Sunday 26th August 2012

Put on your red shoes and dance the blues

Morning all, are some of you having a lie in today?

What 21.5 LSR
Why confidence building
Lyrics was going to set these yesterday but was beaten to it.

Hapyy running/racing sleepy heads.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics were: "Love is the Drug", Roxy Music.

Today's lyrics: yes.

What: a walk and stretches etc
    Why: day 6 for fight the flab plus Achilles and calf (aren't we sick of those words!) need a gentle test.

Nice long run Postie!

Hope for some race reports later!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all, 
    nice long run postie!
    what - hopefully an easy hour later if I get time 
    why - out with family all day, perhaps Science Museum , we'll see 

lyric - yes I do

have a lovely Sunday 

• MOooooooorrninnngg.  

Rest for me today, 13mi yesterday in the rain's left me feeling quite poo.

Gonna take my son swimming image

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Lyrics: Yes, but I did have confirm courtesy of Google.

Steady 8 miles around Regents Park - more ducks than joggers today. A very enjoyable effort, made the more so by not being timed.Expected to be a bit knocked up after yesterday's effort, but not so.

Have a good day all.
  • What: sea swim (done)
    Why: wake up after yesterday's HM and wedding hop
    Last hard: Nyesterday (HM followed by wedding dance)
    Last rest Saturday

Nice bright day here

(my "race report" on 25th thread)

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Some good running yesterday PP, RFJ, OH.

What: 6.5 km "jog" up the mountain next to the house.  Hard work indeed.  Took my OH with me and we had to walk up bits of it.  Then on the way down we had to shelter under some trees as there was rain of biblical proportions!
    Why: exploring my new territory
    Last hard: the hill!

I have a new aim now though - run to the top of the hill with no walking, it's 400 m so quite a long way...

Have a good one all.

• Lyrics: yes

Postie: glad to see the long runs appearing in the thread again. Let me see, is this the Abingdon campaign?
    As or the sleepy heads comment, some of us were up at the unnatural hour of 0630 to head off to our racesimage
    Spark, welcome aboard.
    Tom: Sometimes it’s just getting out there and doing a bit that is enough to lift the spirits.
    OH: That’s some action packed weekend. I’m intrigued to find out which came first, the wedding arrangements or the half marathon race?
    EMzap: Happy exploring. New trail shoes on the shopping list yet? 

Just pressed the send button by accident. Race report to follow.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Emzap:  we have had rain of Biblical proportions, too! Yesterday I went a well-known supermaket and the car park was flooded with the water half way up the wheels of people's cars: quite funny watching people with their laden trolleys scratching their heads wondering how they were going back to their cars. Some were taking their shoes and socks off, rolling their trousers up and paddling. Glad it wasn't me! I drove off and went elsewhere to a German based supermarket chain!
    Running to the top of the hill sounds a good challenge!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Malmesbury Triathlon (400m pool/22km bike/5km run) 

Easy navigation, all out and back stuff, even in the pool.
    This was my first ever tri, so I had mentally rehearsed the transitions, and arrived early enough to get sorted. I still made a silly pre-start goof, by forgetting to take EVERYTHING I’d need to the transition/start area. A jog back to the car for my goggles was needed.

My wild estimate for the swim was 13 min when I entered. I revised it to 12 after my hols. Still that put me squarely with the whales. (Not theWales’, but they only live 5 miles away). I had nice space to swim in for half the distance, then ran into boat traffic. Tapping ankles didn’t make a difference and I had to actually overtake one. It was like trying to pass lorries on the M6 after that, just sit in there and wait for 4 lengths. So, I hit the end jumped out, ripped off the hat and ran to T1 as they all faffed about. 

T1, like clockwork. My bike was the furthest away from the entry/exit, so that was a long run in cleats. Got on and three of us hit the road simultaneously. One guy on a white bike made a gap ahead, and I managed to pull away from the other. I was told to ride it like I’d stolen it, and by crikey I gave it some effort. White bike seemed to not be getting further away, and at one point I started to close, until he spotted me and started to try a bit. 

T2, not bad either, although the chap next to me was 5s quicker. 

“Run”. I was expecting bad legs, but FFS, this wasn’t funny. Somehow I managed to keep pace with those around me, who were all running like ducks. I bet I was too. After 1k it was simply time to JDFI. Passed the guy off the white bike and ran as hard as I could. Which wasn’t that fast. The km markers came as slowly as mile markers, but they did come. I heard the famous Blisters Steam Train on the last 2km so I was at the right effort level. The final 400m is a 300m uphill climb, with a 100m steep finish. Dig deep and act like a runner. 

400 Swim: 09:56 (Blimey! Well chuffed)
    T1: 01:36 (respectable)
    22k Bike: 44:20 (18.6mph)
    T2: 01:40 (couldn’t run at all well)
    5k Run: 23:12 (told you it was bad) 

It turns out that I took 4 minutes out of Mr White Bike just on the run. Yay!
    Back home for Sunday Lunch. Result!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Blisters  wow well done, that's really good, I bet you're chuffed.

Ale  he he at the people in the car park!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Blisters: as you say, result! Well done on your debut...and unlike the marathon I can't hear the cry of "never again!" When's the next one?
  • Next tri is in 2 weeks time, this one will be supported/scrutinised by the Club, as it will be a team event. We have two teams of 6.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Blisters - well done, on breaking the seal. looks like you had a better swim than run, and you're a runner too.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice work Blisters

Lryics yes image

Race Report - Cutting it fine...

Pewsey Vale Half Mara today, aim was sub 90... outcome - SUCCESS by 12 seconds.....

1st race that I have properly raced since Netley back in May... so a tad nervous, small warm up and all in order... aim was to hit 6:45s as early as I could, nowing that this is my PB course (1:26:09) and that there was a big hill at 4-5m and again around 10-11m (more of a long drag), plus with the hamstring tendon tear back end of last year and bladder surgery in Jan, not sure what to expect.

1m - 6:59, Not the best of starts and really found it hard to get into the pace
    2m - 6:48, A tad better and rust departing from the body...
    3m - 6:51, A few ups and downs so OK
    4m - 7:11, Hill and it hurt.......
    5m - 6:46, Andown the other side and pacing where I need it....
    6m - 6:45, Liking this.....
    Half way in 45:39 and a bit off the pace
    7m - 6:48, Some consistancy...
    8m - 6:52, nearly go wrong as in own world and nearly miss the marshall... good job she had a loud (mouth) voice.... we did have a quick laugh..
    9m - 6:40, Back on the money
    10m - 6:54, The long drag starts and the heat is kicking in.....
    11m - 7:07, The wheels on the bus are SQUARE...... not happy, overheating struggling, mind goes....
    12m - 6:31, Opposite to mile 11, the wheels are round, thanks to the 3rd lady who pulls me along, now I have a chance, but need to stay strong...
    13m - 6:47, Just what the doc ordered even with the last hill, and retake the the 3rd lady and 2 guys
    13.12m - .42 thats was cutting it fine.......... 1:29:48......

32nd overall, very happy, but hard work.... Mrs RFJ ran her 1st half and came away with silverware..... as 3rd counter in the Ladies Andover AC team just pipping the sub 2 hour mark.....

Take care

• Well done Blisters and RFJ and Mrs RFJ. Job done in all cases.

Rest day tomorrow and then back to commuting runs from Tuesday.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Apologies being late got back from the race late as the Organising clubs chief coach said to stick around as he thought my club might be in for a team prize. Then i had a little shift at work Back now. But first

Blisters well done esp beating Mr White

RFJ/Mrs RFJ well done to you both Good work

Postie nice long run I would of started thread but couldn't think of owt

Mel Batty 10km

Awake at 7 didn't want to get up but this is for Mel so up i got made myself an egg sandwich and set off Got there  had the normal pre race chit chat There used to be a Mel Batty 10 mile race and met  one guy who did 61 minutes for the 1990 race his plan was to run todays race in the same time My main goal was to beat my Horndon time which was 55:15 so going for 5;30 kms  

Just took each km at a time and tried to pass whoever was in front I knew some of the Marshalls all work for the same company so a bit of jokey banter as i passed near the end one whoom (is a good quality runner himself) i said saw your twin at the start he told me off stop talking (he was right) go catch them. One of them was (i thought) an ex club mate from a club we both were members of back in the late 80s so i try and chase did catch him but he wasn't  who i thought it was but got a nice final split which i thought was great

5:26
    5:26
    5:18
    5:10
    5:34
    5:31
    5:20
    5:29
    5:31
    4:53

53:41 finish not a pb but best time since 2008 which i  was pretty pleased with We didn't win team prize due to only 2 female runners from our club Awww schucks A lovely gesture Mels wife was there to hand out the prizes Sounds like they hope to run it again next year. I'll be there. Also met Marders - lovely chap spoke to him afterwards

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Pammieimage

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Great work Pammie! Great report and pleasing run! Yes, I had noticed Marders had won! Really good that you got your best time for 4 years: really pleased for you! Continue to train with consistent consistency, do a few more parkruns and I think your time will come down further. What's your all time PB?

And well done the RFJ team!

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Thanks RFJ/Alehouse

Alehouse funnily enough chatting to Marders i mentioned that "consistent consistency" is one of the things to do

All time pb 49:51 back in 2005 Will do another parkrun in 2 weeks and have entered the september LFOTM

• Blisters - committed to HM long before we got the wedding invite although with a race weekend before and after could easily have foregone that race.
    Cape Wrath Mara (my first and only) was also followed by a ceilidh and my wife's target for me was not any set time but to be still able to do a strip the willow after completing the marathon - I did image
    12 mile race next weekend also has a post race ceilidh

RFJs - good running - a nice touch Mrs RFJ taking away silverware in her first half

Pammie - well doone

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Pammie: just noticed Ceal's LFoM WAVA!
    Tom: if you are ever in London at lunch time on the last Friday of the month...

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Alehouse Yes she had a extremely good race this month

• TR: I followed your advice and rode the bike as if I had stolen it. Feck me, that was a push. Glad that there was Mr White Bike to chase. He reckoned that I just charged away ahead of him in the run. I know that my running is WAAAAAAY off pace. Well spotted. The swim has got more to come, there are easy gains there. 

RFJ: Now that is what I call a good race, and one that you should be proud of. Yes it was up and down, but that’s what makes them interesting. I’m especially pleased that you had a realistic target time and that there was a game plan appropriate for it. Your attitude to the way that the race developed showed a very mature attitude and a strong will. It appears that you were mentally in control all the way through to the finishing line. If you can do 1:26 on a rolling course, then with the same fitness level you can do better on a flatter one. (Thinks) Stroud,Bath, dunno aboutReading. FS Oxford’s flat, there MUST be another out there. BTW, what you called as cutting it fine, I called carefully managed. Shoot too hard, blow up, big embarrassment. 

Pammie: I’ve looked at those splits, and you will need to apologise for that one at 5:34. NOT acceptable. What were you thinking? Seriously, that was another well planned and well executed delivery. Others might have been slightly annoyed about the club “manager” mis-counting the number of entrants (what else do they do?) but you appeared to be sanguine about it. That moves you well up the ladder of people I respect.

Marders: Now there’s a bloke. I raced him once. He lapped me at Abingdon Marathon as I was jogging along with Plodding Hippo at the back. OK, so I did put a spurt on for a chat, but lasted barely 100m at the pace he was cracking out. He won it in 2:23 or something. That’s close to a National vest.

Other Half: Now that is what I call a plan that involves a whole life balance. 

OK
    Training (!) An hour at the swimming pool, with evil drills and sessions devised by an IronMan with a calf injury and a vendetta. Not many there, so we all got heavy scrutiny on stroke pattern and stuff. As a result I now have several muscle tightness areas that I am trying to relax with Hobgoblin and Talisker.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice post, Blisters.  And I trust that they are not in the same glass.

• Postie - nice long run.

Lyrics - yes.

Blisters - sounds like you had fun and are loving this new adventure.

RFJ - good work getting under 90 minutes and well done to Mrs RFJ.

Pammie - good on you - you're back!!

What: 28km 

Why: marathon training

Good running everyone

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Some great stuff going off

Blisters...sounds like you had an absolute blast at the tri...and lots more to come, yes?

Christine: is it Rotura time again

Pammie: Sounds like you had a good day down in Thurrock. I hope it becomes an annual thing as guys like Mel deserve to be remembered...I think at one time he held the world 10 mile track record (?).

RJF congrats on hitting the HM nail on the head, a target achieved, even if ever so slightly, is a still target achieved. Now that you've got your injury issues behind you, you've got something to build on.

Alehouse: London visits although frequent are rather haphazard as they are determined by the DB's (dearly beloved) work patterns. However I'll bear in mind your offer.

till tomorrow.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Tom he did. They did indicate there would be one next year = hope so

Blisters - I know bad of me think i was thinking about the approaching drinks station

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Blisters - when you get fitter, you will find that as a novice cyclist you dont yet have the legs to use the aerobic engine that running has given you, so you can afford to smack the bike as your legs wont let you ruin your run too much. I'm still not yet at the point of having to hold back on the bike at 1/2 IM, so anything below that and it really is ride it like you stole it. Fortunately cycling (esp turbo) seems to have a positive effect on running too. I surprised myself with an ok 1/2 mara last week off not much summer running.
    Keep plugging away, the journey is a rewarding one when you see swim and bike gains. I still get a wibble on in the water every race (not that I do many), but giving in to it would be more of a wibble. After all QLF.

• Tom - no not  Rotorua, Auckland marathon 28 October.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

evening all, 
    late post to congratulate Blisters on the silly stuff, RFJ (& Mrs) on the targets nailed and silverware and to Pammie on a well paced race, nice one!
    London with the family today, but back at a sensible hour so 8miles tempo(ish) at last light in just over an hour (60:15) - happy with that after yesterdays 14miler.