New part time job - calculating holiday entitlement

Can anyone with HR or Personnel knowledge help me out as I'm a bit stuck.

Yesterday I accepted a position.  It's 4 hours a day 9am to 1pm and it's 4 days a week, Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri. 

Am I entitled to any holiday and if so how much?  I've looked on the direct.gov website but it only works on days a week and I'll only be doing 4 hours a day so can't work it out. 

Thanks in advance image

Comments

• you will be entitled to holiday. No idea how much - but your contract should specify this. You will probably get a pro rata amount of what full time workers doing the same job get.

When do you start? Either just ask when you start, or wait till you get a contract and see what it says. If it isn't in the contract then you need to ask.

• Depends on the contract you agreed when you signed up
  • I think you'll find it will be calculated on a pro-rata basis to a full time equivalent entitlement of 5.6 weeks per annum.  I suspect yours will be calculated on annualised hours which works out at c90hrs per annum holiday equivalent.  but the contract will detail this

if you are contracted through an agency though you will have different entitlements

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

As the others have said, it should be in your contract, and if it isn't then you should question it.

It should be a pro-rated amount compared to the full time amount.

So if you are working 20 hours a week, and your full-time colleagues are working 35 hours a week, you should get 0.57 of whatever they get.

This may be expressed as days (which will mean YOUR days, ie. four hours), or hours.

Full time employees should get a minumum of 28 days a year, which can include bank holidays.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Thanks all.

I'm assuming a contract will be forthcoming as I only had the letter yesterday offering me the job.  Was just wondering about the holiday situation and now I know there could be some entitlement I will question it.  I start on the 17th September.

I've always worked full time so never been something I've questioned but as I'm going back part time, both days and hours it was something I wanted to find out.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Not COULD BE, there must be.

You are entitle by law to paid holiday - at least the pro-rata amount of 28 days per year (although it may be more).

• What tother's above said. If your new job is a casual one there my be small print regarding how they pay you the holiday and same might be the case depending on if you are on a trial. If this is the case you still get the money for the holiday pay but might not happen straight away.

• you should also check if the entitlement includes bank holidays or not.  BH's can still be included into an annual hoiday entitlement - it's not a given that they are in addition

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Cinders, it will be pro rata of whatever everyone else in the company is entitled to.  Drop me a line when you get your contract and I will work it out for you if you want.

Jx

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Thanks TS image 

One thing that came to me today was what would happen if BH are included but I'm not working on a Weds when Boxing day is, what happens then? 

• well if you're not due to work on that day, then you're not due to work full stop, regardless of bank holidays