Back Again from the Dark Side

Goo5eGoo5e ✭✭✭

Hi All

Well I havent been here in a long time, illness, injury, couch potatoeness, bad diet and those expensive things you burn and inhale have/had taken their toll and I had forgotten the joys feeling fit and healthy.

By September last year I was in a bad way, over 40, smoking 20+ a day, no exercise and having too much of a liking to eating poison like McDonalds had ballooned to somewhere in the region of 25  stone!!!!!!

Well there is light at the end of the tunnel, I kicked the cigarettes on the 6th Sept last year after 23 years of filling my lungs with that crap, I feel fantastic, havent touched one since, in fact I hate the very smell of them, amazing how an Ex smoker can be the most avid anti smoker, anyway in addition to that Ive been cycling alot, since March ive Cycled over 500 miles and done a 52 mile charity ride,

Of course this does mean that Im losing weight, Im actually down by over 3 stone now, an amazing achievement if you consider this time last year I could hardly walk up the stairs without feeling like I needed new legs and new lungs

Anyway, Im now going to start running gain, my fitness from the cycling has started giving me my life back and Im on such a rollercoaster now I just dont want to loose any momentum.  I know with my weight that I will have to take it easy but Im hoping soon that wont be an issue anymore

Sorry if ive gone on a bit but I just had to share my tale, its such a big change in my life lately and I cant remember feeling this good, Dont get me wrong, Im by no means fit, I went for my first plod yesterday and it wasnt at all easy but perserverance I know will pay off. I know, Ive been there before, many many years ago.

Need to make sure I hang around here as well

Anyway Ill stop before i bore the server to death lol

Safe Running

Tony

Comments

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Hi Tony,

Congratulations on your success to date! As an ex-smoker I appreciate that it is hard to give up but once you've made the decision it's a good feeling to be free.

Sounds like you're highly motivated and doing well. Stick in!

Look forward to hearing more about your progress.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done, Tony! It's all about the small steps and you're on the right track. Let us know how you get on - it'll be lovely to hear how you're getting on with running
  • Hi Tony,

Ex heavy smoker here too (and recovered alkie), so I know what it feels like to start from a very low base line after abusing my body.  Just be patient, don't overtrain, and apply constant regular effort and the universal law of gradual progression will keep moving you in the right direction.

I'm running my first marathon in January, fingers crossed all goes well.  I'm running upto 30 miles a week now, and still increasing by 10% - and resting every third or fourth week.

It feels wonderful.

Take care, mate.

• Hey Tony

Congrats on the success so far, great to see someone looking at themselves honestly and then wanting to make a change. Keep up the good work and let us know how you get on!

My Blog

• Goo5eGoo5e ✭✭✭

Thanks for the support all, im getting there very slowly, but at least its in the right direction