Marathon du Medoc

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Bookie, I was the same... i'm getting married in May and wanted to check that he was ok with it on a "monetary" basis. It works out that he was planning on a weekend away anyway... and he doesnt mind France so it's ok from that perspective. He wouldnt join me on the route though.

As for the medical certificate - you can call up the doctors surgery - pay £15 and bob's your uncle. Most of the time they don't even want to examine you (in my experience). I've got a heart condition, asthma, had issues with my legs and they signed me off without seeing me.

Note: This could have just been my doctors surgery....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Bookie - sorry - just seen this - the form is available to download on the website.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Emmy_bug wrote (see)
    As for the medical certificate - you can call up the doctors surgery - pay £15 and bob's your uncle. Most of the time they don't even want to examine you (in my experience). I've got a heart condition, asthma, had issues with my legs and they signed me off without seeing me.

Note: This could have just been my doctors surgery....

My doctor wanted me to have a full medical, ECG, etc., (privately, natch, at a cost of about £200) before he would sign anything.  I declined,
  • Corky2Corky2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Wilkie and fat budda for all of the great information
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Thanks for all of the tips and advice.  

Cake is up for it, I don't mind a bit of calligraphy image and I think we can afford it image

My plan is to ponder it over the weekend, and enter next week if it still seems like a good idea. I can't possibly run the distance, but a run/walk/stop at the chateaus plan seems workable image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm the same bookie - think about it tonight and then maybe sign up tomorrow for indepedent accommodation. My colleague's on holiday and isnt too keen about giving me the keys to his chateau (I can't see why not... i'm very trustworthy with 1000litres of wine image)

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi everyone - just wanted to update you - i signed up! I'm just finalising my accommodation thanks to a french colleague who has ran it before so I just need to start my training plan.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Good idea!

Start with a Paulliac, then try a St Julien, then.... image

• I did it in 2010 and it is awesome fun.  Any London Marathon du Medocers out there see here  London Marathon du Medocers
  • Found you over here Emmy thanks. I've done a number of races in France - I always used to sign my own medical declaration and just hand it in to the pile as mentioned above.
    We'll be staying in Bordeaux and shuttle bussing, but we're flying in Friday and away on the Sunday, so the "extras" around Paulliac were never really an option, shame, but there you are.
    Anyone thought about fancy dress yet?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Tude,

Welcome to the thread - I've managed to find a little Gite through a colleague and that's roughly 20km from Pauilliac. I'm still trying to work out my medical certificate - did the french organisers not notice?

I'm thinking of fancy dress but can't work out what to wear....  I was thinking of a Toga... or asterix.

• 20km away sounds handy - near enough to get in and out.
    For the cert:
    As Fat Buddha says, it's just about having themselves covered under French Racing rules. I made my own up in English with a French translation underneath and printed a name, to which I added a signature.
    Most serious runners in France have a competition licence, which they need to update every year with a proof of medical check-up. Far easier for the race authorities. They can't really check all the overseas versions that they will get for individual races.
    I lived over there for a couple of years and did about 10 races, and in all of them, I had no problems with handing over a cert on the day. Sometimes they just looked at them, sometimes they kept a copy. This may be slightly different with the cert needed in advance, but I think they are highly unlikely to ring your gp to check.
    Fancy dress thoughts at the moment are along the lines of Robin Hood (coming from Nottingham). Is a full length toga not going to slow you down?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Tude,

Yeah, I was very lucky to have found it - I just need to pay a deposit and then I'm sorted! Don't you need to have a stamp or something similar? (could you send me an example)? I've downloaded the one from their website and it says Doctor stamp required - but if you say that they don't look for it - then i'm not too worried about it.

Robin Hood sounds like a GREAT idea! I was thinking of a shorter toga - something like this:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/334358/Gallery/60-83068.jpg

Add in a pair of shorts underneath and it should be relatively "cool" and non interfering.

(@Bookie - if you're still interested - there's a bedroom available for 2 people).

• Seems to have gone very quiet over here since you posted that photo.
    Did 13m on the treadmill today watching the London marathon. Remembering just how far 26 miles is now. Still really looking forward to it - training plan kicks in next month, but trying to work out how seriously to train. Is speedwork wasted when it's just about finishing? Just going to make sure I keep the distances up. Has anyone else out there signed up for this?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

How is everyone getting on? Do we have any other takers for the marathon?

Have you started your training plan Tude?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I've heard from a friend/running grapevine that all medical certificates and registration documents need to be submitted by 30th June. I've tried contacting the organisers but they're a little slow (maybe its because im emailing in English!).

How is everyone doing?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, Did everyone get their final confirmation email through in the last few days? Are we all ready?

I was going to ask - is anyone else going in Fancy dress? How are you planning to test our your outfit beforehand? I can imagine getting some really funny looks if i'm running around my local town in fancy dress.

• Hi Guys, We are a group of 15 running again, last year was great fun. Also thinking of togas but as lightweight as possible. Thinking of making them out of a poly cotton.... does anyone have any thoughts on this or am I making a grave error?

We are planning a pre marathon pub run which might be a good opportunity to test out the outfits and prepare our livers.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

My Squeeze and I tested our costumes a couple of years ago (lion and lion-tamer, including top hat and whip) on a Sunday morning club run image

Having a group with you makes it less daunting and more fun.

Poly-cotton should be OK, make sure it's quite thin and the sweat dries out quickly.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Chris, I was thinking about polycotton too. I'm going to be a gladiator so I'll just wear a pair of shorts, sports bra and then the outfit over the top.

@Wilkie- i'd love to be able to use it on a club run but I'm always running on my own...

• Thank you, yes will go as light as possible! Good luck with the preparations

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone fancy meeting up on the day/day after for a drink or something like that? I'm not sure we'll see each other on the course but if anyone is interested - let me know image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Wilkie - how long did your run last on your club run? I'm trying to work out a 'decent' distance without cutting it short. I'm a little worried of being shipped to the loony bin if i go running around dressed like a gladiator in my local town!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Good morning everyone, How is everyone else's preparations going?

I'm heading out tomorrow to test out the outfit for Medoc. When is everyone arriving in Bordeaux region? Friday or earlier?

• Apologies not to reply since June Emmy - not been on the site for a while. Managed to follow most of my training plan, but a little under on the wine consumption. Mileage is fine and I've set a string of PBs in the last few months, but feeling quite broken now and will be glad to drop back to a more normal 20 miles a week. Costumes made and look great for the 4 of us (and I'm not just saying it 'cos my wife reads this). Tried them on yesterday - some issues with the belt sizing and undue opptimism on the part of one of us (Ken, you know who you are). No intention of running in them before the day - want them to smell fresh, and not sure they'll survive a machine wash.

Due to fly from Luton on Friday at 6am. Staying in Bordeaux Fri & Sat nights, more than that is not yet planned!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hiya Tude,

No problem. I ran on saturday in my outfit and despite some dodgy looks was really happy with it. We're arriving friday afternoon and planning to absorb the atmosphere in Pauillac before hitting the sack early on. I'm going to be taking my camera with me to capture the course. What is your outfit or is it a surprise?

• Robin Hood, complete with bow and arrows (looking forward to the X-ray with Easy jet).

There should be 4 of us, wearing t-shirts of green, red, orange and a blue dress like thing for maid Marrion.

NAmes are sewn on the back - look out for "Robin Alex". Race no 9581.

Lengthy discussions about the weather and just how slow to go - looking very warm out there.

Will look out for you, but I suspect there'll be a few gladiators out there! Good luck.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone. I'll be signing off after today. If anyone is on the route and seeing a redheaded girl dressed like below:

/members/images/334358/Gallery/gladiator_0.jpg

give me a shout. I'll be heading out slow and taking LOTS of pictures along the route!

Good luck everyone!

• Emmy_bug wrote (see)

@Wilkie - how long did your run last on your club run? I'm trying to work out a 'decent' distance without cutting it short. I'm a little worried of being shipped to the loony bin if i go running around dressed like a gladiator in my local town!

I can't remember now.  Probably not very far - five or six miles! 

I was prepared to ditch the jacket if it got too hot, or started to rub, and the hat and whip too if they got annoying.  I had a black vest underneath, with gold braid lines across the front. 

Go for your test run in the dark, perhaps?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Wilkie, I ended up running 10 miles last weekend around my local town. I only got a few comments and beeps but some runners burst out laughing so it wasnt too bad!