My road to Rio

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good post Johnny D....i think it'll take Mike mixing with the likes of you (2nd U20 at 5k this year...great going!!), at an AC to understand the aim in mind.

So what about you then...is Olympic B standard in your mind? About 45secs or so off? Do you see that as doable for Rio yourself?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Maybe we have got a genuine Olympic hopeful on the thread after all.

I'm keeping my eye on Johnny D.

• Fairplay Jonny D has some serious potential there if he's doing those times at his age, I wish I was shown that running was a sport when I was very young, I think we'd have alot of teens as qiuck as Jonny D if they were encouraged to try the sport seriously.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I guess the draw to running compared to football is just miniscule....it's one thing being inspired by Mo's once in a lifetime achievement, but when you have the weekly glamour of the Premier league, with the more interesting sport, higher wages, and no need to run 100miles a week, then it really takes special will to want to become a top runner!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

All the more reason to celebrate the success of Adam Gemili, one of the rare occasions someone comes from football to running after realising they're better at running in a straight line than running after a ball.  Seems like a nice fella as well.  image

• One thing that struck about Gemeli was that if you had that amazing pace surely you would want him playing up front rather than at left back. That is, unless his skills with a ball were simular to his skills with a baton.

Yes he seems like a nice fella and a good prospect for the future.
  • Tricky - what do you mean Father Christmas is a fairy tale!!! image

I think that the great advice on here is being missed - no-one is saying that MR won't make a good runner, just that getting to Olympic standard and selected in 4 years with no current formal track record is completely unrealistic.

I know people to say you should aim high but there is always the risk if you aim to high the arrow is going to come straight back down and hit you where it hurts.

MR - the best thing you can do is join a good AC and see what their coach thinks and how you compare with others that have been training and competing for a few years. Then reassess your goals and maybe (just maybe) we will just need to postpone this thread for four years!?!

• Stevie G your right there about the profile of football being bigger than running, all to often non runners joke "it'll ruin your knees" even though us runners are probably injured less than footballers and last much longer. They also say why would you wanna poumd the pavements mile after mile, yet there not willing to try it at a reasonable level to get the reward of sub 18min 5k, sub 40min 10k, sub 90min half marathon an so on, I dont get why football is our national sport because I actually think were better at other sports than football. And if we had kids starting as early as the africans we'd probably be that good too. If enough people tried your bound to get a handfull of world class runners, surely.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

We are better at some other sports, but often the priviledged stuff like rowing. Football is still accessible to all, even if the ticket prices at the top end have takne it away from the natural working class roots.

We're not actually that good at running either don't forget. Mo Farah is African, trains outside the UK athletics system, has the best coach in the world, trains in America, and often goes to Kenya for altitude training. He couldn't be less like your classic English runner.

Also, unless it's the Olympics, how interesting is watching your average running race compared to football. Let alone, interesting enough to watch very week.

The knee thing is annoying. In my experience, it's the people who have played footy for years who end up with the knackered knees. It's the twisting and turning, and the physical contact that mashes them, not just running in a straight line over and over again.

• The only time you see young kids out running when the Olympics are on the telly, after a week it's back to football, can't see this changing we need more covarge at local and national level all year round.   

• hey thats not true!!!!! im simon and im 15 years old and im a very keen runner. i run every day to squeaze the best out of me and im currently running a 34minute 10k so my training is obvslly paying of.

• "We are better at some other sports, but often the priviledged stuff like rowing. Football is still accessible to all, even if the ticket prices at the top end have takne it away from the natural working class roots."-Stevie G.

Yes I agree there it does seem to be the "priveleged" sports that we excel at.

Also there is the fact that sports like cycling just aren't interested in young people if they cant get to a velodrome every other day, even they may of got good results on the road to back them up.

The Farah "British" thing is a fair point too when he was born in somalia a.d so on.

I do have to disagree though on the idea that football is more entertaining, essentially its kicking a bag of air round a pitch, with the richest team generally winning. I prefer running because you get to see normal working people bettering themselves socially, fitness wise and gaining confidence in there ability to take on challenges.

William- do you think kids go back to footy a week later just because thats what everyone else does, in the 5 years of high school we had 2 cross country races which I was fortunate enough to finish 2 & 3rd other people who were clearly capable of beating me didn't because there 'mates' weren't trying so this somehow ment they had to do a half arsed effort too, rather than try to excel.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Andy - sounds like your mates werent made of the right stuff to have become good runners anyway. If they cant be bothered to  race they dont sound like the types to put the hard mileage in training thats required either. 

if football is kicking a bag of air around then athletics is just running round in circles.  there is a reason why athletics is hardly on the tv but football is 24/7.  The general public seem to prefer it

• That's a cracking time for your age Simon although you do realise that putting your real name down will lead to stalking of your times by various forumites. Not mentioning any names or suggesting Liverpool's current captain in any way.. image
  • DASH RIPROD wrote (see)
    That's a cracking time for your age Simon although you do realise that putting your real name down will lead to stalking of your times by various forumites. Not mentioning any names or suggesting Liverpool's current captain in any way.. image

+1 to that! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cheeky friggers...me and Simon are buddies from a previous thread, so no stalkies required.

That's enough from you Dancing...unless you're local and around my age, then we can go for a run sometime image

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

The knee thing is annoying. In my experience, it's the people who have played footy for years who end up with the knackered knees. It's the twisting and turning, and the physical contact that mashes them, not just running in a straight line over and over again.

Having not played football in any meaningful way since school, I was a bit miffed to have to have an operation on my left knee 8 weeks ago. Great diet, plenty of rest, careful rotation of a selection of running shoes, neutral gait, quiet running pattern, BMI just over 20.0 and i hear that my meniscus is knackered. I know an exception does not make or break a rule. It was just annoying that's all, when I've heard so many people tell me that it was my own fault for running so much.

image I felt the same way when the surgeon blamed old age, or genetic factors, as in, "There's naff all you can do about it". How am I going to be faster than the kids now then, if I am only allowed to run 3x a week?!?

• That's totally amazingly funny. Just brilliant.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nick, I saw you mention elsewhere that you're in your 50s...your style of posting is like you're some mischevious teenager.

Tricky, bad news old bean. The way to look at it, is how you might have been if you hadn't run. You might have been out of shape, and ended up with even worse knees, but without the enjoyment of the running over the years.

Some people have their own pre determined views that they won't change.

I for instance thinks it's grossly unwise when you see those weight goons who are so muscular they can't walk without scraping their arms against their sides. The heart can only take so much surely, and with all that extra bulk to pump around, surely disaster is just round the corner.

And you think us runners are sometimes unbalanced in muscle strength...how many of these weights goons do exactly the right level of work on each key muscle to avoid glaring imbalances...

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Cheeky friggers...me and Simon are buddies from a previous thread, so no stalkies required.

That's enough from you Dancing...unless you're local and around my age, then we can go for a run sometime image

Simply indicating that there are multiple powerof10 stalkers on here... Maybe some day.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

StevieG - give it a rest fella.  You were nearly hitting on some poor bloke the other day!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

PP, that wouldn't be a celebration, that would be a world of pain!

Dancing, the thing I find pointless about power of 10 stalking, is that it misses half the races out.  There's a couple of mad stalking dogs on my thread, who love the "head to head" facility.

There's a guy locally I must have lost to about 40 times, yet on power of 10, he's something like 4-0 up!

He's beaten me more than 4 times in one summer series for cripes sake!

• YEAH I KNOW. none off my pbs have been updatded in ages.

• If they don't go up you just need to login and self-submit with a link to the results image.

• Good one Nick, will start work on the "bloat up the kids programme" as soon as i get home. I'm much faster than them at the moment, but one has to think long term right? By the time Rio comes round, I should have their BMIs over 30. So even if I've become a decrepit old Zimmer-user, I should be able to get to the remote control before them, to watch Team GB on that telly and keep an eye out for anyone i might know.

• Four years to get a BMI over 30? More like 4 months! Meat pies are the answer.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Tricky - As well as ensuring they gain a lot of weight it is probably worth keeping them away from barefoot running. That solves all problems, prevents all injuries and will allow them to run super fast.

• I just had to bump this, too funny to let it die. Sorry. image