Ran 10 miles 3 months before the GSR...what now?

Hi,

Brief backstory. I was goaded into running the GSR by a friends and started training in May. From then I've built myself up from 1.5 miles to 10 miles last weekend. Ran a 10k in the middle to give me something to focus on.

So on Saturday I ran 10.2 miles in 1h 27m, which is 3 under the time I guessed on my entry form. Aching knees the next day, and obviously tired, but OK.

I've got till the end of October now, so what do you think would be better? Train for a quicker time? Or make it more comfortable for myself?

Then, how should I go about it? I've played my training by ear, but am pleased with the results so far.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Just keep running! Do some hill training,short speed runs and long slow runs.kinda mix things up a bit...

Don't over do it on the distance,would run to 9 miles in training and your get faster

Well done
  • It is always good to run over distance in training and certainly reccommended by the 'experts' on here. This helps build your endurance. Running shorter distances will help your pace.

With three months to go, if you focus on this one event by the time it comes round you'll be fed up and burnt out. Find an event that sounds fun for about 6 weeks time. Say another 10k or 5 miler. This will take the focus off your main event.

In the meantime structure your training if you haven't already. As you ran your first 10 miler last weekend at something similar to your race pace I would make sure that this week is an easy week and that your long run at the weekend is only 6 miles. This will allow your body to recover and is an important part of training that should not be skimped on or over looked.
    Now start to build the milage back up, say 8 miles, 9 miles, 10 miles all ran at a very easy pace - say take 2 hrs for your 10 mile run. There is nothing wrong with running slowly and it has many benifits. You are not over exerting yourself and you are conserving energy for the rest of your weeks training. After your 10 miler have an easy week, the following weekend is a good time to enjoy a race. You don't need to race flat out, you should aim to run it at your anticipated 10 mile race pace. Maybe 8:40 - 8:50 m/m based on your training pace.
    In addition to your long runs you will need to do shorter runs of about 1/2 - 2/3 distance of your long run. One of these - your easy or recovery run, another a faster run - steady or tempo. This run will help you with your pace during your race.

After this race you can build a little on the mileage of your long runs: 10 miles; 11 miles; 12 miles - follow this by another easy week. Keep doing your other two runs at 1/2 - 2/3 long run distance. If you are doing 4 runs a week then you can add intervals or hills or if you prefer to cross train such as gym; cycling or swimming to help your overall fitness and stamina without the impact on the legs that you get from running then do that.

You'll probably get loads more advice, some of it quite conflicting. I tink it's a case of reading around enough and finding what sits well with you and you life.

• Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice and support.

In May when I started, I entered a 10k in early June to make sure that I got on with things. Ran 3 times a week (along with one kickboxing session) and really ramped it up. Did the 10k in 50m 10s (was gutted I didn't get under 50, but did get a cold that week).

After a week off, the next month was spent getting up to 8 miles. This was with two  shorter runs in the week, then a long one at the weekend. Times came down, especially my 3 mile (21s 41s now), as I learned I could attack that one. I was a sprinter for Hampshire, and only stopped 4 years ago, so it was far easier for me to go at pace and attack a shorter distance. Had to really concentrate on heel striking over longer distances.

After that, I just decided to go for it and see what I could do. So I did the 10 mile. Really pleased with how it went and knowing I can do the distance has given me a lot of confidence. 

I think there is another 10k near me in mid September. So I could use that as my next target. Make sure to get under 50m this time!! I feel a lot more cofident since I've now ran way further, plus I remember looking at my watch 6 miles into the 10 mile, and noticing I'd beaten my 10k time! That was nice to see.

Only problem is, now I've got football and kickboxing in the week. So I'm going to run on Monday, kickboxing Wednesday (good for stretching, and can be quite carido intensive), Football (40 mins of effectively fartlek?),then a longer run on Saturdays. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Feeling the fittest I have since I stopped sprinting. It's a good feeling. 

Once the GSR is complete, I'll be replacing most of my working out weights, as I want to look good for my wedding next year. But now I've built up this fitness, I'll keep it ticking over with at least a run a week. That's a little way off yet though!

• Been slack for a couple of weeks (sorting out my wedding!), but dusted off the cobwebs and did 7.4 miles in 59 minutes this morning. Very pleased! Next run is at the weekend. Football and kickboxing before then though!!

• So in short with your football and KB you can run twice a week? Saturday and Monday?

You've got 2 months left to train. That's 6 weeks effective training and 2 weeks to taper.

I would alternate between 60 and 90 mins on your Saturday run with an interval or tempo run on the Monday after the 60 mins run (say either 10 x 400m with 100m jog recoveries or 10 x2 min fast efforts, 20 mins jog, 20 mins 10k pace 20 mins jog)

On the Monday after the 90 min weeks just go for 45 min jogs.

Try not to get injured in football or kb and that should see you through in a good time.
  • Thanks J1M,

I'll be stopping football and KB 3 weeks before, so I can concentrate on running and not take any risks. How do you taper? I was just going to spend  the last week not doing much!

The distance and time is in the legs now, I just need to make the most of it, and then in the days leading up prepare wellI think.

• In the last 2 weeks I would run a hard 90 mins two weeks before then over the the following days I would run alternate days but not hard so Monday easy 60 mins, Wednesday 20 mins warm up 20 mins at race pace 20 mins warm down, Friday 30 mins jog, Sunday 60 mins jog, Tuesday 30 mins jog then 30 mins Wednesday or Thursday depending if the race is Saturday or Sunday leaving 2 clear days before the race.

Last 2 weeks training won't take effect by race day but will stop you loosing training effect and keep you sharp.
  • Cool thanks. Lose things way too quickly when you stop.

I'm looking forward to getting it done now. No pressure on the amount of running I have to do then. I can just go out for 5 miles at the weekend and enjoy it. I don't have to get out in the mornings etc, unless I want to. It has been cool to commit to some training and see it through.

Oh, and Jeremy Lucas, thanks for the well done!

• SDCC, I assume your just talking about the taper period in your last post?

You need to do more in the proceeding weeks.
  • I meant after. I've made huge improvements and pushed myself hard over what will be a 5 month period by the time the GSR comes round.

I'll be looking forward to running with no particular aim in mind.

Of course, for the next few weeks I'll keep the training up. But the end is in sight.