Thursday 16th August 2012

Morning

'Now the party's over I'm so tired'. These are todays lyrics

What:4.5M Fartlek.,. Hard

Why: I need it. Oh yes Warm, dry. Dunno for how long thats lasting !

Great to see thread so busy yesterday.

Just like in bygone days of yore

I really will need to catch up over coffee and toast.

Right coffee time

Have   agood one.

Comments

• Welcome Chris: Welcome to 'the rambling mental training' forumimage Sums me upimage

Sums most of us up ...image

• Morning Folks

Birkmyre: Indeed yesterdays thread was reminiscent of the days of yore.

LMH: Holidays always pass too soon. I have officially retired (being two years older than Blisters, but 10 younger than Tom) from Long Distance Tri. 2013 has Dubai Marathon,  Sri Lanka 1/2 IM and LEJOG written all through it. It will also be the year of my return to blighty which will be interesting given that I left in 1975.

What: Recovery run
    Why: Pushed those intervals hard last night and given that it was 38C and around 75% RH they were tough.
    Last Hard: Last night, this was my second week back at speed work after a 6 month break.
    Last Rest: 3rd August

• Great reading Tom and ales exchanges . National Leagues !  Wel lScottish Leagues in my case )

Ahh the memories of doing a discus throw, then nipping over to do a 110mH for points. Well two points in total to be exact,one for being last in each event.  The moment I realised I was never going to be a decathleteimage

Then hearing I'd just done a pb in Long Jump whilst sitting getting changed. We had a US guy over on holiday who was a friend of a club member. A 'guest'  competing for the club (allegedly)and did the long jump with my number.'Tut, tut. image'Need to look up my Long Jump 'pb' laterimage

• Dd: Morning

Yup agreed and hopefully we can have  good long thread going regularly.

• Morning.

I enjoyed yesterday's thread.

DD - so it's official, you're returning to the land of cold, wind and rain? Change of employment or move within the company?

Blisters - I actually think sprint tri's are harder, a bit like 5k racing (though I've never run a standalone 5k - 10k is bad enough for me).

TR - you probably could get your money back. It's normally over subscribed and there are usually people on TT looking to bu a place if the organisers agree - not that I want to tempt you but it is what I had to do with my early season HIM and getting the entry fee back made it much more palatable.

What:         long bike.
    Why:          last chance to make it count before the HIM
    Last hard:   20/7
    Last rest:    11/8

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning all and a tip of the cap for all the welcomes.........

What: Circuits last night

Why: Still sweating 4 nights of Ibiza out of my systemimage

Last Hard: Last night

Last rest: 13/8

Currently gearing the training toward Mens Health survival of the fittest in October. Me and a few friends are in the same wave, and the banter is getting a little "spirited" shall we say!! Thinking of entering Kettering half marathon next month to keep me out there and on it. No idea what it's like, but going to give it a shot.

Happy running folk.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

What: Easy 5 - 7 miler

Why: trying a local running club (don't want to show anyone up, do I?)

Last hard: 13/8

Last rest: 14/8

Lyrics: No.

LMH, out of interest, which HIM are you doing? I've never done a triathlon (two small children, lack of kit and financial imperatives do get in the way of training). I wonder how much of a stretch it would be for me to jump straight in and do an HIM. I normally race HM's, a 50 mile bike ride feels fairly do-able (I occasionally do the 70-mile round trip to and from work by bike) and I've done an IM distance swim recently. I once heard it said that if you can do each element separately, then stringing them together isn't too hard. A freind of mine did the Helvellyn Triathlon last year - wouldn't mind doing that!

• Snap: You will get around a 1/2 IM fine ( their far easier than marathons)but be prepared to  fade on the run.

LMH: Consulting for my present employers so basically self employed! 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

birkmyre these lyrics sum me up in one! But I do not know the song...

welcome to CHris!

yes lmh when is HIM, I am doing a sprint in September or at least I hope so

wow dd you are coming back!

second time this year I dnf'd last night, to be fair Ishould not have started. Right calf got tighter and tighter with each step so I had to drop out and run back to the club

so

what: gym and swim later - and some ice

why: right calf

last hard: last night

last easy: nothing this year has been I dont think!

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    lovely thread yesterday with the memories, comments and so on.
    Have to say I've never tried the 110hurdles, just look too intimidating, besides the dont have taht event in the vets league (not enough St Johns available I suspect) I will have to make do with the steeplechase
    what - hopefully club run (if i get home in time) otherwise 6 from home
    why - its thursday
    lyric - think so, but still pondering

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Sorry to hear about last night, Wabo:  ice on the hour every hour!

Dustin: I now have visions of some very high hurdles and some little old men with lots of St. John's people looking on!

What: marshalling at fourth and last 5k of the club series.
    Why: its what I seem to do/meeting up with doc

Tonights' race is an Olympic special. Press release lists the following: Ron Hill, Geoff Norman, Michelle Scutt, Susan Crehan, Diane Modahl, Ann Griffiths, David Grindley, Helen Clitheroe, Sarah Storey, Ben Storey, Audley Harrison and Brian Whittle.

About to email phys to discuss calf/Achilles.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • What: Run with JS group with bit extra before (if finished work in time)
    Why: it's Thursday (JS night) & on call weekend (no opportunity for long run)
    Last Hard: 21 on Tuesday
    Last Rest: Yesterday

Misty again after sun came out briefly for those on Wideford Hill race last evening.
    Legs are fine after Tuesday but I catnapped yesterday at 17:30 before going out then took an early night and slept well

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Feeling a bit out of sorts this morning...easy recovery run is on the cards. I'm planning my debut visit to proposed new club tonight so hopefully will company on a run for first time since 2006. That was the time I visited Barnsley and did a run with its favourite son.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Tom:  And there was I thinking Dickie Bird was a cricket umpire. Didn't realise he ran as well. Enjoy tonight!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

So, midweek racing. Is that common?

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Lots of midweek racing around here whilst the evening light allows...which unfortunately won't be for much longer!

• OK Ok Ok so welcome to the new faces - a lot of action yesterday!!!

Well, still not running, nearly 2 weeks now. Next weeks Tri is looking dodgy - and me all lined up with new wetsuit and trisuit. Still, i have an emergency request into the rubber - hopefully he'll be able to oblige!

Doing some good swimming and cycling but neeeeeeed to run!!!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Meant to say I know the lyrics: in fact when my car was written off 2 years ago I left the Greatest Hits Album in the CD player. On one of the most bizarre evenings of my life I went to a party at the lead singer's flat in February 1973 having run in the Hyde Park relays in the afternoon and tried to drink London dry shortly afterwards.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

loved the posts last night guys, very useful stuff from Tom

Alehouse, I cant ice now because I am at work and its very difficult! I did ice last night as soon as I got home. I have realised it is the same injury I had in April which made me pull up in a race.  I am pretty sure now that my lack of sports massage over the last year or so has not helped me.  That said I will be having a massacre on Sunday!

Meanwhile stretch and ice (when I can) and no running!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Hello,

Busy on here again today.  Managed a swim last night, outdoor 50m pool, lovely image  Seems to be the day to try new running clubs.  Think I'll try the Sweatshop run eqivilant tonight, but it's apparently a 1.5 hour 10 km, which is a) very slow and b) much further than I've run since being injured, so not sure what to do!  Of course it is likely to be neither 1.5 hours, or 10 km!  Also found 2 lacrosse clubs round here.  Haven't played for a few years, but I love it, so hopefully I'll be able to get back into it.

Wabo, be careful image

Paddy good luck with the rubber

tom Get better soon.

Have a good one all.

• Colleague has just said she could cover on Sunday morning
    so I could do the Kirkwall HM. image
    May now just do the JS group run without extras this eveningimage

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

welcome oh

thanks emzap, will do

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Good to see the thread has been lively over the last couple of days... harking back to the good old days with 60-80 posts a day with BR / Hilly / Pantman FL etal..... Bring it back...

Thanks Tom and Ale for you input yesterday, just spent 10 mins reading back, great reading

Last day in Nottingham today.... will hopefully get out for a run later after the  drive home

Take care

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Ran 7.5 k yesterday in 27 minutes. Took me 55 mins to do 9 today. Couple of guys have come into the office sporting bugs and flu-like viruses, one of which I seem to have picked up, if the shooting pains in my back and legs are anything to go by! I wish they'd stay at home when ill.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

tbh, I ran the outlap and pretty much walked the in lap.

• Great news OH!

snap - as DD said with that sort of training background, easily.

Wabo - it's the 2nd September, a late decision after losing most of the season.

Exciting times DD.

Hope the rubber man can stick some needles in you soon Paddy.

Alehouse - hope you get some positive news too.

Chris - how far is the Men's Health run?

emzap - the outdoor 50m pools on the continent are great aren't they? I really enjoyed the one in Denmark though getting to and from the changing rooms was a tad chilly when we went in June.

46 miles on the bike for me this morning, would have been a few more but my poor swim coach bonked badly and I had to tow him home slowly. Lots of packing and faffing now then we start to make our way towards Orkney this evening eventually arriving on Saturday afternoon all being well.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

LMH and Alehouse, thanks for the encouragement.

I entered the Men's Health Survival thingummy as part of a team of 10 from my company. I think it's October or November time and from memory it's 10 km around Battersea with lots of obstacles. Tbh, not my bag but should be good fun anyway. I'd forgotten about it until I saw your post.

• Little M.iss Happy - It's about 8mile in total I think. But various obstacles in the way of that 8 mile plus a little swim too!! Should be good, but want to be as fit as poss and really blast it out!!

• Snap! - This one's in Nottingham, looks ok. Well worth a shot anyway. Not really something I'd go for, but good for some competition!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I get obsessed with running up really steep hills. No run is complete without them. So this will make a nice change.

CG, Your's is October, mine's November. I'll be interested to hear how you get on. In fact, I'm guessing there'll be an Event thread somewhere.

but i was running through some woodland earlier this week and had to bend to get uinder a fallen tree trunk - I'm really not as flexible as I used to be. I can feel some yoga coming on!