Showers at a race event?

I'm co-organising an event in Ludlow this year and we're putting on lots of cool stuff so runners can bring the family, and hang around afterward to have a great day with us. Bearing that in mind, we're thinking about supplying showers for runners to use post-race. Just wondered about RW Forumites' thoughts on this, as I can't remember having seen showers at any race I've done!

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Where a race HQ is in a building where there are showers (my nearest half mara's HQ is a college sports hall), then I will use them, but I'm not bothered if there aren't any showers.

However, I don't tend to want to hang around after races.  The most time I spend after running is enough time to take advantage of the food stalls (if there are any). 

I can't imagine anything that would make me want to stay longer - what are you putting on?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I would always want a shower after a race because I have an issue with my body cooling rapidly after i stop running.

If you're expecting runners to hang around (and for me - it would have to be something really special) then i'd say showers are great and a necessity.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Anyone who thinks of showers as critcal shouldn't step foot outside the gym.

🙂

• Hi Wilkie, thanks for the input!

We're putting on all sorts of things - the race starts and ends in an 11th-century castle, and we're holding an event in the outer bailey called FitFest. We're doing mass open-air Zumba, yoga cool-downs, archery, things for families to do, food and drink, smoothie bar, all sorts. We also have speakers and book signings - Robin Harvie, author of Why We Run is coming, and James Adams, who ran the TransAmerica last year, and also the completely ace Rosie Swale Pope is giving a talk and doing a signing.

Also, runners get 12% off at participating shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants in the town on the day, on presenting their race memento.

And then in the evening, there's a stand-up comedy gig in the outer bailey, with five superb comics (Greg Davies is headlining, also Paul Tonkinson, and Holly Walsh) and an outstanding band. That's a separate ticket, but it's a bargain.

Right, in your opinion, is that enough to get a runner to hang around in our gorgeous little town for the day?

• Emmy, we're going to go with showers - they're obviously important for some people, and if we want folks to hang around and spend the day with us, we need them to be comfortable.

• Showers are nice - but so few races have them that most runners are used to going without.

I know Edinburgh Marathon was meant to have them - but it was easier to shower at the railway station before going home.

• It's a nice bonus if avaliable and if you can provide 'hot' showers then i'm sure most  would be thankful especially as you seem to be making it an all day thing, best of luck.

• Thanks, jwheezy!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I've never been bothered about showers at a race. I'm happy to get changed afterwards and head home all sweaty and horrible to take a shower or bath at home. I usually take ages to stop sweating anyway.

That said, I might be interested if I get a say in who I share the showers with ...

• Hmmmm, perhaps some kind of car-keys-in-a-bucket lottery...?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Runners are a hardy bunch, so I wouldn't have thought many would be put off staying by having no showers.

Unless your race is some stinkbomb muddy offroader, it won't kill people to stay with that post race "glow".

There'll always be exceptions though, like the types who turn up made up, or with gelled hair image

• I ran one race where the local fire brigade supplied the post run shower. The girls were very clean afterward, not so the men. I wonder why?

• We did think about doing it with fire hoses, Turkish prison-style.
  • Anybody got any more input?

• Showers are a pretty rare luxury although they did manage it in a barn at the Tough Guy. The Sodbury Slog had hot tubs to scrub the worst of the mud off so the school showers wouldn't get bunged up. I carry a packet of wetwipes just in case there are no showers and I've had no complaints on buses or trains home.

• This is all road, so shouldn;t be too muddy at the end, just a bit sweaty... Thanks IM.

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

I have run races with showers at the end, but never used them.  Mostly there is a queue, often the floor gets so wet and muddy that you just get dirty after anyway, and i mostly just want to leave and go home.  I'm sure other people will love the idea though.

• We'll be careful with these as the finish line is in an 11th century castle so we can't make a mess!
  • Whats the event in Ludlow. Sounds good image

• Badgerdaddy - I'll be coming some distance and staying for the whole event.  The showers would be most welcome.

Envious plodder - details of the Ludlow 12k can be found at http://www.ludlow12k.co.uk/index.htm. I lived there as a child so looking forward to going back. image

• Good luck with your event Badgerdaddy - it looks like a good one, and if I lived closer I would certainly come for the race.

As for the shower issue - no matter how careful you are as an organiser the showers are going to get skanked up, from soap, shower gel, shampoo and general footfall as 100's of people pass through, its just inevitable. When I see the hideous state indoor toilet facilities are left in after (and very often just before the start) of some races, toilet paper all over the floor, water (and worse image) everywhere, then I can pretty much guarantee you will have a lot of cleaning up to do as the day goes on and certainly after the event. People are generally skanky feckers, so just prepare yourself for the worst image.

• Tough Guy has them in a converted cattle shed. Everyone in together ! Ooer !

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I've been to one agility race and they gave us hoses to users a shower. It was 32'c an hot so we didn't mind too much but it was bloody cold!
  • Looks fab - wish I could come along and enjoy the race and everything else you've organised. Will it be an annual event?

• I can't see from the web page what time the race start

We fancy making a day of it with the kids if it isn't too early.

• I'm running The Beast at Melton Mowbray on Sunday. Showers are a hosepipe!