MCL injury - What type of brace/support do I need

Whenever I increase my training I damage my Medial Collateral ligament. Any idea what type of brace/support I should wear when running ie does it have to be a hinged type?

Comments

• you'd be better of strengthening the muscles that support the knee and ligament than using a brace or support which is only really giving you a psychological aid and not curing the problem.  have you checked with a physio??   leg raises in the gym are good for building knee strength

• Saw a physio last year who showed me how to manipulate the knee and rub to stretch the MCL.  Ive got flat feet so when I run I put a lot of strain on the MCL. But will think about building some strength in the knee area. I wonder if using an exercise bike on highest resistance would work?

As my knee is injured now I may just buy a neoprene cheap thing to aid recovery rather than waste money on a hinged one then.

• Mark Lemmer wrote (see)

I wonder if using an exercise bike on highest resistance would work?

As my knee is injured now I may just buy a neoprene cheap thing to aid recovery rather than waste money on a hinged one then.

no - not on highest resistance as that's likely to cause more damage than cure!!  you need to build the strength up slowly and progressively on either the bike or leg raise machine, or even the leg press when you get more confident and the ligament injury has healed,  perhaps you can aim at this leg press eventually - http://direct.coresites.mporatrons.com/rcuk_legacy/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/chris-hoy1.jpg   that's 631kg in total by the way - 5 times!!  image