car insurance

Past three years I've been the main driver and my OH a second driver. It was done this way as he was a learner when we got the car and then we left it as I was (a) female and (b) had been driving 10+ years. Today I plugged in all the details into a comparison site and got quotes £200-£300 cheaper with him as the main driver. Any idea why? Especially as I have 10 years more driving experience and he had an at fault claim last year.

Comments

• The women having cheaper quotes thing was abolished a few years ago as it is a form of discrimination. No idea why he is cheaper as main driver if you have been driving longer with no claims? Perhaps your occupation changes it? Im a shift worker so my insurnce goes up becuase of it.

• My insurers wanted to put up my premium when I removed my exOH as a named driver when we got divorced. And he was the one who'd had a 3 month ban for speeding image

I told them where to get off

• Thanks for responses. Trogs - a friend on Facebook commented hers went down when she added her boyfriend to her insurance! I just hate the way the whole process is so opaque. Looks like a call to current insurers is in order as they have given the cheapest quote for him as lead driver.
  • @Hells85 - cheaper quotes for women weren't abolished a few years ago.  They will, however, disappear at the end of the year.  That applies to all financial products.

Women have always wanted equality.  Now it's starting to cost them more money.

• There's little in the way of obvious logic with insurance - don't think about it, just grab the best deal however it comes!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Intermanaut wrote (see)

@Hells85 - cheaper quotes for women weren't abolished a few years ago.  They will, however, disappear at the end of the year.  That applies to all financial products.

Women have always wanted equality.  Now it's starting to cost them more money.

It boiled down to statistics - women drivers make fewer claims and for smaller amounts.  That was determined to be discriminatory towards men, who make more claims for larger amounts.

• @Wilkie - it's more complex than that.  I'm not talking about car insurance - all financial policies for women will be more expensive from the end of this year.  That includes pensions, critical illness cover, life assurance, home insurance, dental, etc.

• Whilst I'm all got equality, I still don't get why the quote for him as main driver is ??300 less than the other way round!
  • @Catalin Bond - perhaps you're a higher risk driver.  If the primary policy holder is a higher risk, then the policy costs more.

• One phonecall to the insurance company later and my OH is now main driver on the policy. Spoke to three people who all sounded suprised when I mentioned the quote difference, and could offer no explanation.

Can't think how I am higher risk; I've been driving 13 years, him 3. I've never had an accident, he had an at fault accident 1 year ago. I'm 31, he's 30. Oh well. It's maybe better this way as he does drive more often than I do. It was nice being able to drive oter cars though!

• I'd like my insurance to go down by £300. That'd mean they'd be paying me. image