Preston Guild Marathon

Comments

• I have used Adidas trainers before, they are ok but not great. If i knew the names off the top of my head i would name but i cant. They are low in cost though, so if your getting through a lot of trainers in a year, then they are good purchase for that reason.

I had some NB, i think they were the 1036, they were really nice, comfy shoes. I did really enjoy these ones, i rate them as good as anything ive had. 

Ive had a few different pairs of asics and ive always found these a pleasure to run in, i think the last pair i ran in were the 2120 or something like that. I just wish they didnt alwyas come with such high price tags!

I did once have a pair of Saucony, but i didn't enjoy running long distances in them at all and quickly moved on from them.

• Adidas Supernova Sequence. I have a pair of the version 4, but have found some cheap version 3 online so bought 2 pairs of those as they had more arch support than the 4's do.

I used Nike Pegasus once - am sure the girl in the shop was hellbent on me having them over any other brand - and they were great for treadmill work (got 1000+ miles out of them) but they blistered my feet a lot so wouldn't wear them for races.

• Hi all! How`s the training going? I`m half way through week 2 of an advanced marathon plan and feel ok.

Southport Strider wrote (see)

Hi Egyptian Toe, I too am doing my LDR's on Fridays, 14, 16 & 18 miles over the next three weeks and thats when I'll be hitting my peak weekly mileage of 43 miles. One of my long runs clashes with the 10K so I'll probably look at rescheduling it to the week before and make the week of the 10K easier in terms of mileage.

How come you`re on peak mieage so soon?

9 wrote (see)
    Be interesting to know if anyone uses Adidas and feels the same.

Vixx76 wrote (see)

Adidas Supernova Sequence. I have a pair of the version 4, but have found some cheap version 3 online so bought 2 pairs of those as they had more arch support than the 4's do.

I`ve always used Nike. After Spans and Triax, I`ve had 6 pairs of the now extinct Equalon 4s, which seem to stabilise me really well. Got some cheap Adidas Sequence from TKMaxx and used them for a split tempo yesterday. They felt ok and no unusual aches today. Where can I get the Sequences from cheaply?

• I got my Supernova Sequence 3's from sportshoes.com

They were reduced to £49.99. image

• I had saucony once and hated them. They felt like they slapped down.

I have supernovas for treadmill stuff. Salvations for longer runs. But as said since the blue colour they've felt poor and cheaper made.
  • You say the stats show more men ran under 2:30hr for a marathon in the 80's,, in those days more people walked or rode a bike to work. Nowadays people use a car for any journey , this has a knock on effect and people have become lazy. Sports drinks must have some sort of effect. Like its been said , in the 80's marathons and other races where run off just water but how many records still stand from the 80's?
  • Hi ET, hows your training going? Idid the Windmill half a week or so ago took me longer then I hoped to get over it!

I'm trying to get the balance right of running and family life. At the minute I'm doing my long run on a Thursday evening but from next month it will be Monday. With a couple of shorter runs from work.

Out of curiousity does any one else with children (I have twins aged 4 and a 2 year old) find that when they start a plan or the night before a long run, that they cause something to make it not as easy as it could be? Such as they are ill or they have difficulties sleeping keeping you up all night. Or is it just mine?

• Hi Chris i have one 2 year old and another one on the way due end of sept and am moving house in the next few weeks so am finding all sorts of things are trying to get in the way of my training and totally understand how you feel!! I have opted to follow the run less run faster training regime which is 3 runs and 2 cross training sessions per week i find that i can fit my runs in most weeks but the cross training takes the hit if i cant fit a session in!

Im looking forward to october and hopefully finding out that all the hard work was worth it for a new pb! Good luck with the training and juggling it with family life heres to an injury free enjoyable next few months!!

• The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)

I'm following a plan but cant remember where I found it because I've got it in a spreadsheet. The weekly mileage seems to stabilise at just under 40 miles with the long run gradually increasing to a maximum of 23 miles. Once I get to 18 miles next week the long runs are only every 3 weeks, with half marathons and 7 milers on the other weeks..

• Southport Strider wrote (see)
    The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)

I'm following a plan but cant remember where I found it because I've got it in a spreadsheet. The weekly mileage seems to stabilise at just under 40 miles with the long run gradually increasing to a maximum of 23 miles. Once I get to 18 miles next week the long runs are only every 3 weeks, with half marathons and 7 milers on the other weeks..

Sounds interesting. Plenty of recovery from each LDR, I guess. Last week I only did 31 miles and my LDR was just 10 from a Running Bug plan.

chris nuttall wrote (see)

Hi ET, hows your training going? Idid the Windmill half a week or so ago took me longer then I hoped to get over it!

I'm trying to get the balance right of running and family life. At the minute I'm doing my long run on a Thursday evening but from next month it will be Monday. With a couple of shorter runs from work.

Out of curiousity does any one else with children (I have twins aged 4 and a 2 year old) find that when they start a plan or the night before a long run, that they cause something to make it not as easy as it could be? Such as they are ill or they have difficulties sleeping keeping you up all night. Or is it just mine?

Pleased with training so far. Did intervals in mad heat at 2pm yesterday. My mile reps were all pretty close to or under 7 mins which is good for me. Surprised myself and with just 400m recovery.

I`m also juggling life with a young family. We have girls aged 18 months and 3 so I KNOW too! Just as I was starting my training, my wife came down with pharingitis and laringitis meaning I had to do everything at home, and the girls had been poorly too. Broken sleep is a killer too and you`re tired before even staring training!

• And I thought it`d be an idea to create a Preston Guild Race Series 2012 facebook page. Done it but not added owt yet and not sure if it works. If anyone locates it, let me know, and request to join, if that`s offered. Could be good to link up with folk for long runs and stuff - ?image

• Vixx -do you find that the adidas are slightly small in sizing? I'm thinking of getting some. Cannot afford my usual nike ones.
  • Interesting reading on this thread with regards to training plans. I currently targeting two events in my training plan which is Preston Marathon and Ben Nevis Fell race at the start of September. My weekly plan is Monday - 6 Mile run on the road, Tuesday 2 hours on the fells (Pendle Hill). Wednesday Boxercise and Pilates, Thursday Underground Circuit training, Friday - Day off, Saturday run 3 miles to gym followed by Extreme Challenge -spinning, step and squats etc then run back home. Sunday either a fell race or half Marathon. I have done Lytham St Annes half followed by Snowdon Fell race. Next is Cross Bay Challenge then a spanner in the works with a trip to China for a week on Business. Then Fleetwood half then Ben Nevis followed by holiday for 2 weeks. I aiming for under 4 hours having done my last marathon in 3.45.Do you believe this is possible on this mixed training plan?    

• Bloody hell after doing that lot I think you'll set a new world record. I was knackered reading it
  • 9 this why I'm knackered I'm only doing it to support a guy at work who wants to do a Marathon before he dies he's 46 and just started running. Seriously thou this is my normal training regime taking out running to the gym and a race on Sunday. This will be my fourth road marathon PB is 3.14 back in 06. Did Lytham in 1.36 so expect a 3.45 again.   

• 3.14 ....that's great. Is that off the same training?
  • Number - if you did 1.36 recently, you ought to be capable of 3.30 or better surely? Once the fell race is done, up the long runs to 3 instead of 2 hours and you wouldn't go far wrong IMHO.
  • 9 Total different traing plan and eating plan. Just eat Pasta/Brown Rice along with Turkey steaks and loads of vegetables and my training plan was.

Monday - 7 mile road, Tuesday - Fartlek training 1 hour, Wed - Boxercise/Circuit Training - 2 hours, Thurs Abs class and 7 road run. Fri - Rest or cycling , either Sat/Sun a long run increasing by 10% each week no more than 21 miles. Also gave up drinking 5 weeks before the race. I ended up weighing 10 1/2 stone was a bit to thin. Now weigh 12. What is your time target?    

• I thinks you'll hit 3:30 but don't aim for it. Just run to how you feel on the day.

I'm not doing this marathon (my wife is) I do London and if I do Preston after recovery I'll be ready to start all the training again. While training for London this yr I felt like poo for the three mths but on day just ran to how I felt and hit a monster pb. I'll be out cheering everyone on , on the day
  • How`s everyone doing?

I`m in a mess. Managed just 2 weeks of training (feeling great) and now have a foot injury that doesn`t seem to want to go away. Going to try and get an xray or something as it might even be a stress fracture. If it is . . . image

I`ll hammer it at the gym but I`m already wondering if I can drop to the half without having to pay again. image

Hope everyone is doing better. Just hope i can make the 10k!!

• Hi Egyptian, i hope it isnt a fracture, if so, thats a real shame for you.

Ive had shin splints for the past month maybe, but i dont think ive helped myself my simply cutting my miles down rather than taking a break. But im on my hols in early September, so im hoping that will do as a suitable rest period and things have calmed down a lot.

I think im doing the guild wheele this Sunday and fingers crossed i should get round the full 21 miles if i do, do it.

• Thanks. Had an X-ray this morning and there is no fracture! However, been told that I need lots of rest and I reckon that the full is unlikely to be possible. Been very upset but relieved now. Really hope I can do the series even if way below my best. Hope the ss clear.
  • Egyptian Toe - sorry for the delay in replying - have had no notifications for this thread at all image

What's the pain in your foot like? And where?

Re:adidas shoes - I have to have shoes that are 2 sizes above normal in the trail shoes, but am a 7.5 in the road trainers. I don't know why there is a discrepancy image

• Well it's not too bad. On Friday I ran for 15 mins until it started hurting then it gradually built. Home after 4 swift miles. Sore next day, very. Knew it wasn't good. Hope it's not to do with trying adidas shoes. Done 2 runs in 2 weeks and now told to rest for a fortnight so mara is not realistic. Hey ho.
  • Has the discomfort started since getting new trainers?

• The thought had crossed my mind, vixx. The last 2 attempts at runs have been in my old nike faithfuls and pain kicks in after about 15 mins. Not sure.
  • All quiet on here of late.

Did anyone do the wheel opening on Saturday?

Disappointing as only about 35 did it
  • I did 9, it took me 3 hours and i almost went the wrong direction a few times - but i did.

Yes numbers were low, but i wasn't surprised by that. I really enjoyed it and met some interesting runners.

How did you get on ?

I am doing a twenty mile this weekend, thinking about this route :

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/de6a677e9d414a2fa5e5a6e89356da9f?unit=mi

Not 100% sure on all the paths as its a new to me heading down to the canal. If any one spots any parts which aren't real let me know lol

And yes only around 9 weeks to go, come on folks lets get this forum moving!!

• I'm pretty new to running, doing Macclesfield half next month. However I want to do the big one before the years out an think Preston could be the one. I have had to lay off for a few days as I did my first 12 miler on Sunday but I ran on a sore leg and seem to have made things worse. When I say I am new to running I have only been seriously running for 7 weeks. Someone said that I needed to build the distance up slower so that my joints and muscles get used to the kind of strain that running puts on them. Preston is a month after Macclesfield, has anyone any advice with regard to whether I can get the distance in my legs in time?
  • Hi Mark, it is possible to train up to doing a marathon in the time you have. However, that said.....I would take things slower if i was you, esp as you seem to have an injury. For the marathon training, you would have to be covering at least 20 miles a week and that would only ensure you get round. For example the training program i am currently doing, has me doing between 30 and 40 miles a week at the moment. Why dont you get your self a training program for the HM your doing and see how that goes and then perhaps a week afterwards have a think about whether or not your ready / have the time to train up to and run twice that distance.

If is was me, i propably wouldnt do, but like i said if you really pushed yourself you could do it, everybody is different.