Monday 27th Aug 2012

RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

What do you do when your falling

Off to do Test Way Re;ay recce for my 9.1k leg and this song ties in nicely...

Take care

Comments

• Morning.

Caught up with yesterday's thread but that's all so if anyone would like to precis the week for me?

Sounds as though you enjoyed your first tri Blisters and had some good advice from TR - well done.

Great run from you too Pammie and RFJ and Mrs RFJ racing well too.

I had a fantastic week away and did loads of running and a fair bit of riding in beautiful countryside in good weather. Also was fortunate enough to sea kayak twice - big thanks to OH, something I won't forget in a hurry. Unfortunately now struck down with a strange lurgy - the right side of my face is swollen from eye to jaw after a couple of days of sore throat, swollen glands, headache and jaw ache on that side. Whilst it looks far worse now it thankfully feels better than it has.

What:           nothing
    Why:            see above
    Last hard:     leaving Orkney
    Last rest:      26/8 - though a full day travelling wasn't very restful.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Lyrics: no.

What: stretches, upper-body exercises, possibly a walk
    Why: day 7 fight the flab

Tom (and others): one of my 63 year old club mates has quite an interesting blog as he comments not only on the present, and growing old gracefully, but events of 25 years ago. I found the site difficult to get used to to start with: to find "old" blogs you have to scroll a long way down on the left hand side:
    http://terryrunningonempty.blogspot.co.uk/

Tom:  in case you didn't understand my reference yesterday, Serpentine running club put on a 5k at 12.30 on the last Friday of the month in Hyde Park. The last couple of months the date has changed, but from September is back to normal, I believe. I've done it a couple of times when in London. The website is an interesting one in itself. You have to enter in advance: http://www.serpentine.org.uk

LMH: welcome back, and glad you had a good week.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • What: just work all day

Why: No Bank holiday here!

Last Hard: Saturday

Last rest: yesterday

LMH glad you're home safely but sorry to hear about the bug

Windy today and due to get worse

• Hey Folks

Blisters: your hooked! Good effort 

LMH Welcome back and hope your better soon

RFJ / Pammie: Nice racing.

what: Cycled 25 miles at dawn, swam 1.6K at lunch and will run 10 - 13K with club tonight.

Why: It just panned out like that
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Last Rest: yesterday 

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse: Been reading Terry's blog - fascinating stuff, his love of the sport simply jumps off the page at you. Didn't realise who he was until I saw his surname. Yesterday I posted a skittish comment on a thread in General Training "Which are the best running blogs on the web?". Terry's is the antithesis of the stuff I was complaining about.

Easy 5.9 miles around Queens Park, felt less battered than expected. Doing the old trick of measuring relative speed by seeing how much every lap you're making up on people running in the opposite direction!

LMH - sounds like you had a fab time in the Orkneys, despite the infection.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Tom: I particularly like Terry's title, ("Running on Empty") as it certainly rings a bell, and also the sub-heading, "My running thoughts and observations...past, present and what future I have left."

Cold and wet here: no cricket yet again...indeed, am tempted to put the heating on.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • LMH - you'd find it a lot easier to leave Orkney today - gales and rain++

• I'll have to come back and bring the sun with me again OH. Not that I could do much outdoors at the moment. Would love to know what this strange malady is.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

evening all
    LmH - hope the lurgy soon passes
    AleH - thanks for the link...something else to read...

what - 4.6 miles easy
    why  - recovery day

lyric - not sure i do 

• Hello.

I haven't been in here in ages. Was away for an extended weekend in Killarney - real touristy area of the Green Isle. Great family weekend and didn't get a chance to report but raced an Olympic distance triathlon. I suppose raced is a dodgy description in the circumstances but i was there and took part. The race itself had a few organisational difficulties (which the organisers recognise and are going to sort out for next year) - if they sort them this could really be a big event and be Triathlon's "Ballycotton 10".

The race was run in conjunction with a full Ironman distance event which was a massive undertaking - especially as the roads close to the town are quite busy, and with the marshalling required very ambitious. That said i'd give them a pass and encourage them to continue - whether both on the same day or not maybe the question.

The setting - the swim was in the lakes of Killarney - unbelievably great venue for the swim - however the water in the lake is dark due to the turf in the bog areas through which the approaching rivers flow - a bit like swimming in a lake of Guinness. The Bike was an out and back course which was good and ok for traffic except for the last mile which was fairly busy. The run was 10k around the Killarney National Park which was good but suffered a bit due the preceding heavy rain - the KM markers were washed away!!.

Anyway - the story of my race (and anytime I go to do a Tri there is a story!!!).

Jumped into the lake - fantastic - the morning light made the setting seem even better - the mist was on the mountains but the weather was fair and still. We started and headed for the first marker. The water was calm generally but there was a little bit of a chop around the first marker. I got a little bit disorientated and it really took me a good while to get used to the open water, even resorting to a unique breaststroke/ backstroke pattern for a while, getting a few quare looks. Midway I settled down, looked around to see only a few behind me and discovered that i was heading at what seemed like 90 degrees to the course.

Gathered myself and started swimming. Spent the last half of the swim flying past people and left the water middle of the pack.

Headed to T1, decent enough change over and headed off on the bike. Overtook a few on the bike, and was overtaken by one, and felt OK. Towards the end of the cycle I began to feel my knee giving out.

After T2 as I stared to run felt very dodgy but after a few 100 metres settled down. The run course was good but had no distance markers (see above). After about 8k, having passed another 4 to 5 people leg started to give up and the rain of all biblical tales started to fall. The finish was uphill and i was truly hobbling but more in discomfort that pain. Finished 10th.

Crossed the line and the "fight or flight" theory was proven to me. A few minutes after the finish I was in so much pain from my leg that I felt physically sick. It proves that the race adrenalin really blanked out the pain.

After the customary male Irish fight against it I succumbed to my wife's desire to seek medical opinion and help. After an afternoon in the hospital i was issued with a pair of crutches and a tube bandage and instructions to rest for a while and physiotherapy the name of the game. A close inspection and xray thankfully showed no bone or ligament damage so all good on that front. What was the cause of the pain -  no distinct diagnosis but some sort of a jar to the knee or a hangover from my crash of a few weeks ago - don't forget i hadn't run in anger for three weeks.

Anyway it's doctors orders for a while - maybe start swimming in a few days (there is improvement already).

• Despite my two less than glorious attempts to date I will be back for more attacks on the tri next year. I did enjoy it and feel that i can improve a lot yet.

Off now to read back to see who else has a story.

• Evening

Couldn't get on earlier due to net not connecting this morning.

Need to catch up.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Great report Paddy,  and hope the knee recovers quickly.

Wondered where you'd been, Birks!

• Blimey Paddy - hope you recover quickly.

Thanks Dustin - strange and annoying illness seems to be the theme of my year image

Did you get any cricket Alehouse? I see references to 'fight the flab' and the continued battle of the achilles - has there been a change whilst I was away?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Paddy, recover soon and well, great report, but it is strange how the body blocks it out when racing....

Birks connection issues gave me a rare chance to open.... thank youimage

5.72m of the 6th leg of the Test way relay recce'd, a good route, help out mucker on teh 8th leg which was a tad harder and both of us got wet at the end, gave me another 1m to my totals....

Was really good though as ran my leg with Jnr.... only problem with that was he is fast even at his slow now.... and I had yesterdays half in my legs.... so was a tad faster than planned and not exactly recovery... but good to talk and run with Jnr...

Take care

BTW a clue for the artist for todays lyrics.... he was in the Olympic opening ceremony.

• Evening all

What rest
    Why monday
    Lyrics no

A day of complete nothingness

Yesterdays lyrics were Bowie's "Let's dance"

Back to work tomorrow.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

LMH: no chance of any cricket! Wet, wet, wet! My local club are bemoaning the fact that every game since June has been rain affected...and today there was no play, again. Decided about a week ago that I should do some gentle upper-body work (still not easy as my neck still isn't 100%), hence, "Fight the flab". Have put on over a stone since the turn of hte year. Re Achilles, much improved over the last few days....mustn't speak too soon, and still not as good as 3rd August.
    And re your illness: have you taken any anti-histamine? A few years ago my face was so swollen I was admitted to hospital where they pumped me full of antibiotics: my dad took one look and said give him some anithistamine and it went down in no time! He had had something similar at some point.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Paddy oh dear hope you are better soon

Thanks for the well dones found out tonight via Twitter that marders did 5000m on the track the night before the 10km incredible

recovery run tonight - that was hard

What: 3.23 miles
    Why recovery
    Last hard that was
    Lyrics no but sure i should

• Pammie - Marders is a NZer isn't he?

LMH - Isn't it awful when you have such a wonderful time and then come down with something - it's almost as if you're not allowed to enjoy yourself!

alehouse I had a look at the blog - he's been going a long time!

Paddy - certainly looks like you can push through the pain barrier.

What: 4.5 miles Cornwall Park

Why: Beautiful spring afternoon - baby lambs with their mothers in the paddocks, daffodils growing, lovely conditions.

Good running everyone.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

NZC - He is image 

• PaddyURM - entertaining and colourful report. Hope you knee recovers soon.

The scenery could have been beautiful too (had you been able to see it)
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Alehouse been looking at the blog. His name rings bells can't think why though as i live in a different neck of the woods