Kennet and Avon Canal Ultra 56 miles

LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭
Still toying with the idea of entering this one. Thinking I could use it as a LSR for the Snowdonia Marathon. Anybody else signed up? Done a few hot hilly races over the last couple of weeks, I don't really fancy another one, so any locals know how much potential shade there is on the course? I know it'll be flat but ran the BBCHM in 2011 (which I imagine to be a similar type of course) in blazing sunshine and didn't enjoy it as there was limited shade so want to know what it will potentially be like before I part with my cash!!!

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I ran from Bristol to Reading along the River Avon and then the Kennet & Avon in December and ran the bit from Bristol to Bradford-on-Avon again in March as a LSR for London.  The towpath is obviously pretty flat (although there is a short steep climb as the canal leaves Bath and again at Devizes).  There are places where the towpath was pretty muddy because it gets used by cyclists quite a lot and my pace slowed quite badly.  It was also tough on the achilles tendons!  It's a beautiful route, though, so I'd recommend it.

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Thanks Joolska, thats what I kind of expected in terms of terrain.  Just looking for a few long races to break up the training a bit, just not sure if £30 is reasonable for what you get, may keep looking....

• This event might break up the training a bit more than you would care for. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Yes, should add that I presume you're planning on doing the shorter option to Devizes rather than running to Newbury, as 56M is not marathon-specific training!

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Correct, was planning on only doing the 21miler as a change of scenery for my LSR.