Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• SR3  Think I'm the only other one looking at sub 4hr, (unless other lurkers out there), welcome to thread & good luck. Love CFB's first aim to get to start line, so true. image

• Barry. See how it pans out. You never know what might happen on race day. Don't let your mindset hold you back- starting to sound ever so slightly like Yoda there...oops.

Good uck for the HM is sept AC. Do you have a target or just see what comes??

You truly are a nocturnal creature Chiiles. Cam't remember the last time I was up after midnight!!

Good luck to the maidenhead fellas

Welcome joe. What number mara will this be for you?

16 tonight @ 7.35 pace. Much easier to trot round in the cooler weather which was a relief. Easy week now to try and then locate my gonads for a tilt at 10k in paisley ( the place not referring to retro patterned 70s running kit) on Sunday
  • Fraser - yep, and I'm up after midnight again. I am hopeless at going to bed early - whatever time I go to bed I wake up 6 hours later anyway. MG seems to keep similar hours? With that 16 miler tonight are you targeting sub 3? I can't remember what you've done the last three years, but I have a vague memory that you were injured and missed one of the last couple.

Joe, hi -I don't know if you've done marathons before, but never forget that not many people will challenge/commit themselves to complete a marathon, and doing it in under 4 hours is a serious achievement

• Thanks for all the advice! Will be delighted to get to the start line and then ecstatic If i can finish before the organisers go home!

Fraser - Re the long runs I've got to 15 miles in training so far. 17 this weekend then an 18 and 2 x 20milers.  Following Hal Higgins programme but bit nervous that 20 is the longest planned.  Is there any merit in attempting a 22?  Bit concerned that won't be prepared for that extra 6 miles!

Hi Joe - good to see that I might have some company!

• FW – Ideally I would like sub 1.30 on 9th Sept, although I know that is probably not going to happen. In 2010, in the same HM race I did 1.30.38 and went on to do 3.17.06 at Abo. Last year, I did 1.32.54, and went on to DNF! at Abo. Suppose therefore my real target is 1.32.54 (better than last year), although that is still a long way from sub 3.15 shape.

What are you going for at Paisley?

SR3 – sounds like a reasonable plan. Tough question, whether to do a 22miler. As this is your first marathon campaign then you have to be careful not to overdo it in training. As Chillies points out, your first aim is to get to the start line (I have failed on this one a few times). If you were to do it, I would certainly do it slow (at least MP+90secs). As regards being prepared for the last 6 miles, I don’t think anything can.

Nice easy 35mins this morning. Club track session tonight, should be 12 x 400m.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

SR3 - I did a few 20's and a couple of 22's on the run up to my first marathon this year.  I survived the runs, but in the 3 week taper period my right calf completely tightened up and threatened to ruin race day. I can't pin point what caused this, but in retrospect the long runs were probably one of the bigger factors. The Hal Higgins programmes are well respected, and I would err on the side of caution and follow this.

My 3 weeks of tapering mainly involved stretching, ice, rest, massage, heat, foam rollers, kenisio taping, and dry needling to get to the start line. That was my lesson from Marathon No. 1  !!

• SR3 I reckon 20 is enough and your plan sounds fine. I wouldn't look to run under 20 for your last couple of LSR's. Also try and leave a weekend between them. For my marathons I use an 80% marker. So for a sub 4, I would hope to reach 21 miles by 3h 12min. This would mean that the easy first 80% has been acheived and the harder last 20 % is within grasp. Hope this makes sense.

• Chillies - hoping to go a few minutes under 3 this time. You're right I had 5 weeks off last time and did 3.00.40. We'll see how it goes this year. Did 3.02 on a very hot day in Edinburgh in May so hoping for a bit of progress this time !

AC-  Just try to put my foot down for the 10k - would be nice to do 36.xx but not sure that's realistic

SR3 - IMHO you don't need a 22 in your first campaign. Just do your 20s noce and slow and relaxed

• SR3 -  I would n't do the 22, stick with your plan, the only advice I can give you is do not set off too quick, however easy it feels stick with your planned pace.

Fraser -   Hopefully the force will be with us come race day.image

10 miles for me this afternoon, a bit warm, plan called for MP and managed 7:27 avg, slowest first(7:44) and quickest the last(7:12) so with my new realist attitude very happy with that. So that's the first 10 sorted just the next 16 to sort out. image Tempted by Maidenhead just and hour away from me.

• I have posted on the other thread but if anyone is looking for an Abingdon place then please contact me through here

Decided to wear my sensible head for a change  image

• SR3 again I echo everyone's advice, stick to the tried and trusted plan.

Lots of people with similar targets maybe nearer race day we can all post our predicted times and maybe buddy up. It really helped me at London running with my clubmate for the first 20 miles.

Did a solo track session tonight, five warm up 6 X 600m's with 200m's jog recoveries and a mile warm down. Only took the warm up nice and steady but felt really fatigued coming on to the track so I was quite pleased when the first rep came in at 1:56 and followed it up with 1:56, 1:52, 1:56 1.56 and 1:56. Last time I did this session about a month ago I was between 1:58/1:59's so a slight improvement. Track was the busiest I have ever seen on a non-club night. Lots of potential usain bolt's lol long may it continue!!!

Mileage increases a bit towards the end of the week but I'm off tomorrow and a couple of easy shifts sat/sun so hopefully that helps things.
  • mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

SR3 some sound advice given to you already, just try and enjoy it as much as possible, at least till mile 20 image Some great running going on, really glad your feeling more optimistic BB, and a nice average for today's 10!

Sounds like you had a great holiday CFB, not jealous at all.... image

Nice multi pace run this morning, 3 warm uop then 5mins MP, 5mins HMP continuous for 45mins, came out at 6.83m @6.36/m. MP came out a bit quick but the HMP, even though hitting the pace felt bloody awful, bit worrying as HM in just over two weeks. 3 very easy tonight.

• Chillies this will be my 8th marathon, 3rd Abo.

SR3 I'm following the Hal Higdon intermediate plan, have used this for all but 1 of my marathons, really like it as you only run LSR's alternate weeks, I tend not to drop back on the midweek runs tho, staying at 10m when I have built up to it. Managed to get 3hr 53 on this plan. Jo

• BB - very good 10 miles there. Good sign that your last mile was the quickest

MG - I always find solo track sessions hard, as it is nice to have people to chase/stay head of. Makes your reps even more impressive. Since the Olympics our club has had a large influx of children wanting to join, so much so that the club as requested additional volunteers to help/train as coaches to meet the demand. All sounds encouraging to me.

Meep - good pacy run. I am sure, when your HM race comes you won't have any trouble keeping up HM pace.

Fraser - good luck with your 36.xx target, and anyone else racing this weekend.

Club track session last night, 12 x 400m with 90sec recovery. They ranged from 89 to 96secs, which is fine for me, although worryingly around 4 secs on average slower than I ran them a year ago.

• Double today 4/15 was supposed to be 15/4 but having been up early all week I took the liberty of having a lie inimage

4 nice and easy 8 m/m legs a bit grumbly after the track session but soon loosened off. 15 done tea time and to be honest I was quite tired towards the end I set off at a decent pace but had a 4 mile section right into a headwind towards the end and hopefully it was this that took it out of me. Finished with an average of 6:54 and there was a decent lump in the middle so maybe not as bad as it felt.

Nice easy double tomorrow 6/4.

Aching I hope the kids stay interested but something tells me it will soon all be forgotten. Be interesting to see if anyone has any ideas how to keep the interest up, maybe the government can come up with something. Our local track has just been done up by the north Wales rugby believe it or not and the facilities now are fantastic tbf so you never know
  • Martin - nice pacy 15, equates to roughly my PB at that distance. Yes, I agree the government should come up with more support for local clubs to keep up the interest Perhaps money for coaches, and support so children do not have to pay to become club members or use the track.  It will be interesting to see this time next year, how many of these new members are still around.

Out for dinner last night with wife and parents. Must admit, I perhaps had a little bit to much wine last night, so did not feel too great for my 6 miles this morning. Will hopefully stay of the wine tonight and will feel better for my long run tomorrow morning. 

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Tasty looking 15 Martin, only a 1:30 hm in training, quality.

AC, But sometimes the wine is hard to resist, especially if with inlaws image

Nice off road 20 this morning, longest ever trail run and first time actually lost a shoe in mud! Managed to fish it out but Jesus it stunk afterwards!

• 17 mile long run last night. Furthest I've ever run and amazingly legs feel fine today! Still can't Imagine doing 9 on top of that but doing what Hal Higdon tells me!
  • mee meep wrote (see)

Nice off road 20 this morning, longest ever trail run and first time actually lost a shoe in mud! Managed to fish it out but Jesus it stunk afterwards!

those are the best trail runs mee meep!image

i have had a rest week with some shorter speedier runs after my Northdowns ultra50mile 12 days ago. body seems to still  be in one piece with no ill effectsimage
    phew.

• SR3 nice mileage, must be a big boost to see the miles adding up once you hit 20 you're confidence will be there. I wouldn't worry at this stage about the extra 9 don't underestimate the effects of a good taper and carb loading plus the race day adrenaline all make it feel so much easier. Plus the mind plays a massive part in it all, on your 17 miler your mind is telling you that's how far you have to run and you put all your effo into running 17 miles, when you run 20 I bet you feel the same way!

For me this morning an enjoyable run in the sun 4m warm up 28:04, 14 @ MP 6:14, 6:35, 6:37, 6:17, 6:32, 6:27, 6:30, 6:20, 6:27, 6:25, 6:12, 6:30, 6:24, 6:40 1/2 mile warm down. Like SR3 I felt whacked at the end but fairly consistent pacing happy with the weeks sessions.

73.4 miles with a track session and a decent MP run, one more weeks work before I put my feet up for a couple of weeks image
  • SR3 -  Good long mileage, don't worry you'll be OK come race day, stick to the plan and pace.

MG-   Another good/quick run from you.

loulabelle -   Congrats on doing 50, but you must be mad.image

Pewsey Vale HM today and after recent blips and pace in training was n't expecting too much. Small HM, about 200 people but really well organised.  A bit warm during warm up but not too bad during race.  Plan was to set off steady and push on at the end if feeling OK.  Splits:

7:27,7:17,7:13,7:28,7:05,7:04,7:11,7:21,7:28,7:36,7:59,7:21,7:32.

Course not flat, a lot of long steady climbs/descents.  Felt OK for first half  but started to struggle from 9 and could n't push on. Ball of left foot painful, maybe blister forming(but did n't effect running). So ended up with 1:37:06, PW by 2mins, FFS I ran 1:35 in my first HM(and I was disappointed with that) Over 5 mins slower than what I ran over the same course  in 2009 and 10 mins slower than HM PB.

Sought of expected but can't understand what is going on with my running but not downhearted about it. I do think my running style/gait had altered and not for the better. Obviously my 3 runs a week is n't working either.  Avg pace 7:22 so Abo target will have to be moved, 7:40 maybe. Still smiling, can only get better, hopefully.image

• Good pacy medium run from you MG. looking very good for a great time

Hope you managed to stay off the sauce AC and wake up daisy fresh AC. I find these days even small amounts really affect me - total lightweight

Glad the 19 went well SR3

Glad you're still in one piece loula. Always a good start!

Sounds like you can be quite philosophical Barry. Big factor must be the hills. How psyched we're you lat night and on the start line? I find I can only really muster enough mental energy to be prepared to flog myself for very few races a year. You still had some strong late miles and no massive fade. Warmth always a factor too

Paisley 10k for me. Ran it at about 98% effort - not wanting to drain my reserves at this stage. Managed 37.12 which I'll take at this stage. Sub 37 would have been nice but I'm not going to whinge. Onward and upward
  • Fraser -   Good racing  and great time, yeah mentally I felt up for it, but at the same time had doubts it would n't go well,  but body just did n't want to know in later stages. Treated myself to a guinness this afternoon, first alcohol for 10 weeks as no drinking does n't seem to be helping running.

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Nice going SR3, even better that the legs felt good the day after, always a good sign.

Loulabell, i dont even like the thought of running 50mile at once, much respect to you for that, just the 26 must seem to fly by!

Big session that one Martin!

Loads of people would be very happy with a 1:37 Barry, but i understand where you are coming from, had the same experience last year with race times going the wrong way, though it sounds weird, i got back on track by slowing all easy runs right down. Easy runs were being done at steady pace nearly every time and the fatigue was building. Hope you enjoyed the guinness!

How did you calculate 98% effort Fraser image  very nice time, was that a pb?

• barryB-impressive splits!!...certainly wasnt doing those  on the ndw50!image...i will be speeding up for Abingdon but still not quite as quick as you guys.

fraser-yes, nice to  be intact and not  crawling to the car after that distanceimage 37m 10k is pretty nifty too. but agree, save energyimage im a bit lazy too but i have an excuse over 50milesimage

mee meep- i dont like the thought of 50 in one go either-so i dont think that way,cant. hows your training for Abingdon?have your trainers recovered from mudimage

• Meep – nice 20 miler off road. Lost a shoe myself in the mud before..not nice. Glad the legs feel Ok today.

SR3 – well done of the 17 miles. Good that your legs feel fine, shows you are doing your long runs at the right pace.

Loulabell – well done on the ultra50. Suppose your training is now going to be focused on getting some speed for Abo?

MG15 – well done on another impressive week. Your MP run looked well under MP, so you must be feeling confident.

BB – There is still time to pull it around, I did a HM in July 2010 in 1.37.47 (100% effort & a PW at the time), but still did Abo in 3.17 in Oct 2010. 7.40 pace, would still give you a 3.21 Abo.

Fraser – sounds like a good effort. Only 13secs off your target with 98% effort, must be a good confidence booster.

After attempting my ‘undulating’ long run route yesterday, cut the run short to 12½ miles. Could feel the lower right calf just a little after 7/8 miles, so decided not to risk it, slowed down and took the short cut home. Was a little tight all day yesterday, although feels fine today, so touchwood caught it early, and will be back running tomorrow.

• AC -  There's still hope for me yet then, going to change my training a little, upping the mileage/runs but not too high and as Meep says run the slow runs slow. Wise move with your calf.

Loulabell -   Thanks for the kind words but last time I ran the same race my avg was sub 7.

4 mile recovery for me today at over 8 min/miles.image

• well done SR3, it is a fab feeling when you have completed your LSR & I'm sure Hal Higdon would be proud of us too image.

• Oops sorry, well done to everyone else on their LSR's too, some fab training going on.

• Aching Calves wrote (see

Loulabell – well done on the ultra50. Suppose your training is now going to be focused on getting some speed for Abo?

imageimageimage..speed? speed...hmm...whassat..im an ultrarunner..run, eat, run, eat, aid station, skip over rocks n things...end up in another county sometime later, hopefully the same day i started on, sometimes not....speed..*tries to remember what that is*image