Great South Run

Hi,

Hi, I hope someone can help. I'm trying to train for the Great South Run this year and would like to know of any courses in and around Bracknell/Berkshire where I could train without being interrupted by roads as these really seem to put me off my stride.

I know of places like the Look Out but have got lost on more than one occasion so the route would have to be pretty basic and easy to follow (I was not gifted with a good sense of direction image) or if anyone would be willing to run with me then that would be even better. My pace currently stands at about 9.50 per mile.

Thank you in advance.... Mandy

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Mandy,

If you're near Coral Reef - there's some nice woods around there with paths and maps. I've run round there once or twice and even with my sense of direction it was fine!

Alternatively head down the A30 and go to Virginia Water. If you go round the Lake it's 5 miles and no traffic (well apart from walkers). Good luck with your training -i'll see you on the start line at the GSR!

• Excellent, thanks Emmy_bug, I'll try Virginia Water this week.

This will be my first proper race so I'm quite excited. See you there.
  • Virginia Water is a great suggestion. You could also go a bit further down the A30 and join the Thames path at Runnymede. Run for five miles along the Thames in either direction, then turn around and run back.

• Thank you Kryten. I'll get my map out and try that one next week. I'm so glad I posted on this forum. I assume their are signs for the Thames path?
  • Yes, there are some signs. But once you have found the Thames you can't go wrong really as you are just following the path next to the river. Occasionally, when you get to a bridge you might have to cross over and then continue on the other side (for example if you get to Staines) but there are signs then.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Good point Kryten. I was just thinking Virginia Water as its closer to Bracknell. I like the Thames Path as well (i normally start out from Englefield Green, head down coopers hill and then pick up the path from there). My only problem with the path is that on nice days the path is never normally big enough for walkers as well as runners.