Wednesday 15th August 2012

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and
snakes, an aeroplane and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

The lyrics are inspired by a cartoon I saw during the Olympic period, "and in other news..."

Nice to see some new and old faces.
I don't know what's on my programme today, I'll take a weather check. I mangled my running legs Monday, swum a mile yesterday. So no doubt it will rain...

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

I was verrrry slowww at typingg because my keyyyyys are allll sticking! Funily enough I know the lyrics!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

Yesterdays lyrics: 'Rio' by Duran, Duran.

What: 4.5M Steady

Why: A recovery run

Nice sun rise, Dry and warm so far.

Catch up over brekkie.

Back later

• snap; Yeah first one on chooses lyricsimage Please be aware, there have been some 'crackers' imageposted. Okay often by me I admitimage

• Morning.

Great to see you TR. Feeling better now?

We'd appreciate a new lyrics setter Snap, especially when birkmyre is on holiday and we end up with a week of mine!

OH - lovely to see you here too. I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to trying sea kayaking - and exploring your beautiful aprt of the world. Elspeth tells me that Kirkwall Half is flat but I think this may be relative?

Blisters - it's great when you get those breakthroughs. I have to admit that I was so overjoyed to have the indoor pool back yesterday that I did my longest swim for months. I'm planning on doing some OW whilst in Orkney but mine will be in a wetsuit unlike OH!

Dry and warm here too birkmyre but we're forecast rain this afternoon just when Grace's friend is due to visit!

What:             easy run
    Why:              legs still feeling Monday a little/half marathon on Sunday
    Last hard:       20/7
    Last rest:        11/8

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH: Yup the more the merrier who start this thread.

Think heavy rain forecast later here today, warm rain though...image

• Morning Folks

Back from the annual trip to those Valencian hill above Alicante, damn hot in the sand pit.

Old and new faces on here, welcome to all. 

Have been back 12 days and am trying to lose the 6kg that appeared post Outlaw, half of it has melted away so getting there. Back into training mode as the new season approaches, so

What: 2 K swim set at lunch, Intervals on the track tonight
    Why: The race season is approaching
    Last hard: Outlaw 1st July
    Last Rest: 12 days 

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

What:            legs only swim (well, obviously all of me will be in the pool, but I'll only be using my legs)
    Why:             ankle strengtheniinginging - and it hurts so I quite like it.
    Last hard:       13/12
    Last rest:        14/12

Lyrics - no - and I'm resisting the urge to google them. 

Talking of swimming - anyone here ever done a marathon swim? 

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Hold on, I think I've got it... anything to do with Ronald The Raygun? 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

lyrics, no

snap I need to do some of that legs only my style is awful! Like that you like that it  hurts!

lmh sea kayaking, wow! Did white water at llangollen, loved it till I subsided! ha ha

alehouse nobody likes sticky keyboards!

What: 5k race hopefully

why: achilles totally fine now so I think it was overload on MOnday, when will I learn!

last hard: monday

last easy: yesterday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Glad the Achilles feels good today, Wabo: make sure you do lots of stretching to prevent a recurrence. Ice pack is on mine as I write: 26th icing in 45 hours!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all, and hello & welcome to the newbies! 
    what - 4 or 5 steady
    why - midweek lethargy
    last hard - fitting in 2 miles yesterday
    last rest - sometime last week

lyric - yes indeedy

have a tip top day

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Good luck with the race Wabo - I've found the swimming has helped some odd little niggles and nagging little pains that have just gone away with remarkably little effort. I've also found it really useful for CV fitness and teh improvements come quickly. Or that's what I think.

• Love this little daily thread, I'm a constant ghost viewer so thought I'd better pop my head in!!

Trying to work out the whole lyrics and shenanigans that go on in here, when i first started reading, it seemed like a thread for rambling mental folkimage

Does anyone experienced wanna talk me through the lyrics thing etc?!?!? Is it the song you have in your head whilst running or actually listening to?? Intriguing for sure!!

Cheers - Chris

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Welcome, CG4: the format is...
    what
    why
    last hard
    last rest
    Possible comments about the weather/other people's training/races etc.
    And the lyrics...first one up in the morning sets, preferably the first lines  and preferably either running related or topical. They are then revealed last thing at night, or more likely, the next day.

Stick around and you will get the hang of it.

And yes, it is indeed a thread for rambling mental folk (or at least one of us is).

• Make that two Alehouse!

Hello CG4 - glad you felt safe enough to delurk image

snap - longest I've swum is 5k.

DD - your holiday flew by didn't it. Outlaw again next year or somewhere different?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I'll stick around then!! That makes sense, I'm with it.

Look forward to joining in the ramblings then, nice one.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Ramblings for today.......

What: 7.2m steady and relaxed

Why; Timed this to get a feel for what steady and relaxed pace is.

Last Hard: Today...I know that doesn't make sense but see below

Last Rest: Saturday 4th August

The plan for today was to go out comfortable and just clock what pace that produced. Conditions were humid and windy but was running relaxed 8:00 miles up to 6miles...then the wheels came off. I suspect that it was an accelerating cardiac drift that pushed me through my lactic threshold and I guess yesterdays fartlek session had left some lead in the legs.

Lyrics: not tday, but I did recognise the ones from the aborted thread.

Alehouse: re your achilles/calf issues, is it an accumulation of scar tissue that is causing the muscle/tendon to tear when it's put under stress?
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hang on a minute...Lyrics yes...Rapid Eye Movement saves the day.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

cheers alehouse, that is the problem with me, when theystart to feel ok again I forget the stretching!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Chris, Snap and Other Half, Welcome

What - Speed work later
    Why - Needs must if I am to get faster......
    Last Hard - Mon
    Last Rest - Yesterday

Lyrics - NO

Take care

• What:             Birthday meal out with daughter this evening
    Why:              Her Birthday last Saturday
    Last hard:       14/8
    Last rest:        13/8

LM.H - Kirkwall HM is less hilly than say Hoy or Langdale but certainly not flat.

Still misty today

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Hi again!
    Tom: not sure why everything keeps breaking down...I seem to have to do only the slightest thing to cause a problem. On the 3rd I felt very optimistic about being able to run in the near future; currently I don't feel very optimistic about being able to walk very far. Am going to suggest another scan when I speak to running doc tomorrow.

Are you back home now, Tom, after all the excitement of the last few weeks: rather an anti-climax isn't it!

Wonder how Emzap  is getting on.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse: Yes back home again and suffering withdrawal symptoms. I'm afraid that the national Olympic euphoria will be swept away by the autumn return of X-factor and the football season. Not withstanding that, I'm still inspired to give the running my best shot, though it is helped by having been injury free now for seven months. As I've often said, my all time running hero is Emil Zatopek, but I still remember, at the age of 12, being uplifted by Herb Elliot's awesome Rome 1960 1500m victory.

Over my long running career I've had several periods when I've been plagued by calf injury problems:

July-Dec 1973: Was running track and constant pulls, so took nine months off and came back to the road running very slowly and built up from there.

Jan-June 2002: Treadmill running, continuing pulls, again stopped running for three months

March-June 2011: Constant problems so stopped running for 6 months.

Most of my problems were aggravated by either trying to run through the injuries but more significantly by trying to come back too soon. I eventually got to look at it this way.......I can rest it for a month, then ask myself should I run tomorrow or rest? If I rest It's only a day, if I run and re-injure it then if lost another month. Sometimes it pays to be hypersensitive..

Soft tissue re-injuries are down to the following:

Old injury (strain or tear) given insufficient time to heal and re-injured on resumption of exercise

Build up of scar tissue causing inflexible muscular areas which tear again on resumption of exercise.

Basic underlying muscular strength or poor biomechanics which render the muscle suscpectable to damage on recommencement of exercise.

Soft tissue injuries can be graded by degree (have a look at some of the Brian Mac/Peak performance articles on this). Simple strains can be overcome in 2-3 weeks, more serious tears in 3-4 months.

Step one is to allow the tissue to heal - RICE and all that stuff. Given the degree of your problem, I'd reckon on a minimum of two months with no stress whatsoever applied to the muscle. At the end of that period you'll have a reasonably healed injury with lots of scar tissue just waiting to re-injure the first time you over stress it!

The next phase is a combination of physio treatment and self massage (cricket ball across the direction of the muscle fibres) and strengthening (static closed kinetic exercises and gentle hopping reps/backward lunges). Probably about a month of this followed by very very gentile resumption of jogging on sympathetic surfaces. Treat any adverse reaction as serious enough to send you back to the previous phase. The most import thing it to constantly keep the "one day more rest against one more month potential injury recovery" in mind.

With regard to specific achilles tendon problems the issues are further compounded by the poor blood supply to tendon, at least doubling recovery times, and the possibility of scar tissue around the tendon fusing it to the sheath that it is contained in - usually resolved by surgery.

I'm not sure how much of this is of help, possible worth discussing with your physio. It's always a bit unreliable extrapolating someone else's views on injury to one's one own circumstances....that's the main reason that I never visit the health and fitness threads,
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Just another thought relating to the above and some previous comments on stretching:

Historically I'm a product of the 1970s (and 1980s) club running "last man standing, burn up" brigade, and was never one for stuff like stretching and core stability work. To be fair I still don't do a lot of general stretching and core stab ility, but everyday without fal I do a short 15 minute stretching sequence which addresses those areas which have historically caused me injury problems - lower leg, hip flexors and lower back and pelvic areas. I don't bother with quads, hamstrings, ITB or upper body as they've never caused me any problems.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Interesting post, Tom: many thanks! I was indeed up to your second phase but it seems to have been the gentle hopping (I only did 2 x 3 hops, ever so gently, supervised by the phys) that caused the problem. Have in fact discussed most of your post with the phys over the last six months! Will be discussing the surgery option tomorrow, not least in terms of recovery, but wouldn't go down that route without a scan.

Historically I ran best when I was doing either weights or circuits each week, or lots of flexibility work: the latter was a necessity for a steeplechaser!

Thanks again!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Jeez - reading this I'm grateful to the running gods that, apart from my ankle, I've remained relatively injury free.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Interesting comment re the hops. I was recommended to do the backwards lunges before graduating to the hopping.

The really best help I've had dealing with my injury issues over the past few years came from Mark Buckingham...top man and really nice bloke. If you read AW you'll have seen some really informative articles and lower body injury issues.

In the past I've run the S/C a few times. Now can't imagine how I ever managed to get over those obstacles. I genuinely don't think that I would now have the nerve to attempt the water jump.

Everyday in everyway you're reminded of the passage of time.....why won't the broke bits work anymoreimage
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Snap: Injury is a paradox - If you're not injured then you're not training hard enough. Athletes have two states of fitness, they are either recovering from injury or are in the process of getting injured.

That may sound a bit cynical, but more seriously there's this fine line between being fit and being injured. In the past I've often argued that the risk of injury is a price worth paying for athletic excellence. I still believe this even though I was almost constantly injured during 2008-2011. Despite that, by training hard in the past I've achieved some worthwhile (for me, anyway) performances.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Hello! Guten Tag.

Wow, I move country, am offline for a week and 3 new people appear.  Hello everyone.

Alehouse all is well.  We have moved successfully, all our things seem to be here (though we are missing a lot as lots are still in boxes)! Our drive over was easy, though 7.5 hours in the car didn't do much good for my hip! We arrived to find there were no light fittings (just wires sticking out of the ceiling),  no curtain rails and no kitchen!  Kitchen is coming on Monday, fridge tomorrow, we have internet, some lights, all in all things are looking up.  It's a very pretty town too and we live 2 mins walk from the bottom of the forest going in to the mountain image

Anyway, unless unpacking counts as exercise, I have also taken my mountain bike out for the 1st time in years.  The hills nearly killed me!  Also, been for a run around the city and my hip seemed to hold out.  Just went out to find the local pool, but I could only find 2 outdoor pools, and as it's 30C today here they were filled with screaming children!  May go back later and see if they look more appealing then!

Promise to pop in more regularly now I have internet.  Sad to have missed so much of the Olympics, only got tv today too.  Need to find where I can watch the closing ceromony...

Have a good one all

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Tom: Yes, had progressed from walking backward to backward lunges...hops were next. I know of Mark Buckingham, of course...I'm using someone on the WIrral used by team GB athletes as well as having massage (across the line of collagen) from a sports masseuse who used to work with Lance Armstrong but now works with Queen Victoria and Shenaze Reade, amongst others: in a phone call yesterday she said she didn't want to touch my legs for a few days until things have settled down.

On a lighter note you should have seen little me at 5foot 6 run the 110m hurdles! It wasn't funny from where I was standing/running but it probably was from the side lines. Anything to score points for the team. 400 hurdles was the hardest event I ever did on the track, though.