Running socks

Do they actually help reduce blisters etc?

I thought for £10 - £15 i'd give them a miss however if they really do help when running I might go and buy some.

Comments

• I use the Hilly Twin Skin ones, and yes they do help. Before this I suffered some whoppers on the arches of my feet and on the inside of my heels,  but since using these (touch wood) no blisters at all. 

• Well, the Twin Skin socks gave me the biggest blisters I've ever had. Not saying they're crap, cause loads of folk love them. Really it's just a case of trial and error. My best results have been with toe socks. Like little gloves for your feet. Some people hate them though...

• I think toe socks would drive me crazy, but I have funny shaped toes... I use x socks and more mile socks, both of which I find fine. More mile the quality can be a bit rubbish though, I find they fall apart within a year usually, but at under £4 I don't expect miracles. I have 2 pairs of x socks that have lasted me over 10 years, so I would say are worth the money.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I think it's like runs-with-dogs says - it's trial and error for what works with your feet.

For me - I had a cracking pair from Decathlon that lasted 18 months but washing took the flexibility out of them and I had to throw them away - i've not had a decent pair from them since.

I rely on Falke socks for races as they're the best socks and mould to my foot.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Being a cheapskate I stock up on the Lidl and Aldi socks when they're available. They work for me as well as anything costing ten times the price. And they last for years.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Nike dri-fit for me. Got 2 pairs for ??7 the other day. Still have a couple of pairs I got for the 2009 Paris marathon that are still going strong. Not had a blister in them yet either.
  • The Aldi ones are great... I stocked up when they were out back April time. Definatly bargain at £2.50 a pair!

• Yes, sports socks do help. You don't need to spend £10-15, but its definitely worth shelling out for "proper" socks. I've got Nike Dri Fit ones, about £4 a pair from Sports Direct; and some X-Socks which are more expensive but I got as a pre-marathon pressie from a friend image

• I've had umpteen packs of Karrimor socks from Sports Direct, 2 pairs for £3.99.  In between I've tried More Mile and New Balance ones and had blisters and sore toes so strictly Karrimor for me now.

• I`ve bought and tried all types. I do like my long x socks but I really like the Aldi ones. I did a marathon in them. I wasn`t so keen on Karrimor or 1000 mile. Got some Lidl ones recently and they seem ok.

Got holes in both pairs of dri-fit Nikes very quickly, but then I do have funny shaped toes, hence my moniker! image

• +1 for the Aldi ones - I'd pay much more for them!

Can't stand the Twin Skin Hilly ones aand the woolly ones are worse!

• Another 1 for the aldi socks. There t shirts and vests are good too.

I also like Nike dri fit. Defo worth the 8 rips.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Aldi socks work a treat but I find that by the time i can get to aldi - they've sold out of my size  image

• +1 for the ALDI socks from me. I like them for shorter distances and colder weather. Like everyone else has already said, they're a total bargain and really long lasting.

• I've had blisters, I use two pairs of socks, I think my feet need to get used to being in a shoe, I normally walk in flip flops this time of year and even normal shoes do the same so trial and error but dont give up!

• If you want to splash out on some socks designed to prevent blisters for the longest ultramarathon distance events then checkout Drymax socks particularly the 'maximum protection' models now available in the UK

http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Drymax-Socks-s/1880.htm

• I was given a pack of Ashmei socks and although arguably the most expensive on the market they are extraordinarily comfy, L/R foot-fitted, merino wool/carbon mix to reduce smell and are lasting my trail-exclusive running habits well.  I even did a video blog on them but I wont upset Muttley by posting the urlimage

• the asics ones at sports direct have always been good to me. £3.99 a pair too

• I have the 1000 mile double skinned ones which work OK, but like Wacky Sox for the look.

• Hilly Twin Skins have worked for me as well, most recently on a 50-mile trail race, but also on a very wet marathon (Manchester). I do vaseline my feet as well before runs like those. I've got other double-skinned socks as well - More Mile, Karrimor etc., which are also fine.

• Merk wrote (see)

I've had umpteen packs of Karrimor socks from Sports Direct, 2 pairs for £3.99.  In between I've tried More Mile and New Balance ones and had blisters and sore toes so strictly Karrimor for me now.

I second the Karrimor socks. I tried some dual layered socks (sorry don't know brand) and they were awful. They were too thick and I too got the biggest blisters ever on my heels.

• I couldn't get on with the hilly twin skin ones - I just couldn't get a smooth fit, OCD bunching alert! I use the 1000 mile light ones, they're thin merino wool outside with a coolmax inner. About £11 a pair though.

• Im with you Feral It just doesnt seem right to have two slidey layers so twinskins are not for me. For cheapies I use nike dryfits from a shop in baker street £4 each i think they were

• got 1 pair of Hilly twin skins and like them but when hot they get too hot. got a bargain at Sports Direct with 2 pairs of New balance socks for 7 quid and they are very good but I have to say the kalenji padded socks from Decathlon I think at 6 quid a pair are the most robust in terms of washing. they last for ages and are very comfortable.

• I have tried twinskin and didnt get on with them, hilly no great improvement, more mile appear to have extra in right places and seem ok, however i always fall back on cheap umbro trainer liners, never had a problem since.

I think sometimes people up their mileage or change shoes and dont give their feet time to adapt. If in doubt vaseline hotspots.

• Scott Aranyi wrote (see)

Do they actually help reduce blisters etc?

I thought for £10 - £15 i'd give them a miss however if they really do help when running I might go and buy some.

I never get blister's, I just wear whatever socks I had on the day before. Running socks are just another con to extract money from mugs image

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    The light injinji socks are great if you are prone to blisters on the toes, I've also been trying x-socks this week which so far I am really liking! I do like hilly twin skins too but they can get a bit hot in the summer and I kept getting blisters between my toes on longer runs with them!
  • Addendum: 1000 mile double-layer socks have now decided to eat holes in my little toes, so no longer recommending those! Hilly twin-skins still fine.