Plantar Fastitis

Has anybody else had this, if so what treatment did you get and how long did it take to go?

Comments

• Check this out on the US site runnersworld.com

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/vibrams-plantar-fasciitis

I have responded and am the last post in the thread.

• you don't need to go to the US site - there's a very long standing thread around these parts with lots of advice and suggestions.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/plantar-facilitis-what-now/41926-181.html

I've been suffering PF since January and it's not sorted yet. every time I think it's fine, I run and it's back again. I've been doing exercises, wearing a night splint, using orthotics, seen a sports medic etc and it's still there.   I might resort to trying a cortisone injection if it carries on.

I've recently bought some Vivobarefoot off road shoes with a view of moving towards becoming a mid/forefoot striker (I'm a lifelong heelstriker) and see how that goes.

that's PF for you - once it starts it's a bugger to get rid of so, AS,  make sure it is PF first and then get the right treatment.  and try to be patient during recovery as it will take a time.

• uknick

That was a briliant read, but unfortunatley barefoot running is out for me as I have one leg shorter than the other due to a rugby incident that broke my leg. I have corrective orthotics and I know I left it to long before changing my trainers which is why it happened, it is a relief to know that it isn't permanent and I seem to have been doing the correct things in stretching, building back up my runs and weights as well. 

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Rest.  I had it a couple of years ago.  I have it again now. and it´s hard to get rid of.  I have read that you should always wear supportive shoes.  My job didn´t help as I was stood up 12-15hrs a day in poor footwear.  Hoping to cure it by the end of summer.  I have a night splint sock which may work.  My wife only recently told me that she knew when I wasn´t"up for it" as the sock would be on straight away!

• Hi Adrian,

My first question is how do you know it is Plantar Fasciitis? (How has it been diagnosed?) What are your presentation of symptoms?

Cheers,

Ablefeet image

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    I've recently bought some Vivobarefoot off road shoes with a view of moving towards becoming a mid/forefoot striker (I'm a lifelong heelstriker) and see how that goes.

FB, you'll probably find that helps. barefoot running will strengthen foot and arch muscles

• Max's Mum wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

FB, you'll probably find that helps. barefoot running will strengthen foot and arch muscles

If it is truly plantar fasciitis, why on earth would you want to put this structure under increased stress when the site is already inflammed, therefore only exacerbating the problem even further!

I'm not about to start bashing barefoot/minimalist running as strengthening the plantar structures (lumbricals, interossei, FHL, FDL, ADM and plantar fascia) as part of a balanced training programme is well documented as being a key part of any training programme.  But it is not the way to go if you truly have plantar fasciitis.

Cheers,

Ablefeet image

• RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭

Learn to tape your foot for when you run.  Ask a physio to show you how, or alternatively go to You tube which has some good examples if you search under taping for heel pain or plantar fasciitis. Also, Boots sell a pediroller for £4.99 which is good - you can put it in the freezer and roll along the entire foot for say 2 mins every morning/evening. PF is hard to get rid off and may have different causes - tight calf muscles are not the only possible reason. Ankle instability is another as this can put more stress on the fascia. High arches or flat feet may also be contributing factors. (tape supplier below - I use non elastic, zinc oxide tape) 

http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/cid/DRNSJ9KLT19DS185YS886HRL528AFR3Z/Tape-and-Strapping-CSTRAPING/

• " But it is not the way to go if you truly have plantar fasciitis."

my PF has been diagnosed by a sports medic (he's Medic in Chief of the GB Paralympics medical team) backed up by ultasound and MRI diagnosis.  I'm a runner of many years standing and until this year have never suffered it - my muscles, ligaments, arches etc are fine having been used to running for many years,over many distances, road and off-road.  I'm a natural heelstriker and my shoes have been the same for years.   if my plantar had been under any additional stesses, it would have shown up ages ago.

I have no idea why my PF started, but it's proving reslient to cure using conservatve methods such as stretching, orthotics, night splint etc.  I have discussed cortisone injections with the medic but neither of us are convinced  - might work/might not/might cause more problems etc - but I will touch base with him when the Paralympics are over on this subject again.  the same goes for taping - I have very strong leg, ankle and foot muscles/tendons/ligaments from years of sport and running so nothing needs additional support. 

for me, moving to a more forefoot/midfoot strike is something to try as a help/cure as keeping the load off the heel when running makes some scientific sense.  whether it will help, time will tell; whether I can adapt to it, again time will tell.

but I'm at the stage where the PF is holding me back from even attempting to run, let alone compete even over short distances, so please don't diss my effort of trying an "alternative" solution to find a cure.

• RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭

As you age pf may lose some of its natural flexibility. I too have run for many years and developed this without warning.  I went over my ankle badly two years back and this may have overstretched the ligaments  and allowed instability to creep in. I don't land on my heel at all when I run by the way so idea that moving away from heel strike is the solution may be flawed. I do have high arches and since developing pf my right foot is reluctant to roll in properly. On injections, I had one which was very painful and doctor wouldn't repeat although he did think it had helped.

• RMcD - I appreciate age is a factor - and certainly the way that my body is reacting to everyday life it's telling me that! (I'm 59 btw).  but I have no instabilities around the foot or ankle - in fact I'm amazingly robust there.   and I'm sure that PF isn't purely restricted to heelstrikers although one of it's other names is policeman's heel as old style beat coppers were prone to it due to time spent on their feet walking - and who walks naturally without a heelstrike ??  so yes, a forefoot strike may be a flawed answer but it's got to be worth a try.

luckily I can still stay fit by cycling, swimming and rowing but that's no substitute for running which, as a triathlete and runner, I need to do!

• Hi,

Fat Buddha, obviously it's totally up to you how you want to treat your PF, if it's been resistant to standard treatment why not try something different? I have heard some people recommend barefoot running for PF. The hope being that by reducing stride length, increasing cadence and altering foot strike there is less load on the fascia. That said I do think Ablefeet has a good point. Many of my patients with PF can't walk barefoot without pain so I think running barefoot might be a bit much.

One assumption I would question a little though is, "nothing needs additional support". It's generally accepted that PF in running is an overload condition. It's thought to be a similar process to tendinopathy. Over time the structure of the fascia changes so it is less efficient and dealing with load and you develop pain. At this stage it usually needs more support and less loading - this is where tape, orthotics etc might help. You may be strong in the muscles around the foot but that doesn't mean your fascia is great at handling load.

I've written a piece on PF;

http://www.running-physio.com/plantarfasciitis/

Includes details on tape etc.

Hope it's helpful. Have just used the taping technique on there to get a runner with PF through a 50 mile ultra - worked really well.

Tom
  • Definately recommend taping to support,  worked for me, had PF for 3 months. After once false dawn I used tape for 2 weeks and then every time  I ran for the next month with no reoccurrence.

• Barry, when you say you used tape for 2 weeks do you mean whilst resting or continuing to run?
  • AbleFeet.

My symptoms are I have pain down the outside of my right foot that is extremely painful first thing but gets easier as I walk on it, if I rest for a period it comes back. Running is OK and since I have the new trainers it seems to be getting a lot better

• TG - thanks for the link.  I'm not resistant to taping but I guess it's something that's not really crossed my mind that I might need some more support in addition to what else I'm doing - I have orthotics in my usual run shoes (Asics Nimbus).  out of interest what is that tape you're using as it looks different to standard zinc oxide tape for starters - kinesio tape??

I competed in a spring tri on Sunday - 5k run on tarmac/concrete - but stuck with my standard race shoes for this (Asics DS trainer).  that was my 1st run for about 3 weeks so I had some trepidation as to how it would go.  however, I deliberately went more towards a midfood/forefoot strike with the run and seem to have come out OK.  the PF did flare up later in the day but the use of the splint overnight reduced the worst of it.

I've not gone with the barefoot shoes yet - I'm waiting to get onto some softer surfaces first to try and haven't had the chance to do so yet - but based on Sunday's result then perhaps it is a way forward.

• Wonder Woman -  Taped for 2 weeks while not running, taping supports the arch and stops the PF flexing allowing it to heal, then continued to tape when running.

• I had PF in my left foot for 18months + and tried absolutely everything (wouldn't dare to try and add up the money I've spentimage) I think the thing that helped most was trigger point therapy on the calfs. I've also gone the with the slightly more minimal route and walk around barefoot at home if I can. This all helped and yet I now have PF in my right foot. It is self limiting and will go eventually, but can take 18 - 24 months. I was able to run last time tho this time I am having a bit more pain whilst I'm actually running. The one thing I've learnt is that treatment for everyone is different so just keep trying everything.

• Hey Fat Buddha, I use kinesiology tape. It's supportive enough for the plantar fascia but doesn't restrict movement like zinc oxide can. Have had excellent results with it.
  • thanks Tom - I'll get hold of some and give it a whirl.  in for a penny and all that!  I have another tri on 8th Sep woth a 10k run so that's going to put more load onto my foot so trying to go forefoot for the whole distance might not be doable and the taping may help as well.  I might also revert to my Numbus for that as they have the orthotics in whereas the DS trainers don't.

I have Brighton Marathon planned for next year to celebrate the big 60th so I do need to try to get the PF resolved ready for training for that

• Adrian Stillwell wrote (see)

AbleFeet.

My symptoms are I have pain down the outside of my right foot that is extremely painful first thing but gets easier as I walk on it, if I rest for a period it comes back. Running is OK and since I have the new trainers it seems to be getting a lot better

Adrian,

You mentioned before that you spent too long in changing your trainers.  What were you using befoe and what are you using now?  Also, you've been prescribed orthotics - for what?  What treaments have you trialled - and what has helped and what hasn't? What sort of training programme are you doing? Have you recently changed distance / terrain / frequency? When you get the pain, what does it feel like? (eg aching, bruised, sharp, stabbing, tingling, pins/needles, numbness......)

That'll do for now.

Ablefeet image

• fat buddha wrote (see)

" But it is not the way to go if you truly have plantar fasciitis."

FB,

If you bothered to read my original question it was asked directly to Adrian, and was not to 'diss' anyones attempts at an 'alternative' treatment. If you've tried everything and it's not worked, of course you're going to try any alternative to get rid of the pain (or god forbid that the original diagnosis may be incorrect and not be PF at all!)  If the only information the patient gives you at the initial consultation is "I get heel pain", this could be a myriad of problems, as well as plantar fasciitis.  I was purely trying to give an educated and experienced answer to the question.  And yes, I do believe that barefoot running is counter productive as a treatment modality for PF, in patients who have never been a barefoot runner (different for patients who already combine barefoot running as part of their training programme). 

Several people in this thread have mentioned all sorts of different things to try to address PF, and it sounds as though you've tried most, but don't be so confident to think that "I don't need that, I'm strong enough already".  Similar to what Tom discussed, I use kinesiology tape on several patients with PF and have had some great results.  I have tried several different companies but have found Rocktape H20 to work the best on the plantar fascia (I have absolutely no link to them whatsoever, I've just found they've given me the best results for my patients).  I found with this version of the tape they make it sticker that their normal tape, therefore allowing for better support of the PF with less likelihood of it coming apart (those sweaty feet can be a real issue!). This can work very well diagnostically, indicating that you may therefore benefit from some orthoses (semi bespoke or bespoke - a rant for another day....).  You said you had orthoses, but when were these prescribed for you and what were they originally prescribed for. If you had your orthoses prescribed years ago, but you've only had the PF since January, the orthoses potentially are no longer "doing their job" and may need to be altered.

You also mentioned cortisone injections. I've found some patients whom I've injected have had brilliant results, others a minimal benefit (and you can't keep injecting the patient as there's evidence to show that it can increase the chance of a rupture of the plantar fascia).

In answer to the change in your running style - if you're the accomplished athlete that you say you are who has never had a problem running for years and years, why would you want to change from heel striking. It will not be this that has caused your PF.

Cheers,

Ablefeet image

• Ablefeet

I was using Brooks Summons, am now using Asic Nimbus 14. My orthotics are for a range of bio mechanic problems, I had club feet when born, I broke my righth leg when I was 15, 16 and 24. The second break was set with a 22 deg vulgar angulation but no leg difference. When I was 24 it was broken again, they opted to correct the angulation but it left me with a leg length difference of about 1 cm and some bio mech issues. I did 12 years in the Army (17-29). 

I currently run between 15 -25 mile a week, I cycle, swim and weight train as well. I was 19st 7lb in November last year and have now reached 14st 4lb (freedom of not having to do Phys led to weight gain). I run as I please really, average distance is about 6 mile and terrain can vary from road, track and towpaths. I don't follow a training program but run for fun.

The pain is one of soreness and it did affect my little toe for a bit, since I have been using the new trainers it has stopped hurting as much and I do the stretches and exercises that have been recommended and that helps no end.

• Ablefeet wrote (see)

Several people in this thread have mentioned all sorts of different things to try to address PF, and it sounds as though you've tried most, but don't be so confident to think that "I don't need that, I'm strong enough already".  Similar to what Tom discussed, I use kinesiology tape on several patients with PF and have had some great results.  I have tried several different companies but have found Rocktape H20 to work the best on the plantar fascia (I have absolutely no link to them whatsoever, I've just found they've given me the best results for my patients).  I found with this version of the tape they make it sticker that their normal tape, therefore allowing for better support of the PF with less likelihood of it coming apart (those sweaty feet can be a real issue!). This can work very well diagnostically, indicating that you may therefore benefit from some orthoses (semi bespoke or bespoke - a rant for another day....).  You said you had orthoses, but when were these prescribed for you and what were they originally prescribed for. If you had your orthoses prescribed years ago, but you've only had the PF since January, the orthoses potentially are no longer "doing their job" and may need to be altered.

In answer to the change in your running style - if you're the accomplished athlete that you say you are who has never had a problem running for years and years, why would you want to change from heel striking. It will not be this that has caused your PF.

Cheers,

Ablefeet image

Able - understood fully but if you read my post at the top of this page the you will see I am trying taping as well.  image  not Rocktape that you suggest but standard kinesio tape which arrived today so I should get a run out with it at the weekend.   out of interest is your taping method for PF the same as Tom's??  there's seems to be a number of ways of taping for PF if you search YouTube - most of them being more of a under heel and then the tape fanned out under the foot which is very different to Tom's video one.   recommendations seem confusing

the forefoot strike thing is purely an experiment to see what effect it might have while I'm suffering the PF.  I'm not convinced it's a cure either but let's see where it takes me eh??  but it's not something I'm going to try in a race yet until I adapt - if I adapt - I'll stick to my usual gait for a while in races.   much like the taping - no harm trying.  I've always believed that we have a natural gait and you should stick to it if possible and only investigate others if injury prevents you running "normally" - that's where I'm coming from here.

the orthoses are ones that have been prescribed since the diagnosis.  have they helped?  mildly I guess is the answer which makes me wonder.  they certainly help while running in that I don't notice the pain but they don't stop the pain developing post race.

the cortisone can wait a while - let's try the less invasive ideas first

• Just a quickie...

Fat Buddha there are lots of taping techniques for most things. The only way to see what works for you is to try a couple out and see what is most effective in reducing your pain. The one on RunningPhysio is the one I've found most effective with runners with PF.

Right, time for sleep...long run in the morning...
  • Mine started 6 months ago

Tried some rest, exercise, complete break, more exercises, fitflop trainers, various orthotics, Strasbourg sock.

In eventual exaspertion had cortisone at end of June - all was well, cured - or so I thought. Soon as I have upped running, it has started to flare up again. I wear orthotics in every shoe I wear, even flip flops. Dr said you should never walk around barefoot - with or without PF. So I dont. But of course when you are cured, you become a little forgetful and complacent.

As I am a triathlete I can get my training still from bike and swim - I am fast beginning to think this is the way forward. Reluctantly I have to say.image