Run with or against the traffic?

On training runs I always run against the traffic, because that's what I was taught as a kid.

I've noticed on the only race I've done where roads were open that we ran with the traffic.

Which is right? I'm mainly worried about my training runs, I've passed other runners doing both options so I'm still none the wiser.

I guess when I as which is right I'm asking from a high way code point of view.

Comments

• Training runs - against; races - whatever the organisers tell you.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

You should normally run facing the on-coming traffic - ie. on the right hand side of the road in the UK.

In a race you should follow the instructions of the marshals.

• Facing the traffic down most roads is best but out on country roads round tight blind bends you may find it better on the outside of the bend.  In a race as they say the marshalls have the say, or racing line when it's clear.

• JF50 wrote (see)

Facing the traffic down most roads is best but out on country roads round tight blind bends you may find it better on the outside of the bend.  In a race as they say the marshalls have the say, or racing line when it's clear.

+1 to this. Against on straights, and outside of the bend/middle of the road at a bend. On narrow country roads sometimes it is best to act like a car. But whatever you do, if you're running on these roads, take your headphones out and make sure that you can hear the cars coming and get out of the way.