So now they are over - what was the best moment for you?

I'm undecided as there were so many individually brilliant moments - Nicola Adams was historically important, Jennis was fantastic and of course Mo! Overall though I think it wasn't the athletes themselves, but the spectators. Omnipresent, loud at all the right moments and in many interviews (and not just of Team GB) of the athletes they said how the crowd spurred them on. So what was best for you? 

Comments

• One of many

The wall of sound as Wiggo came through on the time trial

experienced many times at some of the events, the noise was immense

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Vino winning the road race.

• Denise Lewis jumping up and down and getting over exited with Colin Jackson during the 10,000m final... While John Inverdale remained 100% professional and tried to listen to his earpiece as to what they were going onto next.

Go Mo.

• Loads of great moments, but to single out just one - David Rudisha's world record victory in the 800 m. I don't think I've ever seen a more inspiring run (and my athletic memories go back to the early '70's).

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

The joy on Tom Daley's face at winning bronze. A huge contrast to the chinese diver who won silver scowled and sulked

• This.. well, not this in particular, but what it means, the fact that athletes from all countries, even closest rivals were happy for each other, and congratulating each other reardless of what country they were from or where they finished. 

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s480x480/488374_10151011681458315_994168952_n.jpg

• Too many to mention!

Seeing two British gold medals and two world records broken (by brits) in the velodrome was immense - my kids loved it and I still can't believe we got that lucky in the ticket ballot.

Obviously the Mo moments stand out, the lovely lady rower mouthing 'we've won the Olympics were going to be on a stamp', and Tom Daley being overjoyed with his bronze medal.

And a special mention goes to Claire Balding's interviews of Bert le Clos. image
  • Far too many great moments to single out just one. But yes, the crowd support has to be amongst the best thing ever, I just wish it could continue with everybody getting along as they have done for the past couple of weeks.

And I have to agree, Bert was a joy to see.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Mo's 5k/10k double was awesome.

Rudisha's 800m WR was an incredible display compared to the jog and sprint for the line like in the other middle distance races.

The fact that EVERY British cyclist at the games broke a WR in the velodrome at some point.

• For me the crowd support was the best thing, I was at Boxhill for the road races and seeing the crowds there and on the big screens was brilliant.

I also had the good fortune to see the swimming, I can only describe the noise in the Aquatics centre as like a jet engine, amaxing.  I was also at the Athletics on Saturday and again the crowd noise was load load load loud, watching Mo win the 5000 meters the noise went around the stadium as a massive wave as the athletes lapped the track. 

I think the british public deserve a massive pat on the back for getting behind our athletes and their genuine respect for other countries.

Go Team GB

• Best bit?  ....i think the fact we threw a party, the world came and everyone danced (best not mention Boris dancing though).

London smiled for once.

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Inspired by my little 5 mile run (walk!) this morning I was thinking what were my top 5 moments:

Clare Balding interviewing Bert Le Clos - loved him

Jess' win in general, the pressure that girl must have been under as 'poster girl' was immense

Chris Hoy holding off the german guy in the Kierin and the footage of his Mother watching

Charlotte DuJardin and Valegro winning Individual Gold - pure beauty in motion

The general atmosphere of the crowds and round the country in general - fab

Worst moment for me - having secured tickets for the stands on The Mall for the mens road race and positioning ourselves right next to the podium for our close up of Cav ...image

Loved it all - roll on paralympics image

• Ah too many to mention.  Soooooooo grateful I managed to get athletics tickets - the wall of sound that moves round the stadium following the runners will be with me forever.  Just being part of a home team supporting crowd (there and at home) and getting to see all our athletes do so well was fantastic.  Jess Ennis winning and Mo Farah winnimg the 10K were the most emotional for me, cried like a baby, hehehe.  I love the way it has brought everyone together image

• I was disappointed to only get tickets for weight lifting. It was the B string 55kg women and 58kg men. It turned out to be great. Even though there were no Brits taking part it was still exciting, you just wanted to everyone to do well.

To top it all the last male lifter attempted and achieved a new OR the crowd willed the bar up. I am sure the athlete will treasure that moment for ever. It was great to be a tiny part of it. My kids were inspired and loved it. It was even better finding out that none of the A stream lifters beat him and he got the gold medal.

Jess and Mo were brill. My son now wants to be Mo.

• For me, I was Swim Team GB jumping into the diving pool when Tom Daley got bronze. His sheer delight with what he had achieved was lovely to watch.
  • Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    For me, Tom Daley

Thats a surprise image

• Jess Ennis sripping off and joining Laura Trott in the shower with a large loofar....

• Dave - I must have missed that - do you think it is still available on the BBC i-player?

• That or the dark recesses of my mind

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Best bit - Jade Jones' entire campaign in the Taekwondo. Mindblowing!

• Trott, King and Rowsell; awesome!

Kat Copeland's 'we've won the Olympics'

Being in the stadium for Rudisha's WR; at 400m all the people around me just looked at eachother because the penny dropped about what we were about to see.

Dave Brailsford's 'not just round, but really, really round' wheels.

I've spent most of the last fortnight sobbing like a big girl's blouse.

Oh and Vino winning the road race, obviously image

• Too many magical moments to mention.

I was at the men's basketball quarter finals - my lasting memory of that evening will be the USA team "high-fiving" the Australian slalom canoeist dressed in a whopping great boxing kangaroo outfit - bizarre and hilarious at the same time.

The girl who won through to the judo final (Gemma Gibbons) and looked to the ceiling and mouthed "I love you Mum" reduced me to a puddle on the floor.

• Lots of shake-head-in-awe moments but for me, its gotta be Bolt. I just find the 100M to be the most distilled demonstration of raw athletic power; less about tactics (if any) and all about running as fast the f**k you can to the line. Surely there's no other event that has quite the anticipation and tension in those few seconds before the gun goes. Then in less than ten seconds, BAM...it's over. Despite his doubters, the 'big man' (to quote Colin Jackson) proved he's still the guv'nor.

• Bert De Clos

GREAT Britain - we all got behind it and it was good news every day!

The good grace and syle and panache with which all the athletes behaved - a great inspiration

• JjJj ✭✭✭

FlatFooted - you clearly have poetry in your soul. :'o)

For me, all the above and many, many more. Each seemed to supercede the previous. I never, ever expected to be totally consumed in such a staggeringly emotional way by the whole fortnight.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Graham "legs in threads" wrote (see)

Too many magical moments to mention.

I was at the men's basketball quarter finals - my lasting memory of that evening will be the USA team "high-fiving" the Australian slalom canoeist dressed in a whopping great boxing kangaroo outfit - bizarre and hilarious at the same time.

Men's basketball has got to be the least competitive of the sports at the Olympics...

Of the 17 Olympic games USA have competed in, they've won 14....and one of the times they didn't win was a dodgy controversial timing error, meaning they came 2nd by 1 point...

And then coming 3rd the other 2 times...

Helps when you have the only competitive league in the world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_Summer_Olympics

erm   asyou were folks...