Duathlon Training Plans

Hello,   I was wondering if anyone could recommended a good duathlon training programme please.   Thanks Louise

Comments

• Have you tried googling? Apologies if you have already done this, but you have not said image

What distances will you be doing?

Where are you with your cycling/running experience?  Are you beginner, intermediate or advanced?

• Hiya,

I've tried having a look but there are some many it's confusing me a bit.

I would say i'm intermediate, i can run half marathons & cycle a good 30-40 miles, but i haven't done a duathlon yet so i'm not sure where to start with training.

• You're basically there then.  Most of the training plans seem to be aimed at complete beginners, which you're not.  Your best bet is to just do one, just to give you an idea of what they're like, then you can tailor your training to suit.  Most 'standard' duathlons are 10k run/40k bike/5k run, although shorter 'sprint' ones are available.  If you can run half marathons you can knock one of those off no bother.

• Thanks both of you I appreciate it, i was getting a bit confused with the different plans out there. I've entered a short duathlon to see how I get on and go from there.

Thanks again image
  • Which one have you entered?

Don't forget to come back and let us know how you get on image

• Hi, I did my 1st sprint duathlon this year.

I was in a similar position of running half marathons & being able to cycle 30-40 miles.

I didn't have the most specific training plan. I just continued my general cycling/running training but just added a few brick sessions to get used to the feeling of running straight from the bike.

I just used google and picked a distance. Think it was 1m run/3m bike/1/3/1 

Then about 3-4 weeks before I had a go at the race distance 5k/22k/5k

• I'm doing a duathlon in Braintree on 7th October, it's 4km/20km/4km so a good distance to start with i think.

Thanks for you advice, i need to stop over analysing it and getting myself confused! image

• As Cheerful Dave said -  " Your best bet is to just do one". so hope your event goes well.

I'm doing the Thruxton Mass Attack - 5km/30km/5km on 21 October, with the same intentions.

• Hi All

Sorry to jump on the thread but I am planning a 70 mile cyle plus 30 mile run 5 mile kayak event next september at present I run up to marathon distance, I have no idea where to start with a training plan that combines both all web searches seem to be for short distances I really need to improve my cycling and up my running distance a little. Currently I cycle occasionally and do spin class once a week any ideas where to start please

• Louise, the event at Braintree is a good one. Nicely marshalled, a flat fast bike course and an off road run albeit with a short very nasty hill! It's a Born2Tri event and beginner friendly. I did it last year as my first duathlon and will be going back to check my progress to now.

good luck.

• Clairey fairy - my advice too you would be if you are running up to marathon distance you do not need too increase your run mileage as its only a extra 4 miles and running heaps too do that is injury town really (I'm no ultra runner but my friend is and he says a 35 miler is fine with just mara training) however cycling the best advice for a intermediate/beginner cyclist is just up your physical time on the bike, for a 70 miler your looking at 4/5 hour long bike ride you want too go over the distance really, also some shorter more focused rides are good... For example speed work, hill rep sessions, cadence work (this is often over looked and in my opinion the most important!), etc... And kayaking no idea best bet is just do itimage