Sub 3h15

Comments

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

MSE - That sounds like an hour really well spent

Impressive running by Jools and Gul and SJ. Nice to see you got your mojo back DM

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

Jezza - Does dynamic stretching count or do you have to warm up 3 to 4 times a day too? I think I'll stick to just stretching after each run for now.

not sure I know what dynamic stretches are Gul, but it's def not a case of warming up - just gentle stretches as and when you can.  I'm gonna try to incorp into my tv watching and bedtime routines

nice reps though, also by Jools and a good threshold piece from DM.  All very impressive

hi to MsE

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

another 2 days missed here- very jealous at all the efforts going in.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear it, OO image

Well, I survived my first session with the racing team I have joined here and wasn't the slowest there. Phew. Last night we ran XC fartleks incorporating 4 x 1.25 mile loop over undulations and sandy trails. It was certainly a session that let me know what fitness I have lost these past two months but I was happy to see my average pace came out around 6:45m/m. Something to work on now. There were some super fast ladies there though and I have never had so much leg envy as last night seeing some a large gathering of super fit women! image

Hi SJ! Assimilation is coming along nicely although there are some quirky Americans here in SF. Currently experiencing summertime (wintertime) and looking forward to autumn (summertime). See? It is weird. The pre-Americas Cup racing is on next week and we are looking forward to watching some super fast boats whizzing around the Bay!
  • My first vo2 max session of the P&D campaign tonight. 6x 800m off 400m jog recoveries. 5.42,5.38,5.38,5.40,5.32,5.31.Slightly undulating with some head wind so pretty pleased with that. First fast session for 10 weeks of P&D and although I didn't feel like I had lost any speed, it was definitely a harder effort than I remember from my 10k training before start of Marathon training.
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    DM - sounds like it was like riding a bike - you never forget. For me I still need to learn to ride a bike to get paces beginning with a '5'. Good session.

MsE - sounds lie a good first session. A bit of leg envy never hurt anyone!

Hope those benched make speedy recoveries. For me, I am enjoying a week of plodding along.
  • AR- belated congratulations on a great HM run on Sunday. I reckon with the wind behind you on a downhill course you could get into low 80's!! In all seriousness cracking run and you must be nailed on for an even better time on a reasonable course.

Found out tonight a new park run is starting up only a few miles from me. Superb news.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Aw, TAR, do you really have to bail out at this stage? You got through some fairly rough terrain on the coast the other day, perhaps with some TLC the achilles would survive a straightforward road mara. Why not defer the decision for a bit.

Good luck to all others on the bench, plenty of time to sort things out before autumn training gets serious.

MsE you will be super scary fit very soon, very impressive.

12 tonight along the canal, torrential rain again. Time to declare a new notional target - to reach 50 maras/ultras by the end of 2013. Thats 13 in 16 months; not told MrsP yet....
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    TAR - speaking as an Achilles sufferer to another, have you eliminated the cause of the niggle yet? I knew my tight calf was to blame and two hard sessions too close together tipped it over the edge. I am making sure to leave two days between hard runs and have invested in a calf wedge to ensure I don't suffer from tight calves anymore. Not yet back on hilly hills but managing undulations fine. Sounds as of you are too by the sounds of things?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - the total distance of the speedy bits for the week only come to around 2.5 miles, so doing two small speed sessions rather than more in one session seems to work for me. BTW "Stick around TAR". Was that intentional?
    Jezza - dynamic as opposed to static; so leg swings etc... Good luck with trying to fit in gentle stretches in your daily rouinte.
    OOlg - are you on the bench or is there another reason for no running for the last 2 days?
    MsE - nice session.
    DM - great set of intervals. Good news on the parkrun.
    Poacher - 13 ultras in 16 months? You're just a crazy kind of guy.
    5 miles at a nice steady 7:28 m/m, this morning. Well actually that was the average
    pace, it was more of a progressive. Must take it easy for the rest of the week now.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done on the Session MSE- it's always good to train with faster runners for motivation and increased effort.

Various things have been getting in the way of my running lately including work, birthdays and my wife's new business- no complaint there, just how life goes sometimes. But with 2 races next week (a mid week 10k and 10 miler the following Sunday) I really need to pull my finger out or my performances will suffer. With this in mind I blaster a 9 miler last might in 7:25 avg. pace- that felt good image 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

DM - great session, with nice running from everyone else too.

Poacher - given that you run marathons 'for fun' I have no doubt you will reach your target - Mrs P willing that is.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Always good to have targets, Poacher - and brave to declare them!  Mine is much more modest; that is to complete 26 maras (one for each mile of the distance), and making no 26 the 2015 London, by which time I will be 60 (and symetrically satisfying, as would be 13th London, therefore half of total). So, that leaves 3 to do, but first I have to get my knee fixed and then start the long haul back. To which end I have finally secured a referral to consultant at today's physio appointment, so will see what that brings. . .

• Sorry to hear you're still getting aggro off that Achilles, TAR, but as others have said, don't throw in the towel just yet...

Slokey - I did 5:37 last year in the Magic Mile off quite poor fitness and little specific training and at the end I seroiusly thought I was going to sh*t myself and throw up simultaneously. The ladies will be pleased to hear that in the end I did neither. So this time I think something around 5:25 should be possible. Rival me and a fiver says I'll take you down. You too, Jezza!

With this in mind this morning I  did a bit of tentative speedwork to see if there was anything at all remotely like speed in the legs, with a cautious 4 x 400m in the middle of an 8-miler. I know this is paltry and I blush when comparing it to my own efforts in marathon training, but you have to start somehwere. Anyway, they came out at 82s, 83s, 82s and 80s, which shows that at least the thing is worth persevering with. During the last rep I found myself repeating "EMBRACE THE PAIN!!!"

Looking forward to getting that book, Jezza, and hopefully bashing out some faster times over shorter distances this Autumn.

• Slokey - if you do rival me on the Magic Mile, remember I'm in the Rest of the World team! And Jezza, get yourself signed up!

MsE - That running club of yours sounds like my idea of Heaven.

• Sorry to hear about your glute strain Rob - I'm no doctor, but it sounds like a pain in the arse to me. Seriously though take it easy and come back stronger.

Interesting talk about the Pilates/Yoga work. Anything that improves core strength can be really beneficial.

Nice reps Jools.

Good luck with your December mara campaign MsE

Crazy notional target there Poacher. Doable & albeit expensive. I guess it's all about timing and logistics too. Good luck!

And brilliant target too Birch - I'm sure you'll do it. Hope the visit to the consultant can changes things for the better for you.

Ant - those times for your reps show you still got a lot of pace - very impressive.

• 30.23 last night in the Coventry Godiva Autumnal 5. Same venue as the Sphinx 5 but a different course with a few more inclines to deal with. Mixed emotions of being pleased with the time and disappointed not to get that elusive sub 30 time! Maybe next year?

• Been rivalling a lot of people for the magic mile, hope to have got Gul, Any and SJ so if you are not rivalled by me then please rival me and I will try to work out what stranger I have rivalled. Not much running and about to go to France for 10 days and then it is 2 days to the Arethusa Mile so I will be fresh at least.

• Pleased to hear it MsE, and not just about the "super fit women"! What's a "calf wedge"?

Birch, great news on the referral. May the waiting list be short!! Like the target by the way.

Poacher = nutter = envy from SJ

Nice pace there DM

KR, pick yourself a FLAT course and get that sub 30.

PMJ, yes that was me - consider yourself on my hit list.

Ant, you are on sir! If I had a glove I would remove it and strike you about the chops! Don your trainers and be prepared to duel to the point of vomityness.... image
  • Challenge is on Ant! If I've done it right..., did you get a "you've been rivalled" message?
  • Slokey - Yes, but not not from you!! PM me with your real name and I'll find you.

• I don't think anyone has rivalled me in the magic mile...

3 x 1.75 mile reps on my own tonight. I'm sure they're harder solo. They came out at 10.57, 10.55 and 10.51, which is a little disappointing as the same session a week earlier in VLM training came out with 10.56, 10.51 and 10.46. With company though, and I'd been doing long reps all winter, whereas over the summer I've been doing silly short stuff on grass. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OOlg - I thought that was the case; bet that 9 miler felt good.
    Birch - good news about the consultant. One step nearer your goal, I hope.
    Ant - that's pretty good going, especially as I don't think you've been doing any speed work recently. I think you're still going to beat me without hardly trying!
    KR - good racing; shame you missed out on that sub 30.
    PMJ - yes, that was me you rivalled a while since. Bonnes vacances.
    Speedy - I rvialled you some time ago now, but as my name's not Gul Darr, you probably wondered who on earth it was! Good long reps, btw.
    3 mile plod for me this morning (8:58m/m).

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I haven’t posted here in months but have been happily lurking along. Glad to read there’s plenty of good running going on but sorry to read about the various injuries.

I ran the Rathlin Island Half Marathon last weekend with a GoPro camera on a chest harness. Here’s a link to the video that some may enjoyimage -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JdLK1Ao6d8&feature=plcp

• Haha great video Badbark you have a future as film maker!, and very well done on the result at Craggy Island.image

I expect there'll be a flood of similar videos popping up.

How's everything going? What's your next big target?
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nice vid Bad bark! I might have missed it but what was your time?

Forced back to see the consultant about my leg and as nowt came up on the ultra so they believe it is illiopsoas tendinitis. I also have a tendon tear in my shoulder so am booked in for an op on 5th Sept with the 3-4 week rehab after. This means that my ticket for the Lake Vyrnwy run is available on 9th September if anyone fancies it. Info hopefully attached here Vyrnwy. This is my favourite half and this is the second year in a row I have been forced to pull out. It is a pretty fast half run around a resevoir in mid wales.

• efc-colefc-col ✭✭✭
    Badbark, good to hear from you again and well done on 2nd place, loved the video and the sound track.Been in many races feeling like Benny hill...

Mennania sorry to see your still sidelined hope you recover soon, you kindly passed last years Vyrnwy number to me but can't use it this time, too close to GNR, it is a very good

MsE nice to hear from you too from across the pond, keep up the good work.Friend of mine ran an Trail ultra in your neck of the woods couple of weeks ago and said it was one of the most beautiful races she has ever ran,she did win it though.

As for me am still trying to get some speed back in my legs ready for GNR (zone B)but finding it difficult at the moment, still a bit of holiday fat to shift!

OO will ask nearby clubs if there is a number going for GNR .

Good luck to those of you doing the magic mile, and those churning out the miles.
  • Great wee video Badbark. It looks very like Arranmore where my wife's from - though Arran is a lot more sparsely populated!

Hope the injured fellas get sorted pronto

Good luck for GNR efc-col
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Efc-col I didn't realise you were coming to do GNR. I have a zone A number, with (but behind) speedy. Let's try and say hi!