Nike Flyknit Racers

BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when these are due out ?

Theywere flagged up back in Feb but I`ve seen/heard nothing since.

Comments

• 27th July - very selective distribution - very limited numbers - quite pricey - I want some...

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

I`m first in line...image

• How are you finding them? im tempted to order some but I hate not being able to try them on before i buy image

• mrandyyumrandyyu ✭✭✭

I bought a pair blind via a friend that was in London for the Olympics. I went for the orange Flyknit Racers in a UK size 8 and upon first trying them out, they were very snug and wear quite narrow, especially with all the Flywire cables in use (you can customise the fit by only using select cables). The general concensus is that you should go down by half a shoe size in these, though I find the UK 8, which is my normal Nike running shoe and casual shoe size, to fit perfectly fine and would even go as far to say they're the best fitting running shoe I've ever had.

• Would you say they are worth the cost? image

• mrandyyumrandyyu ✭✭✭

Tough question!

They feel great and I ran a Parkrun 5k in them with a full on cold and was only 10 seconds slower than my all time 5k PB, so the low weight must have helped compensate somewhat.

The Zoom sole looks a little delicate and if I were to guess how many miles they could take before losing their cushioning or wearing the sole compound away, I'd say you could probably get 200 - 300 miles out of them. These are also geared towards forefoot or midfoot strikers with this in mind.

The Flyknit Trainer may be a better investment for longer term use, but then loses out on the weight advantage clocking in at 260g per shoe versus the 160g per shoe of the Racers.

For me, they are possibly just a little over priced at £150 per pair. The US price is $150 per pair and even factoring in local sales tax at 10% max, at the current exchange rate they only cost £105 or so. If they were £120 - £130, I'd be happier with the price. All said and done, I'm content with my purchase and I've been lusting after them ever since Nike released that awesome promo teaser video of them earlier in the year. They also get a lot of attention amongst fellow runners; I had several Parkrunners ask me how I found them and pretty much repeated what I've posted here.

They're an emotional purchase, so purchase with your heart and not your head image

• Great! im going to london soon and ill be poping down to the london house of innovation to see what they are like! image 

I may get the normal version if they are better build than the racer ... my current running shoes are well above the weight anyways!

do you feel the need to adjust your running? (e.g. to bare foot style running) ... i currently run heel first 

Thanks so much for you help!

• Also, is there any other place to buy them? 

I know you can get them online, and i think you can get them at selfridges nike innovation thing image

• mrandyyumrandyyu ✭✭✭

My friend got my pair for me from Nike Town on Oxford Circus and I believe the Nike running store in Covent Garden also has them in stock. I also heard Runners Need stores around central London also have them in limited stock. In the US, pretty much any sport shop has them in at the moment so it's clear most of the stock went over there.

My friend was umming and ahhing over the Trainer but she said for £150, she would want the weight advantage of the Racer but declined because she's a heel striker. I can't comment over how well these would hold up for heel strikers because I'm a forefoot-midfoot striker which works well with these. They have a good energy return for an added spring in your step which seems to be missing from my other Nike Lunar shoes, clearly designed for cushioning rather than speed.

Nike's website does a hassle free return if you don't like them. Take a chance, you know you want to!

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

I do want to...but....£150....I think I`ll stick with my Lunaracers which are almost as light.

I suppose I also resent Nike taking advantage of the Olympics to effectively double the price of a shoe (decent shoe though it may be).

• What's the heel and toe heights
  • The Racer has an 11mm drop and the Trainer has a 10mm drop according to Nike themselves.