Tuesday 4th September

We don't need no

This should be easy. For a change.

What? I dunno, I suppose I'll plan something.

Comments

• We missed the opportunity for some great lyrics yesterday.
    Check the opening line from "Papa was a rolling stone".

• nice one Blisters - you'll have to wait till next year to set it

Yes to todays lyrics

What: a run of some sorts don't know where don't know when
    Why habit

• Morning

Slept in yesterday ! opps. A rarity,image

What:4.5M Steadily done

Why: habit

lyrics: Yes.

Catch up.soon

• Morning again

ale: good news on the recovery

Paddy; All the best with your restarting training

Tom: Coming along well

PFJ: Hope you're enjoying your new job.

More to catch up on I know.

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were Good Day by Owl City - it was like summer had finally arrived here, in the afternoon I was too hot walking Grace in t-shirt and shorts!

Shame that work/traffic stopped play Blisters.

Thought it might be your dodgy internet birkmyre.

Hope the new job continues to please RFJ.

What:              MLR
    Why:               dentist on Thursday so don't know what I'l be able to do after that
    Last hard:        haven't done hard for a while
    Last rest:         29/8

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all

LMH good luck with the dentist
    RFJ glad the 1st day went ok
    Pammie can't find a squash club here (or any courts at all).  They sell raquets in the sports shops though which is odd...
    7D that's a real shame.

What: stretching and core
    Why: hip is hurting from yesterday's lacrosse.  Only 4 people there and so I had to join in all the session, coaching from within!
    Last hard: trying to get my team to understand drills in English...

Have a good one all.

• Morning - bright but breezy day due to get up to F9 this afternoon.

What: intention is long run but see above.

Why: Loch Ness marathon getting closer

Last hard: Saturday

Last rest: watched "Downfall" German film of Hitler's last days in bunker last night - cheery stuff

LMH: hope dentist is not too traumatic

Lyrics: ?setting the bar a bit lower today
  • Morning from a damp and dismal north-west: not what was promised, although it is supposed to improve later, whenever later is.

Emzap: a great chance to try out your German in the sports shop and see if they know of any squash courts!

The last few days, indeed the last week, has seen progress in putting bricks into the wall of recovery: today it feels as if the mortar is loose, at the very least. Very painful and can't work out why as I did very little yesterday: the physio only had me do my normal sort of stretches for the camera. Anyway, ice on, and pain may subside in the next couple of hours.

7D:  I don't know whether you caught my reference to this blog: terryrunningonempty.blogspot.co.uk
    but yesterday he wrote about a course: "It's far from being pan flat but no where near as challenging as the Boggart Chase will be in two week's time."
    Re the Sutton race, RobT and Chingo who post on other threads are members of the promoting club, so it may be worth dropping them a line re transport.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all, lyrics yes

blisters will you remember those lyrics for next year?? I know I wouldnt!

lmh, hopefully dentist goes well

alehouse its all frustrating at times eh? My flipping right calf played up on a run last night, as soon as I started doing some fartlek, changing the pace up and down, it started to tighten.  In fact all three times thats when it has happened, anyone know why? I ran last thursday nearly 4 miles at a steady pace and no problems at all. 

I seemto have so many aches and pains these days, did a set of tai chi in my front room this morning think I need to do this everyday.

what: buy new fridge freezer,ouch

why: mine is crocked!

last hard: last night

last easy: sat

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

I thought yesterdays lyrics were Thorn in My Side by Eurythmics, but there you go. In contrast todays lyrics are eminently rememberable.

Alehouse - do you do any self massage at all. I've had similar problems in the recent past (calves rather than achilles) in which the reaction of the injury to any stimulous is totally unpredictable.

Club time trial tonight. Not sure how this will come out after yesterdays unplanned effort. At least I'll get a more generous handicap after last time's effort (4.4M at 8:13 pace!).

Enjoy the day
  • bonjour
    LmH - good luck at the dentist..
    RFJ - good luck with the new job (and the club admin...)
    7D - bummer re race cancellation
    Wabo - happy, erm, shopping?
    Aleh - contiunued healing vibes

What - club session, speedy reps I hope...
    Why - its tuesday!

lyric - yep , and I was right with yesterdays - they weren't the ones LmH said!!

• 7d - there are other races if you dont want to waste the flights. I can recon for you if you want! I know there's a half marathon in Sligo on the same weekend. If youre flying to Dublin the onward journey isnt much further (but in a different direction) and you should get accomodation.

7D - Its actually the Dublin Half Marathon too that same weekend. Although officially closed you might get an entry - i can have an ask for you if you want.

• 2k swim d&d.

Maybe a cycle later.

The man says that its ITB related. He done his stuff and hopefully things are on the up. No big jump back to running just yet.

OH wexford

Great dip in the Sea yesterday with the kids.

• Thanks for the good wishes guys but it's Tuesday today - dentist isn't until Thursday!

Paddy - glad to hear that progress is being made.

OH - best get out early from the sounds of that forecast!

Wabo - I would guess that you run more on your forefoot for the faster efforts and thereby put extra strain on the calf.

That must be very frustrating Alehouse.

• Afternoon!

Wabo:  I would agree with LMH re calf. LOTS of stretching and LOTS of walking backwards! Don't worry about the people at work seeing you walk round backwards all day: they'll get used to it!

LMH: everything settled back down after a couple of hours and walked to the bank and back with no trouble, and then walked a similar distance round a well-known supermarket. No issues.

I'm in a major mood with one of the country's financial institutions: just opened the post to say that they are not prepared to deal with me as they don't feel that the Power of Attorney document is sufficient and require 3 forms of identification for both myself and my brother. And all I did was ask them if there was an account in my mother's name! I am actually taking their response very seriously: it was a quite upsetting, aggressive, letter (my neighbour's view who is a solicitor, as well as mine), sent at a time when people are particularly sensitive, upset by the fact that their loved ones are struggling to cope etc. I am quite sure that their response was not in the spirit of the law even if it was in the letter of the law (and neighbour doesn't think that it is in the letter of the law either.) Rant over!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • LMH - Didn't have that option - just finishing surgery now.

Pictures of the ferry this morning look fairly lively and wind has picked up since then.
    Hamnavoe 4 Sep 2012
    Later ferries have been cancelled!

Maybe head into the wind and see how far I get.image

Paddy - Nice part of the world

Ale - good you managing to keep your chin up

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

thanks guys,really happy to have a reason, it does make sense now.  It isnt hurting too much today.  Will stretch and see how it goes

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • OH: sounds windy! Couldn't open the link but watched forecast yesterday and it seemed like Scotland got a fair hit of strong winds. And the islands are more exposed anyway...

7d: bummer about the race cancellation and wasted money on flights. Ryanair sucks image

emzap: amazing that there is Lacrosse in Germany! I thought it was unheard of over here. Guess I learned something new then!

LMH: hope dentist goes as well as these things can go. Ouch ...

alehouse: ooooh, I can so relate to your feelings of anger. No wonder some people wnat to blow up financial institutions! I'd give them a hand any day! Grrrrrr image

As for yesterday's lyrics: I thought it was the Euro 2012 anthem Endless Summer by Oceana.... completely wrong there!

what: 3 mile recovery and 30k on the bike
    why: becuse of yesterday
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: 25 August
    lyrics: yes!

• Ale, can I Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr along with you?

Wabo, I wish to contradict the other contributors. You're merely getting older. Pack it in. Take up chess.

Some of the schools are back already, but my kids go back tomorrow. The general area has that aura of the quiet before the storm. I was indeed going to use Papa was a rolling stone today, but I mis-remembered the lyrics to the song.

Just back in from a pleasant 16 miles run at an 8:40 pace. The last couple were a bit tiredy, maybe I should have taken some fluids. I checked my weight before and after 11-13 down to 11-7. Fluid replacement programme ongoing.

• Evening

What 8 commute
    Why  Why not
    Lyrics yes

nice and easy 8 this morning with an MLR planned for tomorrow.

• Dustin A place has just turned up on the Abingdon 2012 thread if you're interested from a guy called Daniel Cusworth

• Evening

Why not indeed Postie image

I did 4.43 miles another i  can't believe it run i used to plod around in 10½ minute miles my splits today9:44, 9:42, 9:25, 9:41 4:04 (9:26) hoping its the training and i won't crash and burn

A question for those who cycle esp those who cycle if you do a few hours before bedtime  does it help you sleep Cycle home this morning a little detour 6 miles instead of 2 so not epic but i slept well nearly 1pm when i woke compared to 11am at the latest.

Now compared to running if i run late i know i have trouble  sleeping

• Evening all. Back to work again and really struggling with my right foor again. Likely wont be running til next weekend atleast. Will need to bring the roadbike with me next week.

• Well done Pammie. I think its up to you and your body, the sleepy thing.

This evening I managed another swim session of the 64 length variety. I decided that I would use a pull bouy float for 2 lengths after every 10, so that I could re-focus, and have some practice at left side breathing. It was interesting to see that my overall time was better than last week by a little bit. Obviously all things weren't equal, but then again, neither had I done 16 miles running before the other sessions.
    Progress.

• Progress with each swim at the moment Blisters!

postie - how long will you go tomorrow?

Pammie - I find that anything that raises my HR - whether it be swimming, biking or running, will keep me awake.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Swimming - hats off Blisters... I slowly sink....

Pammie nice running

What - Intervals 8.5m (10 mins warm up / 10 mins threshold (1.52m 6.36mm) 5 x 3mins (.47, .47, .48.48. .43 (hill)) at 10k pace then 10 mins threshold (1.55m 6.28mm) 1m cool down....)
    Why - Plan said so..... it was HARD...
    Last Hard - See above
    Last Rest - Fri

Lyrics - Possible

Take care

• Blisters - that's an active day!

Well I did a VERY SLOW 21 miles. First 6miles straight into the strong wind and over a hill - coming to a standstill at points. Next round a 9 mile cicuit with wind coming from all directions. Then back over the hill with the wind behind me - although this felt very much easier I was only managing 11 MM by this stage. Changeable weather with consistent strong Westerly. Not a cloud in the sky when I set off but mist and drizzly rain as I came back over the hill.
    A random stranger stopped and told me that I shouldn't be running in this weather (of note is the fact she still didn't feel it appropriate to have dipped headlights on)

A bit stiff now but glad to have got the 21 in the bag today

• Evening

Another busy day on here. Good to see.

I'll need to catch up then.

• Evening!

Had a very pleasant one at Trafford open meeting in the company of Hilly, BR, Marders and PRF. Unfortunately contrived to miss the latter's 3k, but particularly enjoyed watching and admiring a strong run by Marders in his 10k. And we all agreed that 10k on the track is much further than 10k on the roads!

What: during the aforementioned meeting just over 4k walk with lots of walking backwards, other stretches and 6 x 20 second "running".

Session went well...but I would not be at all surprised if there were a reaction in the morning. That's OK...as long as it is relatively brief. If so, its another half brick in the wall.

• Lyrics were known by the vast majority of people over 20.
    Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, Pink Floyd.

RFJ, If you want some motivation, then I am truly one who sinks like a brick. I don't even float in the sea. I started my journey into the un-natural environment on May 2nd, by joining the local Tri club and signing up for coached swim sessions, backed up by 2 other slots per week. When I started I could just manage 25m crawl, but needed a breather at the pool end. The coaching was important. Within 3 weeks I'd made 20 lengths, by 6 weeks it was up to 40. I still look like a novice in the pool, but that's not a surprise.