Sub 3h15

Comments

• Mara PB is 3:12 as a training run in the howling winds and rain at Manchester marathon earlier this year after 4 weeks out with injury and 2 weeks gentle running as a comeback. I'm convinced that a consistent campaign will see me under the threshold however, your points above about weather and feelings on the day are spot on.
  • FW, I think someone in RW land has been reading your last post. Just been spammed by loads of email thread notifications....
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Interesting chat on the ultras - I'm contemptating my next ultra adventure.  Needless to say I want to do Comrades again but would probably have some difficulties to justify the costs at home.  Lakeland 50 looks a good challenge so I would have some interest to do it over the next few years.  Also the North Downs 50 looks appealling and more in my local area.  No decision so far - maybe I'll procasinate so long that they'll be full by the time I decide.

Then there is that 100mile in 24 hours itch waiting to be scratched.....

Sorry to hear your troubles Mennania.

Nice victory Speedy - you chicked them all!

Nice 20.01 miles for me on the Sunday in 7:46 pace when I was supposed to be running easy but drifting into MP and much faster on the downhills.  Hopefully an indication of increasing speed rather than poor self control.

• Well done on that 10k Fraser.

Nice golden boots & win Speedy! I think the sub 3 debate is interesting. Aswell as a physical barrier there is a big mental one too. I've found this out this summer trying to get sub 30 minutes for 5 miles. To be fair I'm only seconds out (9 at the moment) in getting it and nearly there, but at the same time I wonder if that mental barrier has played a part in me not getting it?

Doesn't sub 3 hour come out at 6.52 pace?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

KR - yes, I would agree. Sub 3 is extremely close to 6:52 m/m pace (6:51.92) and would bring you home in 3:00:02.125. So to the nearest second, the required pace is much closer to 6:52 than 6:51. Of course, this all assumes you run exactly 26 miles 385 yards image

• That's another can of worms Gul! Getting your pace right and then running 26.6 miles and just missing out on your goal time even though pace was right!

• Dont trust the Garmin!

Just got back from my open water swim coaching session. Not sure if I enjoyed it or not but it was very productive.

Tired and have a stomach full of lake water.... hic
  • It'd be a brave chap/chappess who sets out at exactly 6.51 with sub 3 goal ! When I got mine (by the grand total of 4 seconds !) I was aiming for 6.40 pace from the start - of course I prob over relied on the GPS and was prob doing more like 6.45 or so. In reality it all has to be down to feel on the day. In May I set off at 6.40 , felt crap by 8 miles but still thought I could just balls it out. Big mistake !

Lesson is to respect the conditions on the day and try to make sensible mid race adjustments as needed. Ahhhh---- that's what makes it so intersting and why we all keep coming back for more eh

Did you swallow some plankton and a couple of used "sheaths" SJ ??!!

• I reckon you need to run 6.45s on the Garmin to get sub 3, and my Garmin pace at VLM was 7.10. There is no way on this earth I'm taking off 25 seconds per mile in just 6 months, so behave, the lot of you! 

• That's us told Speedy!image

Thankfully not FW, bleurgh.
  • Totally agree Speedy, I think you need to be cuising a good few seconds inside target pace to be confident enough to nail your goal time. Garmins are great tools, but can't be relied on for 100% accuracy. Add that to the old running over distance senario and you need to build in a time nest egg.

Tough sesion down the track tonight of 10 x 800m reps off 1 minute recoveries. It got increasingly harder - which was good in a strange way! Pace came at av 2.51 with a few 2.49's and a  final 2.45.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Only you will know how close you can get to 3 hours Speedy, many of us have tried and failed several times so if you don't think it's possible this time it probably isn't.

Meanwhile my garmin is usually pretty reliable. It read 6.27 for tonights Blyth 10k and with some minor changes they made ,to the course I think they might well have got it wrong. Anyway I ran 36:48 (c.5:52 pace) in a fairly strong cross wind and came 9th overall. Although the time and position are an improvement on last year I struggled in the last 2 miles and didn't feel on top form. Lack of race practice I suspect and a couple of light weeks and over eating. Anyway I hope there is more in the tank for Sundays 10 miler- I'm predicting sub 62 on a tough course in the Tyne valley.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

OO I was at Blyth tonight too.  It was much bigger than I expected. I didn't have the best run but there again I wasn't expecting too.  I got caught up a lot on the narrow paths with lots of runners.  I went with the flow for the first half and had a good 4th mile but then I wish we'd stayed on the road instead of going back onto that undulating path.  I think the April 10k course is quicker.  Anyway finished in 44:38. image  But the first lady was over 40 mins and the third one was 42:xx so I'm hoping I got a good placing.   Well done to you.  image   Sorry I didn't see you.  I was with Alnwick Harriers and we went to the pub for the buffet afterwards too.  Blyth put on a good show.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice winning Speedy

Nice drinking SJ

Nice placing Minnii & OO

Nice training KR

BI I'd say 100m in 24h is well within the bounds of anyone who can do a mara in the region of 3.15, certainly on the flat. Big hills make it much harder plus there's the issue of night navigation.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

KR - good set of 800m intervals.
    OOlg - that's an excellent result, especially if you weren't feeling on top form!
    Minni - Doesn't sound like the easiest of courses; good running.
    4 mile plod for me this morning. I'm glad I haven't got a Garmin to make me even more confused about how long a lap of the park isimage

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Can't believe I missed you again Minni. First lady was Claire McManus (?) our finest- and she wasn't happy either with the course or conditions. The new route wasn't great but I run it most Sundays so at least I know it well. The race was also the start of our Gran Prix and the club 10k championship so NSP were out in force. Not Often I get 5 of our club guys ahead of me (6 of the top 9 places)- I suspect we'll win the Senior and Vets team race, and some great new talent coming through including young Mr Wallet (son of Tony who owns Start Fitness). 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes OO I think you got all the top places. That's a great stretch to do your training runs on.  I'm quite envious.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

r u doing the tynedale 10 Minni?

• Great racing OO. Sounds like you had a good placing too Minni. Good work all round for a midweek outing

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

No OO. I did consider it but chose the 10k instead.  I'm half wishing I'd entered now though because I'd quite like to do it.  I'm now dreading the GNR.  Not enough speedwork (ie virtually none) and not enough races under my belt. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've been looking on ebay- plenty of entries for GNR but usually pen C (orange) which is too slow for me.

Cheers Fraser.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Too much to read back with a barking dog in the room. Will quickly say well done on your win, Speedy! And on your very fast 10K, OO, and your placing, Minni.

Had my second session with the leggy Impalas and seem to be improving fitness-wise.  We did 4-6 x 1M repeats w/60 sec recoveries up and down a hill in the middle of GG Park.  I only did 4 when I felt my Achilles pulling a bit so stopped.  Shame as the first ones were feeling nice and comfortably hard around the 6:20m/m with only a 10 sec slow down for the downhill leg.  It definitely helps to run with lots of faster others in terms of pacing!  I was probably in the 3rd fastest group of 5 or so image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

OO -  I'm keeping an ear open here for you but none of our blokes entered.  Can the Twaddler not find you one?

MsE -  sounds like you're quickly getting your speed back!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

OO - I read that Mo's twins have been born.  He might not get a pass for the day... image tweet him and get first option of his number!! image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

MsE - Good to see your speed is still there.
    Third and final go at my favourite Magic Mile session this morning - 800m, 600m, 400m and 2x200m intervals starting at goal pace and increasing with 1:1 recoveries (i.e however long the previous interval took). Started off slightly more conservatively than last time and finished stronger image Paces (with a pinch of salt) were:
    800m @ 5:46 m/m
    600m @ 5:22 m/m
    400m @ 5:06 m/m
    200m @ 4:50 m/m
    200m @ 4:34 m/m
    Looking forward to seeing how I do next week; going to aim for around 5:38 i.e. 84s per 400m.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

At least I'd be guaranteed a good start position Minni!

How youy can run that fast early doors is a mystery to me Gul- I don't get going until mid morning .

Results are up, I was 1st V45 in the Blyth 10k. 9th overall from 263. No golden boots for me though- as a free local clubs race there were no prizes image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I've just got back from a rehearsal.  I ran 5M this morning, getting back on topic.

• Liverpool to Tate gallery and then Manchester to the Lowry exhibition. Get me and my culture vulturing! Also been to the pool to practice new drills. Made a big difference already. image

No running though til Sunday image