Marathon Des Sables 2013

Hi all, I am based in London and have a place in the 2013 Marathon Des Sables. Given that my long distance runs are going to start round about now it would be good to get a contingent of people either doing the same event or just general ultra-runners interested in running around London.

Inspired by the Olympics I am off for a long run on this Sunny Sunday afternoon - wish me luck!

Lauren

Comments

• DazzaLDazzaL ✭✭✭

Good luck Lauren, I'd suggest wearing a fleece, tracksuits, gloves and beanie to get used to the heat!

A mate ran MdS this year and he loved it and a club mate is running 2014.

• Good luck Lauren, I am entered into the 2014 race. I am midlands based, not sure about 2013 but the 2014 FB page has lots of London runners. If you find yourself anywhere near the Peak District there are a couple of 2014 runners who have met for training runs and have new dates penciled in. 

• Out of interest, and excluding the fast people at the front, does the 'average' runner in MdS actually run it...  or is it a case of a long walk in the desert and survival any way you can..?

• Like any ultra DV I think there are sections in each stage that are for running and others that dictate walking the ratio will come down to your fitness and ambition I guess. Whilst nowhere near fast and extremely unlikely to be anywhere near the front I plan to run as much as I can.

• What's your thoughts on trying to acclimitise to the temperature and also for foot protection/preparation..?  Obviously I'm thinking ahead to Badwater........

• I think acclimatisation is a no brainer if you can afford the time i.e. get out there a week before the race. Not sure that anything that can be done here in sauna's heat chambers etc will prove useful. 

That is not to say running in heat to understand how you feel, your sweat rate what you like to drink and eat in thos conditions is not worthwhile, I see that as essential research, just not convinced anything other than being in the heat for a week really acclimatises you.

Foot wise I don't believe in the white spirit 'toughen em up' approach care and moisturise is the way for me the more supple they are the better they will cope in my opinion.

Hopefully see you at Badwater (he says quitely praying MRS S isn't listening) if you get there before me and need a pacer / crew i'm in!!!!!

• okey dokey...  I've already been on the Badwater forum and volunteered to crew next year...  obviously too early yet, but at least I'm there and someone might see my message...    I'm hoping to apply/do it in 2015.   I think it'll take me until then to build up a CV worthy enough for consideration..  also, that'll be my 50th birthday and it'll be a present to myself....   (hopefully Mrs DV doesn't read this!)

• 2015 is my goal too! Best of luck to us both hopefully we can share some miles not divorce lawyers!!!
  • Hi

I ran it last year and recorded all thoughts rambling around in my head here www.justajog.com

I loved it but it's bloody hard. I would advise lots of hill walking with a heavy backpack and build up slowly to run back to back heavy miles. 

I was a slow shuffler. My mara pb is 3:38 but the mara day on MDS took me around 7 hours so you can see the differences!!

• ALISTAIR STEWART 4 wrote (see)

Good luck Lauren, I am entered into the 2014 race. I am midlands based, not sure about 2013 but the 2014 FB page has lots of London runners. If you find yourself anywhere near the Peak District there are a couple of 2014 runners who have met for training runs and have new dates penciled in. 

i'm in for the 2014 event aswell, i live in the midlands too with my running partner. running it as a team...se you there mate image 

• Lauren - are you a member of Lia Ditton's group for 2013 UK runners?

Since about a month or so ago there is a group meets on Sunday mornings at 8.30 in Richmond park. The faces and numbers vary by week. We communicate via Lia's FB group.

Hope that helps. Might even see you in the park...

• nomd pete - more 'midlanders' awesome, if you want to catch a training run anytime, give me a shout, hit the Peak District from time to time, found in Sherwood Forest or Cumber Park almost everyweekend.

Not sure, I cold run as a team, hard enough looking after myself without thinkng f others!

• Hi, ive been trying to enter the 2014 MDS but finding it difficult to get access or info from the official web site. Has anyone any ideas to help me as I don't want to miss it.

Thanks

Audra
  • Audra, the 2014 places filled in 11 minutes back in June - you maybe able to get a charity place else your looking at 2015 now.

• Four weeks left, how's the training going for everyone?

• Was hoping to do this before I'm 50 only got a couple of years left!!

I was offered a place in 2013 but my husband doesn't like the idea so will need a year to work on him!!

Good luck everyone

Hopefully there next year
  • Lauren , How did you get on ?

• Thought you might like to read two articles about the MdS.  The first is the participants perspective and the second is the perspective of their coach.

The participants were first timers and were novice runners, twelve months before the 2013 edition.  They both finished in a respectable time.