Friday 31st August 2012

Morning

Todays lyrics:If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man,

Yesterdays lyrics: Paperback Writer by The Beatles.

What:An Easy 4M done.

Why:My legs (calves) are a bit stiff this morning so eased through run.

Dry, cold, no wind. Cracking morning for running.

Comments

• Morning.

Sounds as though you enjoyed your holiday chickadeee.

Blisters - your swimming is really coming on if you can throw in a faster couple of lengths at the end of a mile just for the heck of it.

Tom - your new club seems to suit you.

birkmyre - any idea why?

What:        30 mins easy or nothing
    Why:         head vs heart
    Last hard:  getting up this morning was hard
    Last rest:   29/8

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all.

What: job interview
    Why: I don't have one at the moment!!
    Last hard: trying to work out if this interview will be in English or German.  If it's the latter I'm screwed before I even start!

Nice 4.5 miler up the hill behind the house with my club (all of 3 people!) last night.  Rain of biblical proportions, couldn't see where we were going at all!  Had to walk up some of the hill, but ran a lot more than last time.  Must be getting better right?  One day I will conquer it.

Kitchen being fitted today, after 3 weeks of microwave cooking the time has finally arrived, and I am so unbelievably excited about it (though they were meant to be here by now...)

Anyway...have a good day all.

• Lyrics: mmm, should have at least recognised yesterdays!image
    BM: nice bright morning in the far North
    LMH:
    steady progress on road back to health
    emzap: good luck

What: nothing

Why: Westray Bis Geos run tomorrow and see daughter on boat back to Uni tonight

Last rest: Wednesday

Last Hard: Saturday

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning

Off to bed but i know the lyrics nice one Birks love this

Run later  it shall be short  but  something of a century to celebrate image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

happy friday all,
    Lyric - I think so...
    Emz - good luck with the i/view, and soon enough the hill will be conquered!
    Tom  - club sounds good, a little like my own with the structure/speeds
    Blisters - good work in the pool!
    OH - good luck tomorrow
    Pammie - a celebration?  congratulations?

What - done 2 miles into work although that was a strugglke to get motivated
    Why - only chance I have, as its my youngests 11th birthday and I think we're straight out when I get home
    Last Rest - a week ago
    Last Hard - motivation to run when I got off the train this morning (you're not the only one LmH  !!  )

• Lyrics: again a zero, but yesterdays are obvious now.
    Emzap: good luck on the interview. Zey have vays of making you talk.
    Pammie: I didn't know you were that old! You look fit on it.
    Dustin: I guess that's a JFDI run? 30 mins at lunch? Jog back to the train?

Today for me, Wifey is anticipating that I do my (now) routine Friday swim. I also fancy a run in the autumnal sunshine. It smells like marathon season.

• Lyrics - Yep, takes me back a bit! You win some, you lose some, its all the same to me image

What - 1 mile warm up, 4 miles steady with some fast bursts

Why - because its on my scheduleimage

yesterday cycled to work and back (12 miles) as not running

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning from the dementia clinic. Not my turn for a few years yet, I hope.

Lyrics: no, but how I didn't get yesterdays I don't know!

What: stretches, exercises

Why: fight the flab and have decided that the next "run" will wait until tomorrow or Sunday.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    G'day

Lyrics - Yes. If you like these then you'll also like The Wildhearts, another OTT rock band.

Alehouse: we had similar problems with our parents a few years ago. It's a difficult time, but it made me wonder what I would be like when my time comes.

My what, why's and when are:

What: 5.7 easy miles

Why: Recovery

Last Hard: Yesterday

Last rest: 18th August

I'm finding more recovery benefit from a slow recovery run rather than a complete rest day at present.

Blisters: Good posts from you on the Middle Ground. Like the "completing rather than competing" viewpoint....I think that's about where I'm getting to as well.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

I actually managed a club run last night, just shy of 4 miles, no calf pain image

lmh, hope you are getting better

oh good luck with your run and daughter heading back to uni!

emzap good luck and happy days re kitchen!

wow pammie, a century, nice one!

dustin enjoy the youngsters b'day celebration!

mm hi and welcome, and I still dont know the lyrics!

alehouse youa nd me re fight the flab

what: cycle home 22 miles, cant wait!

why: fight the flab

last hard: last night

last easy: weds

have a great weekend all, off to my first spurs game of the season tomorrow, they have been waiting for me to go!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Alehouse how did the clinic go?

• Lyrics: Ahhhhh yes, now it makes sense, thanks 'Mum. Call me a ****head.

Tom, when I first started this running and entering HM competitions I was alongside people who had clearly been faster in previous seasons. One chap said that he never trained as such, just turned up on a Sunday and had a 13 miler. The approach made me wonder about the mindset, but he had clearly been there and done that and got enough T shirts. Obviously I didn't understand it, because I was on the rise, but I see it more clearly now.

Today's working from home has involved too much work, and not enough distance from home.

• emzap - didn't you just go through all that with your house here before you left?

OH - busy weekend for you.

Wabo - glad to hear the calf held up.

Happy Birthday to (littlest?) Miss Dustin.

Blisters - I guess a large part depends on why you run. I'd certainly like longevity and accept that at some point that will mean declining times - though I'm not ready for that point yet.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Yes century today (cheers Blisters) image 100 days of running  so quite happy and feel good. Good run despite 6 hours kip

Blisters was worried at your first post as i thought you would get these lyrics

What 3 miles
    Why: routine
    Last Hard: Monday

• Evening

Welcome to Max Mum can't remember if said that before. Yeah you know todays song.

LMH: I think I slightly over did yesterdays session. hence calves being a bit stiff.

Wabo: Glad the calf is pain free

Dustin: Happy Birthday to the youngster.

Pammie: Glad you like it.

I'll explain choice tomorrow.I did like them as a youngster though

Been dreich since about 11am here.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening! Back in the north-west and after a beautiful day in the East Midlands its cold and very wet.

Emzap, and others: the clinic...mum was in for ten minutes... and I was in for nearly an hour! Having said last time that she was too low a priority I think I may now have persuaded them to change their minds and look into some sort of care package at home. Over the last 24 hours I have seen more and more signs of her not coping, both in a physical sense (house not clean, food rotting in fridge...and by the way I pay a cleaner who is about to be replaced) and her mental capacity. For example yesterday we spoke about which would be the best way to drive to the clinic; this morning, I asked mum if she would be ready in half an hour: "why?" and "what clinic"! And she hasn't been taking her tablets (Oh yes I have/Oh no you haven't/Oh yes I have etc), which means her mental capacity will affect her physical capabilities. Anyway I believe progress was made today!

Tom,  or anyone else: all tips on the above are welcome!

And one bit of advice for anyone with a parent over about 58 should take out Lasting Power of Attorney now, just in case its needed. Just trying to work out what age I am now.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

alehouse hope you do get some good help there.  I have a very good friend whose dad has pd (with dementia)and the change in him lately is quite distressing to see at times. 

well I did cycle home all by myself, 20.69 miles a really good ride and all the hills I used to think so tough were so do able

nice chilled night in now, ta ta folksimage 

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Yes, its not easy at times, Wabo, but I feel the biggest help I can be is to "stay calm and carry on"...trying to organise help, chaotic finances ("I know what I'm doing" etc)!  And enjoy Spurs tomorrow!

• Ale; Glad it seemed to go well

wabo: Sounds a good cycle with your fitness improving.

• Strength and sympathies if that's the right phrase to those with challenges.

Wabo, that sounds like a nice ride..

Quite a pleasant day here, which was frustrating as I spent so much of the time looking at it. But I did get a run in preference to a swim. To be honest I felt as though I had a bit of a cold. It may just be something mild lurking, and a swim would always be second choice at best.
    Thinking of Tom, I went out for a nice 8.4 miles around a regular, moderately hilly route. I used to call it the ostrich run, but they have long since departed. O'all 1h04m. Average pace 7:42 for an average HR of 136. That's got to be a lie because it was hammering 154 for quite a while.
    8:04 at 119hr (warming up)
    7:54 at 135 some uphill
    8:02 at 137 much uphill
    7:36 at 130 gravity bonus
    7:36 at 134
    7:40 at 128
    7:37 at 139 -looking at watch now and staying below 8 m/m
    7:25 at 142 (max HR was 154 in the last mile)

Interestingly the legs weren't feeling too fresh beforehand, but clearly loosened. The cold symptoms appear to have gone away a lot too. I'm quite pleased that some of the old pace has returned after a relatively short time in the saddle.

• near gale and heavy rain forecast for Saturday image