Saturday 18th August 2012

Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
Lyric: I felt so good like anything was possible I hit cruise control and rubbed my eyes... What: easy Why: because it's a weekend. Love life.

Comments

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    My iPad was saying 00:00 but I still had to cover my eyes... Thought I'd gone too early!
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Bugger...you beat me to it.

I had killer lyrics from a song that's never been heard, by a band that no-one had ever heard of. Anyway here they are, just to strike a melancholy chord ...."all my heroes are either gone, dead or forgotten".

Moving on....your lyrics yes!
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Tom, you took it so well. They are indeed killer lyrics. But TP is a god, of sorts.

Anyway, I was overpowered by at least two burly bottles of red wine and they gave me no choice but to declare that I WILL BE FREE OF THE BOTTLE... for at least 10 minutes.
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    And 'Bugger indeed.'
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!
    Lyrics, feel I should (but certainly wouldn't have got Tom's, although I am in tune with the sentiment, particularly when I post my list of femal runners!!)

What: may help at a parkrun

In no particular order, and for starters, Sheila Carey, Rita Ridley, Rosemary Wright, Lesley Watson, Hillary Hollick, Mary Stewart (and 2 brothers and another 2 male Stewarts!), Chris Boxer, Chris McMeekin, Kath Binns (former training partner who I nearly fogot!), Angela Creamer, Jane and Teena Colebroo, Gill Dainty, Jill Hunter, Tooby sisters and I guess there were lots more! Gave myself two minutes to come up with as many names as I could! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Snap: I've got a couple of his albums AND I can play the chords to Learning To Fly.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well I know the artist, but not the song! He features in one of my favourite bands, T.Ws.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Who I saw playing in a small Hampshire village called Alresford. Many moons ago, a mex restaurant which they owned. Must have been a precursor to 'hard rock cafes'
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - very impressive, kicking myself re Rosemary Wright, Sheila Carey, Mary Stewart and Christine Boxer.

My brain is currently failing me...off to bed.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Also a fan of the TWs, the song "Your Not alone Anymore" featuring Roy Orbison is classic.
  • Alehouse - you really know your old runners male and female!

Rosemary Wright married to Trevor Wright - live in NZ now, or they did last time I heard of them. One of their daughters was a very good runner too.

I met Lesley Watson at the Tokyo women's marathon, 1982 I think it was. I had a bad run, but she ran well.

Tom - glad to see you back running well.

What: Easy hour with Mae and son in law, on the flat - in the bush. Nice run.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Hi guys - blimey, this is a night owl thread!

Sorry for going a bit AWOL. Bogged down at work but now I have THREE WEEKS off imageimage

We are off on a week-long cycling trip today, so I shall be AWOL again but deffo back next Sunday.

Haven't been able to read back but how lovely to see NZC back with us. And Tom seems to be posting more regularly too.

Hiya, Snap.

Lurrrrve them lyrics!!!

Off to squeeze a 22 miler in before we start our mini-adventure. Needs must.

Run well, all and enjoy the weekend.

• morning

NZC nice to see you back on here.

What: 14.5 miles trotted out in the early morning heat and humidity, i had a torrid time of it out there today.
    Why: Its Saturday
    Last Hard: Today, way too hot
    Last Rest: 3rd August 

• Morning just back from walking Geordie

Dreich with smiry rain.

What:Will run later.

Why: Our washing basket is full to over flowing.

Busiest DT thread for this time of day ever ? Nice to seeimage

Catch up on this thread now over coffee...

Back later.

• LMH: 'Heavy rain on the drive from Carlisle to Inverness ' Yup welcome to Scotlandimage

NZC: Nice to have you back again.

• Tom and Ale: I'll throw in a few Scots from the late 70s/80s athletics when I started. Lachie Stewart. 1970 Commonwealth games 10,000m Winner. Complete Legend. I trained with him a few times back 1984-88 and he was a really nice unassuming guy, My old man thought I'd 'made it in athletics' when I casually threw in 'I'd been training with Lachie...' He'd just join in our sessions and talk away.

Allister Hutton,Nat Muir ( I was coached by his coach for a couple of seasons before injury hit me late 1980s) Graham Williamson, John Robson, Frank Clement, Anne Purvis, Tom McKean, Fraser Clyne, Yvonne Murray, Liz Lynch (McColgan), Lynn McDougall

• Morning.

No rain here but I could barely see 75m in front along the canal. Lovely morning for a run. Very excited about heading to Orkney after breakfast.

snap - that was close image

chickadeee - enjoy the cycling trip.

Alehouse - you mean the sweeper? image

Hi NZC!

What:            30 minute easy run.
    Why:             shame not to!
    Last hard:      20/7
    Last rest:       11/8

Lyrics - in the CD player in the car!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again! Jim Brown and Laurie Reilly were two very good Scottish runners who were contemporaries of mine. When I ran my best 5000 they both nearly lapped me!

Off to help at parkrun shortly.
  • alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Not been on for 2 weeks-ish as I was in Cornwall with no internet and no 3g phone signal for the first week and have been on the injured list this week. Had an incident last Saturday involving a floating pontoon and deciding to see how far into the sea I could bounce off the end! Cue a trip to A&E on Monday as any movement was extremely painful. X-Rays show nothing broken, thankfully. Still in a bit of pain now and restricted movement but it is gradually easing. Doubt there will be much running for the next week or so, but hopefully going to swim again next week.

Good to see some new and old faces...time to go catch up!

What: Nowt
    Why: On the shelf
    Last hard: Edge of the wooden pontoon
    Last rest: All week

TTFN

• Morning ale and alex

ale: Lawrie Spence and his brother Cammy were two other good Scottish atheletes of that era.

John Graham (who was then based in Birmingham) was a fantastic Scottish marathoner. He won Rotterdam Marathon in 1981 when ran an amazing 2:09.28 The WR was in low 2:08s .Then he was an agonising 4th in both 1982 and 1986 Commonwealth Games Marathons.

• http://www.ardbruach.org.uk/John%20Graham.htm

Here's John Grahams profile.

This is a great Scottish historic athletics site.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Had forgotten John Graham, but not the rest of the Birmingham contingent including Andy Holden (still see his sons around, and his sister fancied me!!), Ian Gilmour and Ray Smedley. There was an even stroger Bristol group led by Nick Rose including Staynings, Hartell and when my brain wakes up I may remember the rest!

• On 2nd page by 08:44 on a Saturday!

What: quick (OW) swim if work allows
    Why: On call. HM tomorrow
    Last Hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: yesterday

Lovely morning - light mist with sun peeping through. No wind.
    Expecting LM.H later today

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse and Birkmyre: I was at Birmingham Univ at the same as Andy Holden, Malcolm Thomas, Roger Brown and Pete Griffiths. Malcolm Thomas was the hardest training runner I ever met. Holden was the slowest running trainer....he never ran quickly when in a group, no doubt his "sessions" were pretty fearsome. These guys were in a different league to the rest of us club runners.

I also used to run with one of Hilly's old teachers (Dave Hopkins)! That was when I was a member of Newport Harriers as was my previously mentioned Jon Robertshaw, who was also a teacher. The other Newport star of those days was Robert Sercombe who represented Wales in the Commonwealth Games marathon. However our most famous member (slightly after my time) was the legendary Steve Jones.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Meant to say that yesterday's lyrics were "Let's Stick Together", Bryan Ferry (although I believe Dylan covered it!!).

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    What: 2 miles to beach, swim in the deep blue, 2 miles back.

Why: because I have a dreadful hangover

Do I feel any better? Will let you know...
  • Snap: Running with a hangover. Oh I remember those days.image I remember racing a 10k with a  really bad one and taking on water as much as I could image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Great Scottish website, Birks. Can't find my friend Lauire Reilly though: he ran for you lot (!) in the World Cross Country Champs a few times (highest was 33rd I think), won the World Student Games Cross Country, broke a world age group 10k record on the track (30 mins ish age 16), 28 something for 10k and 47 something for 10 miles! Most of his performances were south of the border with my club.

Another "Scottish" friend, by residence, was a guy called Paul Kenney who also ran in the world cross and won a couple of maras: used to train with him in my schooldays.

• Orkney's natural alternative to flumes - fast tidal flow under the bridge.

Great fun although it has to be said, not much exercise involved.

• ale:It is indeed mate, Tommy Murray was a cracking runner in mid -late 80s and 90s who I trained with.