Options

Half Marathon in 4 weeks

Hi

Ive been asked if I want top do a half marathon at the end of september. The only problem is that I have not done any training for it.

I go running 3 - 4 times a week and do about 5 miles.

do you think it would be to much to do in 4 weeks. the most ive done is 10K

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hi Mick,

I am no expert, but have trained for halves on short notice, and learned a few lessons from injury. Here's my thoughts:

Are you saying you do 5 miles every run you do? So you're doing 15-20 miles per week?

If so then I would say you could do it, but don't push yourself too much on the day as you may risk injury.

In the next 4 weeks continue with your 5 mile runs 2-3 times per week, and I would say try and do 8.5 miles slowly next weekend, then maybe an easy 11 the weekend after. Don't be afraid to stop and walk, but do get the distance done. Don't do much in the week leading up to the race and I reckon you should be fine. Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

Bob
  • Options

Why do this one? Why not wait another month and give yourself time to train properly for a half? You are going to have to take it really easily if you are going to do it in four weeks without getting injured.

I wouldn't advise what Bob has suggested, but it is the only way to get the miles in in 4 weeks.