If you couldn't lie...

BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Image that not an untrue word could pass your lips - do you think it woud make much difference to your life? Would you get in trouble at work, with your other half? 

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I think i'd be in more trouble at work as I have to very diplomatic on occasions. I also think that with certain family members -I could also get into a bit of troubleimage

With my other half - i think he hears everything before my brain kicks into gear so there's no real danger!

• Define 'truth'...........speaker/reader and the listener/writer may hear/see different meanings.

If it applied only to me that would be unfair (to me and them) as some questions would result in answers people might find upsetting to hear or difficult to accept. The 'truth' is not always an easy concept. In all probability I would be shunned!

However if it applied to everyone it would make little difference as everyone would refrain from asking awkward questions. The fact that many people would then misunderstand what they hear and see is what happens generally ( in a world of lies and truth) and give or take a few wars and murders we all get along just fine! 

• I'm wondering what the original question means by "Truth" - I think sometimes in questions like this one it's taken to mean exactly what you think as you think it, whereas I think it's quite possible to be honest but still be diplomatic.  In my current and previous job it's important not to lie - e.g. as a teacher telling parents that little Johnny is doing well whereas in reality he's a lazy little sod will set false expectations that will come round to bite me at a later date.  However it's still possible to make the same point without calling him a lazy little sod.

• I agree with XFR Bear in that you can be honest, but it depends how you deliver the message.

I am quite a blunt speaker and come straight to the point, yet I realise that can be hurtful to others. I have learnt with time and experience that I can still be truthful with others but to say in such a way that is easier to accept.

You also have to be aware of how the other person coud be feeling at the time of honesty. I could say something at one point and it be acceptable, but in another circumstance it could be like a red rag to bull
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I didn't define truth because often there's an element of opinion involved, and so obviously it will differ depending on who speaks/hears the message. 

It was just meant as a light-hearted question image

I was thinking along the lines of having to pretend that you love your friend's new haircut, or that your kid's macaroni collage is a work of art  image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I wouldn't get into trouble at work - but I would at home. I'd be a dead man.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Depends on whether you can just say nothing (rather than actually telling a lie) - that would be my preferred option!

Friend's haircut?  If asked, I'd probably say I had really loved it the way it was before rather than say I hated it now.

Kids' pictures - none of my friends have kids young enough to worry about that one (and they would know better than to let the kids anywhere near me).

I try to be tactful, but I don't tell outright lies very often*.  I don't lie (or even try to be all that tactful) with my Squeeze.

* I did tell two woppers on Saturday, but I am trying to sell my flat!

I can't think of a time when I've felt the need to be anything but honest at work, but sometimes need to be diplomatic.

• Oh man, I'd SO be up shit creek. LOL!

At work: "I actually think you're a fat lazy peasant and btw, how does one acquire a managerial position while thinking thank's and Jame's require apostrophes? And Jesus f**k, it's only a supermarket, we're not transplanting organs or saving babies; get a grip and stop acting like it's the end of the world if a banner for ketchup isn't hung exactly the way you think it should be..." 

At home: "Watching you eat reminds me of Jabba the Hutt."

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

There's a lot of difference between being honest and just saying whatever comes into your head.

MInd you, I might go with the  "Watching you eat reminds me of Jabba the Hutt." 

Then again, I would not live with someone who made me think that!

• I have to tolerate some people who are terminally stupid for one reason or another and it's all I can do to not blurt out the screamingly obvious sometimes but I stay schtum to keep the peace and not hurt their feelings.

And then I go onto JB's rant page and vent my spleen.image

It feels like dishonesty though....

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Silence is golden.  It's a strategy that I use a lot to keep me out of trouble.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

LB, you are neither quiet,or ever out of trouble image

• I can't think of any lies I've told today either!

Which is either a first. Or a lie image

• If I were to voice my true opinion of a whole range of things at work I'd be in a very sticky position with all the prima donnas in the office so like Super Caz I keep my mouth shut, unless what's being said only has relevance to the actual work.

• Anyone ever said the truth on the last day, when they hand you a shit present and you're supposed to make a speech? I did image

• I don't tell the truth. I did a psychology test that scored your potential to lie or tell the truth. I came out at the whopper end. image

• I wish I could just say what I was thinking rather than having to temper it. Bah!