Monday 3rd September 2012

Morning.

Lyrics - Woah-oh-oh-oh

Alehouse - hope the reaction, if there is one, is tiny indeed.

7d - no point in quality at this stage as Alehouse says.

Alehouse - do you think I should go down to one session a day and make that a run or a ride/swim on non-run days until fully recovered? Initial plan for today was an easy swim this morning to loosen the legs (which have been very achey since my first run post-Orkney) and an easy run this afternoon. Agree totally that the running is the important part but not used to just doing that.

You're marathon training aren't you NZC? I think yours is almost the same time as Abingdon - 21st October?

Blisters - great that you can see your swimming improving as you are.

What:           short easy swim/pm easy run or just run
Why:            see above
Last hard:     not racing yesterday
Last rest:      29/8

Yesterday's lyrics were Lazy Sunday by the Small Faces.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

think maybe I know your lyrics LMH...

what: track and swim later

why: monday

last hard: yesterdays hilly 40 miles on the bike!

Last easy: yesterday afternoons lush bomb bath!

happy monday peeps!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • morning all!
    7d - good 5k/5m races!
    postie - good stuff, do u have an Abbo target?
    Wabo - good work on the bike
    RFJ - solid PRing
    Spark - superb debut
    Blisters - I find with barn dancing its best not to mention it ..... image

lyric - hmm, maybe , maybe not, possibly not the one LmH is thinking of...

Didnt post yesterday, but after Saturdays long run that left the legs knackered, found myself at the track while girls trained....so did mile easy w/up, then 7.25 miles on trails/footpaths at ~7.50 m/miling and found it surprisingly easy going....

Today - something short
    Why - recovery
    last rest - 9 days
    last hard - saturdays 2hrs

• Morning!

Wabo: I would have thought the last hard was watching Spurs! Take care at the track: LOTS of stretching and warming up!

LMH: As it is illness ou are protecting in the main, rather than injury, I would certainly do no more than one session a day...indeed, four runs in the week and perhaps little else! However, given you will want to do something else I would make that gentle swims (an opportunity to work on technique, perhaps) and easy biking, just turning the legs over. Another however is that you could risk things, perhaps, if you feel ok and hit September quite hard, and then ease right back from the beginning of October.

Talking of legs, a little tenderness in the Achilles this morning (not calf, thankfully). Will see what physio's view is this pm. Won't be rushing htings, although I want to! I've taken a long time to get to this point so don't want to be wrecking things now!

Lyrics: what Dustin says.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good news on your legs this morning Alehouse. I shall listen and prioritise the running and save my energy for that and (hopefully) getting over this infection so this week will look something like an hours easy run today; two hour MLR tomorrow, short, easy swim Wednesday before smt then a run on Thursday if I can after I've seen the dentist - hopefully another MLR, rest or 30 minute run on Friday (usually a longer day work wise) and then it will be the weekend again! Sound like a plan?

Nice to have a run easier than expected Dustin.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

groan alehouse, I forgot about that, it was absolutely dire!! I will be cycling to the track and do about 4 laps to warm up and probably only half of the session, easy does it!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

good news re legs alehouse

• Off the see the man this afternoon. Might go to beach for a dip after if i'm able.

Hopefully training commences tomorrow!

• Fingers crossed Paddy!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

good luck paddy

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon

Lyrics: I do know a song with these, but whether or not the same one that LMH has chosen, remains to be seen.

LMH - hopefully you are now on the road to recovery, likewise Paddy.

Dustin: good running, have you got any racing lined up?

Alehouse: continuing circumspection is still the order of the day.

The current "comeback" is 32 weeks in, and totals 1150 miles (ave 36mpw), with the last 10 weeks all at 40-50mpw. The thing that's been nagging me over this period is the distinct lack of any sign of improvement and my inability to run a session at sub 8:00 pace - a speed that historically I've never run slower than! It's reached a stage that I can't anticipate in advance how any given session will turn out - I simply can't match the required pace to the desired distance. This weekend was typical - Saturday I ran 8 miles with the club and was struggling to stay with the group despite us only running at 8:25 pace, and Sunday was a shambolic 9 miles at 8:40 pace. Despite the doubt and frustration and the enormous deterioration in performance standard, I do realise that its just a matter of plugging away and hoping that that things will come together......

....which brings me to this mornings effort. I was feeling so out of sorts that I contemplated not bothering at all. Then I persuaded myself to get out for a short easy recovery run. A mile in, I'm in the same old territory - running at an unsustainable speed, so I decided to push as hard as I could up to three miles; the recovery run had now turned into a tempo run. At three miles I slowed to a jog and gradually started to pick it up to a sustainable steady pace: the tempo run has now reverted to a steady run! Surely in all that pratting about there should be a couple of sub 8:00 miles?

Garmin mile splits were 8:02, 7:30, 7:24, 7:52, 7:22...overall 7:38.....total bewilderment! I guess that what happens when you keepon keeping onimage
  • What: rest after weekend
    Why: busy weekend and still dithering whether to try LSR tomorrow.
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Last rest: yesterday (if you discount the 10 miles walking)

30+mph SW forecast for tomorrow image
    (but guess that means I'm unlikely to be doing any kayaking)

Paddy - beach sounds good - wherabouts are you based?

• Tom - its all coming together!!!
    Racing wise, doing the Hellrunner (november) but want to give the cross countrys a good go this year, and trying to keep the miles up/ ticking over (average 40+ per week) as pretty sure I'll succumb to an ultra next year. There......I've said it.....

• Tee hee, those misheard lyrics made me chuckle. Especially Pammie's small boatman in China!

LMH: always a humbling experience when you are out running and encounter somebody that can't. I struggled badly on my log run today when a saw a man who'd obviously had a stroke (his left arm was paralysed and he had trouble with the left leg too) but he was still trying to convince his body to run. That quickly made me forget my own worries! Sorry to read you are not well.

Paddy: glad you are de-sulking

7D: good to see you dropping back in. Great 5k time! And well done on yesterday's race too.

Postie: nice long run and some speedy MP stuff in there!

spark: hello and congrats on the GSR.

RFJ: that's a speedy junior you have!

Tom: great session keeping on! But of course complete pants as recovery run.

what: 22 miles
    why: I was hungover yesterday and only managed some miles on the MTB
    last hard: I choked on some water today and ended up with a horrible stitch.
    last rest: can't remember
    lyrics: could be anything! The one that springs to my mind is related to football ... I'm probably way off!

• What rest
    Why monday
    Lyrics could be anything

Blisters My current pb for the marathon is 2:58:35(?) set at London last year. I feel that I am capable of going a bit faster providing I don't get another significant injury. The consultant I saw for my knee suggested that I treat Abo as a "training" run, so to answer Dustin my target for Abo is anything under 3:15 but not to push the knee and target London for between 2:55 and 2:45.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

What: lacrosse coaching
    Why: new team, but I've been asked to help out with coaching already image
    Last hard: the 15 ish km of yesterday, big hills!

LMH good to see you're being sensible
    Alehouse good news!
    Tom some good work there!

Have a good evening all.

• Afternoon

Tom its coming together, Have always said running is a funny ole game (sorry Greavsie) you think nothingis progressing then it surprises you Nice session

Paddy fingers crossed
    Emzap that sounds fab sounds as if you've settled in, will you be playing squash as well?

What: 3.26 miles
    Why: woke late
    Last Hard a week ago
    Lyrics No

• Hey all, thanks for the good words. Kilkenny half-mara cancelled today, got the email at work. £80 on fees and stuff I won't see again. Worse things happen in life but a bit of a kick in the bum.

Good training and work, emzap, postie, Dustin, Tom, chicka. Well earned rest everyone else! Lot of people seem to be going for the bikes at the moment, interesting.

• 7D Thats a shame did they say why

• That's a mega shame, 7d. I take it you have paid flight and accommodation: are you going to use them still? Or will you look for another half nearer home?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Ale: accomo was only deposit and they've been fine about cancellation. Flights are gone - Ryanair make it impossible to change names to sell it on. Race & train fees in the process of being refunded. Thinking about doing the Garstang half on the same day, or maybe having a go at my 10k time at Boggart Chase.

• That's speedy, Tom! Neither tempo or steady: must qualify as an extended fartlek!

Physio report: circumspect was mentioned! Heading in the right direction. Listen to body. Expect to be creaky first thing in the morning. Up the exercises as long as the creakiness lasts no more than a couple of hours and backs off. No static stretches: gently dynamic only. "Run" 3 times a week up to 10 x 30 seconds. Walk. Walk backwards lots. Review by email in two weeks. Next visit in four.

• 7D: bad news about Ryanair. For what its worth I would do Garstang. Boggart is likely to be pretty hilly and not a PB course: have you ever run there! We used to go there for the longggg hills! Try to look at times from previous races: do you ever use http://ukresults.net/   or

http://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2012/index.php

• Yeah, I use both. Garstang it is!

• 7d: Sutton 6 which is now a 10k is the fastest course on that day but wouldn't know how you would get there! Ran it years ago as a 6 miler and it was quick. Edit: I think it was actually a different Sutton (Sutton St. Helens) that I did now that I look at the results.

• That's a shame 7d - lack of entries?

Circumspect positivity it is then Alehouse.

• Now upgraded to severe gale warning (force 9) here Tuesday afternoon so that might curtail activities.
  • Pammie/LMH: 'circumstances beyond control'. There were a lot of people copied into the email but given the vagueness I'd say that lack of entries. Dublin Marathon is the same weekend, as well as being near halves like Dingle and Valencia Island - might take the shine off.

Opted for the Sutton Six 10k, think I can take a train to Chester and get a taxi to the hamlet it's in.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

sorry to hear 7D ref the race, but looks like you have most of your new plans sorted.

Chick - Jnr is 16 and 17 in Nov... too fast for me now...

5.25m before work (new job today, all went well)

Club committee meeting tonight - Painfully slow going, but going in the right direction

Take care

• RFJ: forgot the new job started to day! Hope it continues to please! I guess everything has been sorted out club-wise and that there is no need to move! How much training is junior doing?

• 7D, my parents live in  Garstang. I've got my 10 mile pb there. Hissing rain and cold. I only warmed up by mile 8. If it's basically the same course it's good for pbs.

Tom, now that WAS a cracking run. I totally relate to that sort of outing. Dire dire dire, wind it up, finish on a screamer.

For me, traffic delays meant that I got home an hour and a half later than planned. End of fun.