High Ambitions

I have always been talented at running, but I have never really done any training, and I had only ran the occasional 1500m race at school until now. After being inspired by the Olympics, I decided to make it a goal of mine to train on a regular basis, and yesterday I completed a 5 mile run organised by a running club in 35 minutes. I'm certain that with regular training, I can run even faster, possibly in 25 minutes. Am I being over ambitious, or do I actually have potential? Any responses are highly appreciated.

Comments

• What do your coaches say?  Since you're still at school, you're young enough to give it a damn good shot regardless.  The main thing is to enjoy it, because if you do you'll be better at it. image

• I'm not in school any more, haha! I'm 19 years of age, and I haven't really ran that much since school. I just thought I'd give it a go after watching the Olympics. I was pretty surprised with my run time yesterday, and now I want to go really far in running. Anyway, the guy who owns the running club was impressed, and he wants me to go again next week! Thanks for the advice anyway! image 

• Oh - sorry; I assumed by your name that you were at school.image  What is your ultimate aim?

• To run professionally, I guess! I know that it's going to take a lot of hard work, but now I have refound my love for running, I believe that I can actually do it!

PS I'm the 12th James Lloyd, that's why my name is what it is! Now, to change my username...

• Nope, my bad! I forgot to change my DOB... image

• For a 19 year old to run 5 miles in 35 minutes without any distance training is good. Its an average of 7 minutes per mile. But be very careful when you say you think you can do 25 minutes, this could easily take several years....even for someone young and talented. 25 mins is 5 minute mile pace. Just try one 5 minute mile and you'll realise the enormity of the task in hand.

But enjoy your running and if possible join a club and/or get a coach.

• I know that it's going to take a lot of work, and I understand that the only way I'm going to improve is by running more. I just hope that I'll get better in time really! 

• Well, best of luck with it mate.  Work hard, enjoy it and see what happens. image  Seven minute miles, eh; I'd be happy to get mine under ten minutes. image  I might join my local running club soon as well, but it's far too late for me to start getting any 'high ambitions' - now, if I'd had this interest in running and fitness as a teenager...

So if any opportunities come your way, grab them with both hands! image

• 5 miles in 35 mins is pretty good.  You'd learn a lot by joining your local running club. I'm sure they'd be glad of you.