Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 Trail Marathon

13»

Comments

• I'll go with 2 humps on the camel then!!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I couldn't figure out what was going on at the start of the ultra. I was looking at 8 min miles which would bring me in at about 4 hrs 10. I started off at that pace and was left for dead by about 20 people. I finished 4th in the end so it looks like quite a few went off too fast. I'm very glad they did.
  • i mean two   image

there was also a hen party at the race!!

• Anybody know if their were any officail race photos for this event. I know it said 'Seemeinaction' was doing it but when visiting their website it said they were no  longer doing sporting events? Thanks

• I can't remember seeing any photographers although I was concentrating more on not dying during the race instead of who was standing around!

Overall I enjoyed the event and I was considering bumping up from the 30k to the marathon (I'd only ever ran 14 miles max before but I love a challenge!) but as the course was pretty hilly (well... to a townie like me!) I'm glad I stuck with the shorter distance!  My only complaint is there were sometimes long gaps between water stops but that is understandable due to the number of different distances taking place at the same time.

My legs are just beginning to stop hurting too which is good... image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think the water stops are more regular on the Marathon / 50 k. I did the 30k last year and I remember a stretch where you go through fields at about 10-15 miles without anything. Not sure how they would get supplies there though.
  • there was a photographer at the finish , yep plenty of water stops on the 50 kimage

• Did anyone check the distance on their Garmin?

• Which company was the photographer from?

• 26.85 miles on my Polar for the marathon/42k.

The 25 miler marker was spot on too. Didn't see a 26 mile marker but that final bit was "long".

Really good event and an excellent route.

• 30km route showed up as 31.09km on my Timex Global Trainer and that extra km was hell - thinking I only had a couple of hundred metres to go and then wondering where on Earth the final was!

Felt better for it afterwards though - knowing I'd run just over 19 miles instead of just under as planned image

•  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

13.37 miles (21.5km)  for the 21k on my Garmin 205.
    13.29 for my wife.
    Luckily I have local knowledge - so no surprises on the route from the the cathedral to the finish, except being overtaken, which I was past caring about by then.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

I think the distance from the 25 mile marker to the end was longer than1.2 miles. I live locally and when I saw the 25 mile marker I was a bit suprised as I knew it was quite a bit further to the finish. As it`s not really PB course I wasn`t really that bothered if it was 1/2 a mile out or so. It was just a really enjoyable event

• The stuff I read about the race said distances would be roughly right as is usual on off road races. Who cares, it is a great route and a well organised race for a good cause. Loved every minute of it and plan to return, which is praise indeed as I came from Lancashire to run it.
  •  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

Photos (thx to Ludo for details) www.everystepphotos.com

• Click on ‘View your photos’
    • Click on ‘Events’
    • Click Salisbury 54321 ‘View Album’
    • Important: Click on ‘All photos’ which is a pull down menu and choose a time frame you wish to look through.
  • I am only interested in the distance - and ascent/descent - because I was so delighted to finish just outside the top third for the first time for a while - mainly due to Chirunning - that I would like to estimate my time for a flat 26.2 miles.

• Well done Mich good work and thanks very much

• Well I did the 3O K, Love it although i must confess found it hard going probably down to heat. Garmin said i did 20.33, however i did slightly get lost, due to sign being up higher up in the trees, and as i was focused straight ahead didnt look up, so think i did half mile more. As for the course a tough one, heat didnt help though, hills/inclines seems to go on forever, but loved the course, thought i was lost again at one point after the race course, no sign/arrow for ages, then i saw green arrow, i was a little relieved. Glorious scenery, well orgainsed Race. Maybe back next yr for Marathon image

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

I am running this years race and wondered if I needed to get any new footwear, i am running in road shoes currently  and do i need trail / road shoes ? also if my training is all road based will i suddenly have a massive shock having to run on trail???

• I did the 30k in road shoes last year and it was fine. Apart from about 1 km or rutted field it was even ground. It's a cracking event.

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Ah ok, my training is essentially marathon training, increasing mileage per week and long runs, hoping I'll be fit enough for this, had some weeks off recently from injury before the London marathon, but really keen to step up to my first ultra this year. will I need to use my hydration ruck sack, notice some runners don't, and don't want to stick out like a real ultra novice in all my gear, 'all the gear, no idea' type scenario! image any advice from people who have run it for a first timer would be greatly appreciated,

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If it's dry then road shoes will be fine as there are quite a few road sections and the off-road isn't that bad.

There are loads of water stops. I have done the 50k the last 2 years and just carried gels with me.

If you need any more advice just shout as I train on parts of the course all the time.
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Thanks Millsy, what's a sensible walk / run ratio for this, i am not sure I'll be capable of running the whole distance, longest runs are 20 and the marathon which my calf injury played up meaning I had to run/walk from mile 15 to the finish, so I am planning on maybe running 3 mikes walking 1 for this, time isn't an issue, I just want to finish within the cut off. Be good if I could do 6 ish hours. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Due to the nature of the course you may be better off running the flats and the downs and walking the hills. That should make it easier on your calves.

You have a few more weeks to work on fitness so you can make a better judgement a bit nearer the time.

My longest runs, both times, before the 50k were 24 miles. Basically a marathon plan with just the lady long run a couple of miles longer.