the tone, but if there's one thing that really gets on my tits it's sad ex-factor types who come on RW, making ridiculous statements about what their going to achieve, without the slightest knowledge of what that entails and stupidly believing that simply wanting it more than anyone else will be enough to get you through. If nothing else, it's disrespectful to those who do understand the magnitude of the task and who quietly work away systematically and diligently to achieve there best potential.

There's a great line in the movie Working Girl that sums it up..."Just because I dance around in the kitchen in my underwear, it doesn't make me Madonna.....never will"
  • Nick. Please tell me you're not comparing Mo Farah of 4 years ago to Mike Rushton 18.xx 5k of 2012. Or is my irony detector malfunctioning again?
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Nick - you're dead right.

It is easy for everyone else to resort to ridicule...... especially when the proposition is so patently ridiculous itself.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nick, you've had your fun having a laugh along at Mike's expense now, so probably time to drop this faux support now eh?  (your mail to another forumite saying you think Mike is trolling was a slight clue image)

Mike's young and keen, which is to be applauded, but the ambition-ometer severely needs to be re-aligned to "realistic".

As for Mo...as I'm sure you're aware, he was already an elite athlete 4 years ago.  He is actually African himself, trains under the best coach in the world, outside the British system, and has spells in Kenya training at high altitude...

Just a few factors in what it takes to become world class.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Tom. wrote (see)
    Stevie G - the extra years funding was the required finance to produce the documentary rather than to fund his running training. 

ps right you are squire...i worded it badly...

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I may be wrong, but I would have thought if he had any talent he would be running a lot quicker than he is now - also having trained in an earlier life with 800/1500 metre runners who had moved up - he needs to be concentrating on shorter distances to develop speed. Sometimes posts and threads on here bring Charlie Speddings book to mind, (I am sure many have read it) and following his 84 Olympic bronze medal, he used to conduct marathon seminars and the question always seemed to arise what can I eat to make me quicker - always looking for a magic forumla - no one seemed interested in the 16 years hard progressive training he had done. Someone actually asked Mo Farrah what he ate for breakfast that makes hi fast - if only it was that easy.

That said who knows, a little ge may have been unearthed here - but rest assured he will be up against me - I will only be 56 then and I am sure if I train hard enough and take whatever that Belarussian shot putter took!

• JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Mike - You could have come on here saying you were inspired by Mo's performance and felt like you wanted to give running a shot. Maybe asking some for advice rather than stating it's going to take you 4 years to get under 13min 5k and win double gold without having a real clue what a long road it is. You probably lost most people's respect on here with those bold claims as if it was your destiny. Mo did not drink some magic potion and as said before he was already sub 14 at your age.

I have seen some quite remarkable improvements from some on RW knocking considerable time off their marathon times in 3/4 years but it gets harder the quicker you get. You may find that your initial target from 18high to 17:30 is achievable in 6 months but be prepared for a plateaue.
  • Massive WUM.

Shame on the majority of you for not seeing him for what he is.

• Wow this topic has made such a stir in only a day, thanks for all your replies. image

I know there's only a very slim chance I will even make the olympic team, I stated that I hope to make it, and am determined to try my best because I was inspired by Mo's performance, theres other factors to consider to, injures, surrounded by the right people etc. 

Im sorry if I offended anyone, I understand everyone here is a keen runner just like me and have worked hard for most of your lives to achieve your targets, I just hope I can achieve mine, no matter how 'unrealistic' they may be, I will do everything in my power to achieve it.

Have a good nights sleep everyone! 

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Good night Mike, sweet dreams!
  • There's far worse things you could be trying to achieve at 18.

• Little Ninja wrote (see)

There's far worse things you could be trying to achieve at 18.

Than trying to become the internets finest troll?

• I genuinely don't know what a WUM is. Massive or otherwise. I suspect probably like Gareth that the OP is just having a slightly demented laugh. I think most people have responded reasonably and one person got all fake protective. I think that person deserves the tag of troll or WUM or whatever term you people use rather than Mike.
  • ahhhhhhhhh. Wind up Merchant!! Yes he probably is
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

WUMs don't generally go public with their race results and real name.

They tend to talk about what they've done in training, yet never prove it in races.

Justy strikes me as a naive dreamer. Which isn't the worst crime!

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I dont think its mad to have a totally unrealistic, far off goal to aim at. Its the perfect motivation for when you really cant be bothered to go out and train. However, you do need to offset that with some one or two season acheivable goals.

We discussed something similar at the very early stages of the middle ground thread.

I've always thought of it like this:

Dream big, but plan smart

By that I mean break down your dreams in manageable pieces and re-evalutate them often.

Mike I applaud your crazy dreams (I have some crazy ones myself), but you do really need to get a handle on the short term targets because right now they look unrealistic. As others have said a club or a coach will help you do that.

Keep chipping again - you'll get fit having a go as PRF likes to say

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

MR - If Rio is the goal you've picked the most impossible sport for someone like yourself.