Insanity Workout

Comments

• Hello    Well its nearly a week since my ultra.   Got round in a very comfortable 12 hours.  Now I know what to expect I think I could do sub 10 hours easy.

So insanity starts next week.

• I did an insanity session yesterday but the official start day is today as I have to make sure Sunday is my insanity rest day as i have double runs on a Sunday (am and pm) so couldn't do insanity on that day aswell. My husband is doing it with me which is good as we keep each other going. Have taken my measurements and my weight etc so am ready to DIG DEEP image
  • Hi all.  Am back in the Uk now a couple of days and have done all those chores essential for normal "working life" to resume!  I am intending to get a solo benchmark run in tomorrow, or perhaps Thursday evening to get a feel as to where i am after the holiday alcohol and relative inactivity.  I will look to bang in a few testing runs and then start to set a winter training program wit a few running buddies.  I want to start the Insanity program as well so might just wait a while for the nights to draw in a bit (just wana enjoy the sun outside a bit more).  I have the Hellrunner Up North booked, as well at The Spartan soon after, so need to get stamina up for that.  I plan also for another ultra so will try and hook up with Spen71 for some North Kent training.

• wow you guys are definitely a bit crazy but i like it!! i am in my last week of the 8week course for insanity, and feeling good! again, not so much on the losing weight front but defo feeling much fitter and my running as always is improving. i did an 8km yesterday straight after max cardio & abs workout and did that in 50mins and the route inlcuded a few hills so i am very happy with that time. i am doing the london duathlon on 9th sept so i have 2 weeks after this 8 week course to work a bit on that but i think i will start month 1 of the insanity course again and double up the workouts with my running/cycling and swimming for the london triathlon on 23rd sept! epic times ahead and feeling good!

DIG DEEP!!!!

• Hi people.

Im thinking of giving this insanity programme a go myself. Have tried reading as much of the thread as l can without going through every post.

What have you guys and girls noticed as the main improvements in your fitness and physique?

i'll be perfectly honest, the kind of results im looking for is to be the number one man on the beach that will raise the ladies heartbeats. Will Insanity do this for me if l follow it to the t?

I already work out in the gym and am reasonably slim but what l would like is a lot more definition and to be "cut"

Also is there anyway l can avoid forking out 100 quid for the privilege? image

Thanks in anticipation.

• GE21 - if you follow the workout and the diet you will see and feel a marked differance BUT I would suggest perhaps doing the programme twice to really hone in the mussel deffinition. It will be hard but worth it.  Remember that you should start off at your own pace as opposed to keeping up with ST and the machines.  Build up.  I saw a marked body shape change in me (already slim and fit) - my torso frame, shoulders, biceps and legs.  Most of all my cardio went through the roof.  Effect was that I ATE the 3 PEAKS Challenge.

As for the cost - you get what you pay for.  It works providing you keep at it.  Those who buy it and expect immediate effects and blow out because they just don't hack the effort needed, get angry at having had the cost.  Others, who work at it, and get the results, are content with the cost.  If you can find someone with the discs who isn't running the program for a while, borrow it if you can.

You will have loads of support from those on this thread dude.

• Hi 

Back from my more than 2 weeks in the sun feeling refreshed and just a little unfit haha! Hello everyone and  Amanda/Gareth hope you are getting on ok with insanity image

I have got a half marathon in 5 weeks so in the meantime I am just going to do insanity a couple of times a week so I can concentrate on my running. Then after that I have decided to do another round of insanity to maintain the results and see if I can improve. Cant believe I am saying this but I actually missed doing the workouts on holiday and feeling the burn!!

Gareth dont' know how it is for the guys but gotta say as a woman I dont think I have ever been so defined in my life. My guess however is for guys you will probably need to do a upper body workout with weights at the gym as well if you want to build muscle - although on the deluxe package of insanity there is a weights workout which he recommends you do a couple times a week in addition to the other workouts. 

• Right.

Im gonna get this thing then. A portion of Septembers pay cheque has insanity written on it!

• I am on week 2 and loving it was up at 6am to do it today.love it and hate it at the same time lol
  • Get in there GE21 you will see the results in no time if you put the effort in.

Welcome AB - good to see your enthusiasm.  You might hit low spots BUT you have a great support team here.

• hi all! ok some bad news, i missed the last 2 days of week 8 whcih included the fit test but i was not so sad as i managed a good brick training session that involved an 8km run and a 28km cycle, throw in a few bad meals lastweek for those socials you get lumped with and i missed my sessions. regardless, i have decided to crack round 2 of the insanity starting yesterday with the fittest and the plyo dvd...am definitely feeling a lot fitter than i was when i last did the month 1 plyo and this mornings cardio power was fun despite having fairly tired legs. my cardio is getting really strong and i am seeing visible difference in the shape of my legs. still carrying a bit around the waist but iam hoping that round 2 of insanity will crank that out...

duathlon next weekend in richmond so doing a bit of running and cycling as well!

well done peeps!!!

• I have to admit being only on week 2 of month 1 I am petrified about month two image I am going to Dubai in just under 2 weeks and am taking the DVDs with me I think it will be ok in an air conditioned room image the only thing I think I will begin to struggle with is doing this and ultra training. I had Sunday as a rest day from insanity and did two runs totaling 19 miles instead lol. Madness !! Am loving it though and look forward to it every morning . Think I have the fit test again on Monday so will post my updated results . Can already see results in my running had a threshold session tonight with 5X 6 mins at threshold and was doing them 30 seconds per mile (average) quicker than before so really pleased.

Well done to everyone and thank you all for the warm welcome
  • Well I have started it.   Did the Plyo cardio and struggled towards the end but battled on.   Did the abs one last night as wanted to see what it is like.    I think i may have struggled tonight due to doing 6 x 800m at 3.20 off 2 mins image.

I doubt I will be able to do it "properly" until Novemeber when I get more time to do it but will just dip my toe in a few times a week.

• My husband just showed me the max stuff all I can say is OMG

That is all
  • @ Spen - mate that is crazy to do those 800m laps LOL!! good effort though! i have started round 2 and finding that i can almost get through the entire workouts with missing only a few reps so i'm defo happy with that. added to that doing a few short runs and spin classes during the week i am feeling my cardio getting stronger. 

@ AB - LOL its killer, def take the recovery week, its well worth it. i missed out on mine because of timing but wish i had taken the week off because the difference is quite drastic! ENJOY!!!! image

• Max is month two image looks epicly painful
  • i am having to put the insanity on hold for a short bit with my duathlon this week and the triathlon a few weeks after that. there is no doubt it has helped my fitness but i need to focus a bit more on the cycling and running and swimming over the coming weeks and then smash some more insanity after that! very excited to see my results compared to last year! GET IN!!!! 

keep at it guys!!! 

• ok i am barely alive after that duathlon over the weekend, I fear i might have missed a few tricks in my training program, namely starting the insanity program a bit too late to give me time to also focus on longer running/cycling. I did my first 10km run in a slow 1hr 5mins but i was feeling good despite the pounding hit and immenant dehydration. onto the bike for 2 laps of richmond park totalling 22kms and my calfs were starting to cramp from lack of proper rehydration and changing the hight of my saddle by 1.5inches that morning. dismounting my bike was an exercise in itself as my legs gave way under the bad cramps now in hamstrings and thighs as well, this was going to be a tough 5km run to finish the day in 28 degree heat! i ended up walking most of the first 2.5kms and ran most of the last half to finish with 41mins for the 5km. I was gutted because i felt i couldve done better had i focused a bit more on my running in the month leading up to the race seeing as that is by far and above my weakest discipline. Insanity definitely helped me improve my technique and my cardio but i needed more brick training with the bike/run and more timeon the tarmac.

lessons learnt but i will still stick by insanity and i will be restarting my round 2 shortly after my londno triattlon next weekend and use it to help me prepare for hellrunner down south on 13th november!

any comments/advise welcome!!! image

hope you are all going strong!!!

DIG DEEPER!!!

• YOU WILL LOVE HELLRUNNER. DoneSouth x2, Middle x1 and doing North this year. Check out links..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKdg1zUcHeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRHIiNH3FPc

Yep that's me in the mankini.

• hahahaha Hens you crack me up mate! i will have to watch those when i get home (work blocks youtube site!)

I have done a few crazies, the grim challenge (not as tough as the hellrunner i hear) and also the tough guy in wolverhampton, that my friend was epically mad in the head! it was so cold at the end of jan 2010 that there was a 2 inch layer of friggin ice to brake through for those dumb enough to be in the lead! hahaha good fun in the end but freeeeezing cold after full submersion in said water! literally saw stars twinkling in a black blur! crazy!

• I am now on recovery week. I re did one week because I missed a day and felt bad lol. Problem is i have my ultra at the end of my first week of month 2 so not sure how that will go. I am going to do one and see how I go. If it is too much I will do another week of month one and then go to month 2 the Monday after the ultra. In other news however I have thanks to insanity and some hard running training managed to get my 10k pb under the hour. (something which has eluded me for 2years) and my half marathon pb went down my 7 minutes at the great north run. I am at the robin hood half this weekend are any of you there. ?
  • woohoo well done Amanda, thats awesome work! glad to hear that the insanity is helping so much, just imagine what it will be like after month 2? i think you shoud take it easy before the ultra and then crack on with it again after a bit of rest post-ultra! or at least i would do something like that but once you are feelnig the buzz its hard to reign it in

i completed my london triathlon on sunday and improved my overall time by 20mins from the same event last year. I was very happy when i got my time of 2hrs 55mins. my 10km run however was still very slow at 66mins and am aiming to improve on that time by about 10mins when i crack it agani next year.

for now though, i am doing the kingston 8 miler on 14 oct, and then hellrunner in november. focusing on the running side now and will crack on with some more insanity after hellrunner (or before if i can get round to it inbetween running)

good things people!

• Hi all,

Thank god I found a website where I can follow a thread on the insanity programme for UK users.

Have taken time to read all the post... Which took me a while. And thought I would add to this.

I am 30 yrs old. Up until the age of 22 my exercise regime was non existent. At my heaviest weight I weighed 21 stone. I wasn't an active person and my love for food was literally making me explode. I lost the weight steadily over the year by joining the gym and eating healthy. I eventually got to about 16 stone. My belly still wobbled and didn't feel great.

I found this personal training shop that I joined and started training with them 3 times a week and in the gym for 7 days doing light cardio. I struggled for the whole 3 months. The working out was fine but the nutrition was a killer. For 3 months all I ate was tuna, rice, veg with protein shakes and shit loads of supplements. The guys at the gym said this was they best way. They had fantastic stories of clients who had amazing transformations. I lost in total 2.5 stone. Body fat reduced and I will looking good. I was paying ??22.50 a session, spending a good amount of money on the supplements and not eating good. After taking 1 week off for a holiday I came back and tried to get back into it. I had my breakfast of 4 hard boiled eggs, whites only, all bran, soya milk and water with udos oil n greens i vomited it all out and thought I cannot carry on With the nutrition and spending loads of money. When I am committed I am hard core on it. But I just couldn't continue.

Within a year I gained weight to just under 14 stone. I theft abroad for 5 weeks and ate like mad. I know, self destruction. Just before I went away I saw insanity on sky, and I thought this is it. I spent a good few months researching every ??ebsite I could find, you tube etc.... And decided I wanted it.

Purchased it when I returned at the end of August after my holiday.

I was hyped up, shopped for the food and got ready. Now as I teach as a profession in a college, my times or working a varied with teaching late night, I had to start on a Thursday, meaning I would have Wednesdays off due to working 8.30 - 9pm and I wouldn't have had the energy to workout at 9.30pm

So these are my stats for when I started week 1.

Weight - 228 lbs.

Calories for nutrition - 2000

Waist 42.5 inches

Hips 45.5 inches

Thighs 24inches

Biceps 14.5

Now people say I don't look fat, I have a belly that needs to go and an ass. Also the jeans I buy are either 36-38 waist and they fit so was a little surprised at the waist result. I am not one of those that squeeze myself into clothes and let it hang out or buy smaller clothes than I actually need.

So fit test results

Switch kicks 50

Power jacks 38

Power knees 62

Power jumps 20

Globe jumps 9

Suicide jumps 8

Push up jacks 10

Low plank oblique 18

So week one starts off good. I am sweating loads, having to stop in between to rest. But somehow getting addicted. 4 days go by and you can see my face is starting loose the chubby ness. People at work are commenting my face is getting slimmer. Day 5 comes which is a Monday for me, Pure cardio - I am dying as I start. Wishing why is was hard. Go to squat down and back goes into spasm. Try and cool down and is a no go. I go and pop a pill, deep heat and hot water bottle. Gutted!

So go to work like and I am hobbling around like an idiot. Luckily I have a sport department at work, the guy checks me over, says its in spasm. He stretches me out, massages me and puts on a tens machine, pain has gone but still slightly twitching. Get told to rest and no workout.

Am gutted as I was getting into it. Decide to still follow the nutrition plan. Weigh myself and 5lb down. So am a little happy.

Comes to Su
  • Comes to Sunday and my back is ok. So decide Monday I am going to work out. Even though this would have been week 2, I stopped mid week 1, so I carried on with where I left off. Pure cardio. Took it easy with squats for back. So far so good. Week 1 ends and week 2 starts. Weigh in at 221lbs. Loving it. Feelling good. Am in week 2 and day 4. Cardio recovery is what I needed. Will probably update on a weekly basis and will upload pics as I go.
  • Well done Brett what a brilliant time. I have never been brave enough to do a triathlon the swimming outside bit scares me slightly.

Waqqas well done to you too it is addictive

I am taking the advice and this week am going to do fit test today normal insanity prob pure cardio on Tuesday and Wednesday on Thursday I will do tue recovery as normal and then have Friday off. Saturday is my ultra do I will have Sunday off and then provided my legs are up to it I plan on either starting max on the Monday or doing another week of recovery and then max training starts the following week.

I have another ultra on the 1st November 54 miles this time.

Also yesterday I knocked another 5.5 mins off my half time and took it down to 2:12:34 so very chuffed
  • Hi all...yet another one joining the Insanity Train.....just waiting for the dvd's to turn up...started getting fit April this year after some 22 years after leaving the forces and am now 8kg lighter but realising running is not the be all and end all of fitness...I have got myself to running overload and over training...Ran 145 miles in August, did a strongman run (18km) and then gave myself a inguinal hernia which has since be operated on and has healed well...

I am reasonably happy with my weight but really wanting to tone up, if I lose/gain some weight ..so be it...but like I say it's more that I am intrested in toning up than anything else.

I have a very active job and burning 2000-2500 calories a day at work is not uncommon but rarely do I do any cardio type excercise...so am really looking forward to taking on a new challenge that I can combine with running, x-skating etc. Am prepared to put the other training on a back burner for the 60 just so I can give it my undivided attention (hey I'm a bloke and multitasking baffles me image ).

I have just spent an afternoon trawling through this thread and it has been a real eye opener and I look forward to joining in and posting in the near future.

So until the posty rings...ta-ta for now...

Cheers Dave (The Netherlands).

• HI ALL!

Bad comms all round my side! been off the radar busy as and trying to crack some good running and all that jingo! after the first 60 day session , i stopped and focused on a few races and now im just working on my running and aiming to start up again in december, or early january. can definitely feel the difference from not doing it (neighbours complained about the noise though!?? go figure)

looking forward to getting back in it!

• Am looking at getting into this myself. although I already have a fairly packed weekly schedule as I play ice hockey at a reasonable level and train 4 times a week. Do you reckon its ok to miss days and just do my ice hockey training on those days and just push the workouts back a day? Have worked this out - just means I'll take 2 months 3 weeks instead of 2 months to do it all. 

• Hi all.

Must admit i have read some interesting threads about the Insanity workout but still need some advice..... this is where hopefully you guys come in and help please.

I am 29 and have always been concious about my body and the way it looks. I am not the biggest of people and weigh between 10.5 and 11 stone. I joined the gym AGAIN for the first time in a few years to do something about my physique, muscle tone/bulk etc. There has been results but the same routine coupled with the fact that the gym is crap and that it is always busy means i often never get a full workout. With the Insanity work out i am worried about losing what little weight i already have. I am totally ready to immerse myself if this will provide me with definition and extra muscle i am looking for. I hope this will help me to feel better about myself, please guys i look forward to your advice.

Thanks

Adam