What time makes a proper runner a runner

Comments

• I go out running so I'm a runner. I'm a slow runner yes, but if what I do would get me disqualified from a walking race for running, then I'm a runner.

Pretty pathetic to lie about your PB though.

• David Castle you need to do better than 4 hour marathon to be a runner!

Gerald Ratner the guy that said the jewellery in his shops did not last as long as a Marks and Spencer sandwich!

The jewellers went bust and disappeared from the high street. What was the name of the magazine ?

• I have to say I subscribe to the magazine, mostly because it used to carry a reasonable amount of ultra running coverage/articles. Now it's the same tat as everywhere else - how to run a fast 10k on only 5 minutes training every 2 years, how to buy kit as a beginner, how to lose weight by eating pies etc etc etc.... and hence why most of my subscriptions will be cancelled....

• ultrarocker wrote (see)

Now it's the same tat as everywhere else - how to run a fast 10k on only 5 minutes training every 2 years, how to buy kit as a beginner, how to lose weight by eating pies etc etc etc

• I ran my first sub40 10k this weekend so I have morphed from jogger to runner at some point on Sunday morning. It doesn't feel too different to be honest. image

• ultrarocker wrote (see)

how to lose weight by eating pies

*subscribe*

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Muttley: "running fast is so vulgar". I think I might get a t-shirt with that on it image .
    THATS FAB-LOVE IT!!
    ultrarocker wrote (see)

how to run a fast 10k on only 5 minutes training every 2 years, how to buy kit as a beginner, how to lose weight by eating pies etc etc etc....

I splurted my drink reading that-v funny!! lol
    Chris Shipley wrote (see)

I ran my first sub40 10k this weekend so I have morphed from jogger to runner at some point on Sunday morning. It doesn't feel too different to be honest. image

Chris, how will you cope with this new title!!!

ultrarocker, being a fellow ultra person you will understand...guess those 50/60 miles we did count for nuffin then!

• I would say anyone who doesn't come first is a loser.

Anyone who doesn't train and line up at the start line is a failure.

Anyone who finishes a race is a finisher.

I guess you're not a 'proper' runner until you've finished a race?

Speed and time are irrelevant until, like in walking races, they disqualify you if you stop running.

Both feet off the ground is running.

If you stop and walk part of a race you didn't run it, you finished it, you're still a runner.

I've finished a few marathons and ultras, I've run several half marathons.

Hopefully I'll run a marathon this year if I can keep going up the hill at 21miles that everyone else around me was walking up.

I've got loads of finisher medals but no winners trophies.
  • i'd like a t-shirt saying "this is my long slow run, i can actually go much faster, mate!"

• baldbloke wrote (see)

i'd like a t-shirt saying "this is my long slow run, i can actually go much faster, mate!"

Isn't that the point of Xempo running tops?

• I want one that says "I'll still be going this pace in 40 miles.....will you?"

• ....or even 'i will still be running in 40 miles .......will you?'

• Just realised I bought a copy of Running Fitness this month. I'd bought Outdoor Fitness the previous month and, although I liked it, I thought I'd try a more running oriented magazine (not Runners World - looks awfulimage). I'll be going back to Outdoor Fitness I think. Running Fitness was very flimsy and lightweight and offered very little insight.

• Running Fitness used to be okay, but they had a revamp about 5 months ago, put the price down considerably....and made it a pretty crap magazine tbh....

I've given up on all of them to be fair - it's the same with any hobby, a yearly cycle of the same rehashed articles... it was the same when I was a photographer - how to photograph snow in winter, bluebells in spring, water in summer and trees in autumn...every magazine every year!

It's the same with the running mags, how to prep for your spring marathon (i'm not doing one, I couldn't think of a worse fate than being in VLM), how to use your marathon fitness to set a new 5 or 10k PB in summer (what marathon fitness, I told you, I'm not doing one), how to train less and achieve more (cobblers, it's a computer term GIGO - garbage in, garbage out!), how to eat the latest superfood to lose 3st and run twice as fast (cobblers, eat a sensible diet all the time, it's a lot healthier), how to stay fit while not going out in the rain (stop being a wuss, it's only rain or snow, what, you wouldn't do your race you'd paid for if it was raining?!) etc etc - oh and some gear reviews that cherry pick the latest products that just happen to have full page adverts in said magazine....

• I haven't even warmed upimage

• imageim off................

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ultrarocker wrote (see)

I want one that says "I'll still be going this pace in 40 miles.....will you?"

You either start bloody slow, or have exceptional stamina.

Which is it image

• ;) As the name...I'm an ultrarunner....image I run slowly.... for miles and miles and miles....

• imagewe start slow.....get slower up hill or walk...and keep on goinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng....and yes MattDA...we wear funny socks, arm sleeves,buffs.......and a BIG watch

• Nooo, not funny socks - I wear calf guards now, that's even weirder!

Lou, don't forget the backpack and the headtorch and the map as well... image

• I'd say anyone who runs regularly (say at least once per week, most weeks) is a "proper" runner. I don't think you need to be quick or run a long way or run races to be a proper runner.

As for what constitutes a good result, I've always been happy if I finish in the top half.

• Well said Tom - it doesn't matter how far, or how fast..... if you run, you're a runner, simple as that!

And results are all relative anyway - I could enter a 10k event in the middle of nowhere and come in the top 20% - I could enter a 10k in the middle of a city on a fast course, run the same time and finish in the last third!

• And there was me thinking that all you Ultra guys ran like Anton Krupicka.

• ah man and there was me training to be an ultrarunner just to be told "im not a runner"! image  oh well best to just give up then!

"proper" runner? so not like the ministry of silly walks then?

I knew I was doing something wrong! image

• MattDA wrote (see)

And there was me thinking that all you Ultra guys ran like Anton Krupicka.

Nahhh, the Yanks like to do it the easy way with aid stations every 5 miles, pacers, support crews etc etc - the European self supported way is much more fun image

Besides - have you seen how blue you go if you try running topless across the Peak District?!?!?

• MattDA wrote (see)

And there was me thinking that all you Ultra guys ran like Anton Krupicka.

actually i am training in hauraches! image Guilty as charged! Though not a "proper" ultrarunner yet! ha ha ha but thats a whole new thread! image

• What utter nonsense.

A runner is a runner, it doesn't matter about your speed or distance, it's about the passion you have for running.

• Didn't he also say: "To finish any marathon is an achievement. In his position, he was just over-egging the pudding. He is not the first and he certainly won't be the last."

I'd say his 3:30/ 4:00 comments look more like they were being aimed at high level runners, although he was unfortunate to be quoted as saying "runners"/ "proper runners", and most articles I've seen set the benchmark for that level at 3:00 - so he was being generous if you read it that way.

I wouldn't take offence so easily, without having more context on this.