A lurker's first post

Hi all,

I've been lurking on here for a while, so I thought I'd post a first message to say hi!

I've been running since about 2005 and have completed a few halfs and 10K's, and just the one marathon (London, in 2010 which was great but a real struggle!).  I'm definitely more of a recreational runner (i.e., I think that if I run more and maintain a reasonable weight, I can then eat more!  I know that isn't the right attitudeimage), but I am always looking to try improve, especially my half time.  My PB at that distance is 1hr55min, but I'm trying to get down to 1hr45min, so we'll see how that goes.

I have a 10k on the weekend.  Current PB is just under 51mins, and I'm hoping to get under 50mins but we'll see.  The training was going well, but a holiday got in the way of the training image  I'm back to it now, but I'm surprised what fitness I seem to have lost after only 2 weeks off.

I do enter the London Marathon every year, but am never particularly disappointed when I don't get a place image 

I'm not a member of a running club, but I always seem to be umming and ahhing about joining my local one, but never actually do.  I'm also more of a "fair weather" runner, and have been known to "chicken out" of a training run and nip to the gym instead!

My main concern is always the health of my back.  I did it about 18 months ago and don't want to go through that again, so I always try and warm up and down properly and try and do plenty of stretching too.

Anyway, that's about it. 

Cheers,

G

Comments

• Hi Big_G! I like your attitude to running - sounds to me like you enjoy it! I'm pretty similar, I like to see improvements but not entirely at the expense of enjoying the rest of my life! Likewise I don't see me ever being at the front of a race but it's more fun in the middle, don't you think?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Dancing in spikes - thanks!

Hi Peter.  Yes, running along in the middle is fine for me and I recognise I'm not going to be a front runner.  I do remember my first half that was run on a fully traffic free course.  I think there were about 2000 runners and I was roughly in the middle somewhere.  Because it was traffic free, I could hear all the other runners around me (their footfall, breathing, a couple of people chatting etc) in the otherwise quiet surroundings.  For some reason that has stuck with me, and I enjoy that "environment" even now, particularly on a traffic free course where there are no other normal traffic noises.

I've seen the London marathon a couple of times, and went to see the Olympic women's marathon and Olympic men's triathlon and the elite runners are always awe-inspiring to me.  The way they just look so effortless, their action, speed etc etc are always great to see.

I also find that occasionally going out without the Garmin and just running for enjoyment, and not being worried about time etc really helps me.